Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-03-2012, 09:19 PM   #141
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: any restrictions/rules for kids' clothing?

ok, what are rash guards?

Advertisement

And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:33 PM   #142
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
I think it's that they prevent sun rash.

They block the sun.

I think the name is really weird, but Magnolia wears a rash guard shirt when swimming.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:53 PM   #143
mamasab
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm finding this thread fascinating! Our rules are kind of quirky in some ways, but that's because my kids are....well, quirky is a good way to put it
DD must have shorts on under her dresses. She doesn't always keep her dress down, is known to sit down and show the world what's under her dress, and is just about as oblivious as you can get to needing to be "ladylike"! However, she insists on skirts and dresses! I don't do bikinis or belly baring, but that's about it as far as restrictions that are limited to her.
DS1 and 2 don't really have rules. They have hand me downs. They wear what we have in their size. I have preferences, but those have more to do with fashion.

My "rules" about how they dress in public are pretty much motivated by special circumstances. When we go out in public, I prefer them to match, have clean and stain free clothes, and look generally well groomed. These are not really a natural inclination for me...in all honesty I'm the kind of lady who doesn't care of all the clothes are stained and the kids are happy. But the rules are due to the fact that my 2 older kids are on the autism spectrum and we attract a certain amount of attention when out and about. I have learned the hard way that when we all look a bit disheveled and my DD flips out in the produce section, I get treated like crap and get questioned by a cop. When we all look nice, people are more likely to help or are just nicer and more understanding. It sucks but it's true, so I try to have us all look put together.
mamasab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:18 PM   #144
AfWife8405
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterisntsomething View Post
ok, what are rash guards?
This.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:34 PM   #145
jamie714
Registered Users
seller

Ok, all I can think of with all these rules is $$$. Maybe that is just because we don't have any. My kids rarely get new cloths. Most of their clothes are hand me downs that keep getting passed between all our nieces and nephews. We don't do immodest but I cant have rules like only collared shirts or no snaps between the legs or no wide stripes. We use what we get. My kids love dressing themselves. I would not take that away from them just because I don't think a green and white polka dot shirt goes with a pink and and tan floral skirt with ruby red shoes. I don't think people look at a miss matched kid in public and think slob, they think cute they dressed themselves. They will learn to match in good time, and it will be a sad day in my book as some of their child like innocence will then be gone. I do however make sure their hair is combed and their face is clean before we go out. For me clean and covered are really my only rules.

As for me, my clothes always match. I am not a free spirited like DD1 (3 1/2). DD2 is already learning to match though at 2 years, she is more like me DD 1 take after DH. He often times clashes horribly just because he can. DS is only three months and I dress him, so for the time being he matches. We are a bit of an eclectic family. A mix of match and miss match.

Last edited by jamie714; 07-03-2012 at 11:40 PM.
jamie714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:51 PM   #146
AfWife8405
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie714 View Post
Ok, all I can think of with all these rules is $$$. Maybe that is just because we don't have any. My kids rarely get new cloths. Most of their clothes are hand me downs that keep getting passed between all our nieces and nephews. We don't do immodest but I cant have rules like only collared shirts or no snaps between the legs or no wide stripes. We use what we get. My kids love dressing themselves. I would not take that away from them just because I don't think a green and white polka dot shirt goes with a pink and and tan floral skirt with ruby red shoes. I don't think people look at a miss matched kid in public and think slob, they think cute they dressed themselves. They will learn to match in good time, and it will be a sad day in my book as some of their child like innocence will then be gone. I do however make sure their hair is combed and their face is clean before we go out. For me clean and covered are really my only rules.

As for me, my clothes always match. I am not a free spirited like DD1 (3 1/2). DD2 is already learning to match though at 2 years, she is more like me DD 1 take after DH. He often times clashes horribly just because he can. DS is only three months and I dress him, so for the time being he matches. We are a bit of an eclectic family. A mix of match and miss match.
My kids pick out their own outfits most days. We are a military family living on a single income in Hawaii, so I understand working with a small budget. My parents had similar *rules* when we were growing up and they buy those type (polos for boys, appropriate dresses/outifts for our daughter) of items for our kids. We pass down clothes from DS1 to DS2 and even the gender neutral items to DD. When I do buy clothing I never pay retail. I bought what we needed for the upcoming school year during the Memorial Days sales. They get swim suits in the Easter Baskets and socks/underwear in there Christmas stockings. When people ask what they can buy the kids for gift we will say something "safe" like solid color tees. My kids have far less clothing than most kids their age that we have come across.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:50 AM   #147
Blue5055
Registered Users

We have "at home only," "non-school approved," and "school approved" clothes.

At home clothes only are things that are stained or torn or too short that ODD [6] is unwilling to part with. For YDD [8 months] it's usually clothes MIL gave me that were my 19 year old SIL's when she was a baby that MIL had saved for grandkids. At home, pretty much anything goes, including make up and high heels and bathing suits, and hula outfits. But she's not to leave the house with any of that on.

Any non-home/school clothes must be clean, stain and rip free, and dresses/skirts must be fairly close to knee length. Nothing low cut. Clothes must match.

School clothes are just like non-home/school clothes but must follow school rules (no spaghetti straps or halter tops). Shorts also must be worn underneath dresses and skirts.

ODD can't wear high heels or make up or bikinis that show too much belly (needs to be a tankini) or bikini bottoms that are too low cut.

Last edited by Blue5055; 07-04-2012 at 02:56 AM.
Blue5055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:36 AM   #148
808mamaof3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have 2 boys, so not much restrictions here. The weather is hot and humid, but they need to wear shirts, shorts and sandals outside. I used to be against characters, but don't mind the ones they like (e.g. trains, dinos, monster trucks, etc.)

Home: at least diaper/underwear
Preschool: t shirt, shorts, covered shoes
church: polo, dress shirt, nice shorts or denim

Currently pg with #3 and if its a girl I don't think I will be super strict. I like the 3 B's rule, a prefer leggings under dresses nothing low cut or booty shorts. Rash guard at beach for saftey, etc. However, with our weather and culture it would be odd to ban tanks, etc. and be covered from our neck to ankles. I mean, it is Hawaii.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:41 AM   #149
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

I am trying to answer this without reading because I wanted to really think about my restrictions. This is something that is coming up in our household more, as my DD gets older and is exposed to more through her friends.

-I don't like turtlenecks. They have all had some, usually hand me downs, but they make me feel gaggy just looking at them.
-No words on the bum. DD got handed down a pair of Baby Phat orangey jean shorts that she loves. We compromised by saying she could only wear them as play clothes at the house, not out anywhere. I don't like the words, but she loves the colour.
-No midriff showing and no spaghetti straps without a tank or a t-shirt underneath.
-No short shorts.
-No track pant material to school, unless they are dressier. I don't dress my kids up to go to school, but I want them to appear tidy.
-I really don't like shirts that put people/things down or glamourize morals we don't like. DS has been handed down some t-shirts that say things like "Sister for sale," or similar, "Winning is my only goal," or whatever. I cannot think of more examples, but some of those shirts bother me on my own kids.
-We steer clear of characters, as a rule, but some find their way in, inevitably. Jammies and the odd t-shirt, I am ok with.

Last edited by Geckmumto3; 07-04-2012 at 05:45 AM.
Geckmumto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:10 AM   #150
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonnabelle View Post
For my boys while out in public, it must be clean. At home, anything goes. Ww

This applies to my boys when we're out in public. While at home, comfort is most important. My 5 year old spends his days in underwear, cause, well, it's danged hot! i have no problem with it. He even runs around in the house naked and it doesn't bother us. He just dislikes clothes, and always has. Jake is 22 months old and is naked while at home or at Nanna's house, because we're potty training him, and it is working really well.

For Ava....well, she's only 7 weeks, but there will be tons. Heck, even now she must have a cover over diaper if it's disposable. I will do leggings when she gets older. No bikini....that's just gross. Shirts under spaghetti straps, and all that.

I do allow the boys to choose their clothes, and while I would prefer they match, I don't fuss too much if they're set on wearing a batman shirt with star wars shoes. I won't let them leave the house in brown shorts and black shoes, though....it gets to me, lol.
Just curious as to why it's ok for boys to be naked but your daughter can't even have an uncovered diaper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
I think it's that they prevent sun rash.

They block the sun.

I think the name is really weird, but Magnolia wears a rash guard shirt when swimming.
They are called rash guards (or rashies) b/c surfers wear them to prevent the board rash that you get on your chest and belly from the board when you are paddling out They do offer great sun protection though And that's why most non-surfers wear them.
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote