Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-30-2012, 11:00 AM   #11
Arabesque
Registered Users

My Mood:
None yet, but when DD is a toddler I'll probably make sure she has shorts or leggings under a dress/skirt. Other than that I don't care too much.

Advertisement

Old 06-30-2012, 11:07 AM   #12
mommy2sammy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
No words/sayings, must be clean and match. No tacky bikinis, must be a tankini or rash guard. Usually ds picks out his shirt and I find the matching shorts for him. Jammie's are his time for self expression, and as long as they are seasonally appropriate, anything goes. Dd is too young to notice still, so I can still be a total control freak with her.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:17 AM   #13
AfWife8405
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: any restrictions/rules for kids' clothing?

For our sons:
- Collared shirts (usually a polo) worn to school. We do not wear t-shirts or character anything to school. Only exception is that they wear the school's t-shirt on field trips.
- Sneakers worn to school. (No sandals/crocs or character shoes for school.) Jack has a pair of McQueen light up sneakers from Stride Rite that he got for his 4th Birthday. He can still wear them to play outside, but not to school.
- Rash guards in addition to swim trunks, no exceptions. This is more about skin protection than modesty.
- Character t-shirts are OK for playtime and days we just hang out at home, but I try to keep them to a minimum because I get sick of looking at them. This is mostly an issue with Jack because he is VERY into CARS.

For our daughter:

- She wears a rash guard and swim shorts to the beach/water park/splash pad. This is for both skin protection and modesty. Personally, I am against bikinis for little girls, this includes bikini bottoms with a rash guard.
- She has one or two tank dresses, but no spaghetti straps.
- Shorts with dresses while we teach her modesty and how to keep her dresses down.
- Dresses past the knee. She is pretty short, so this is not hard.
- Most of her character items are PJs (Dora & Princess.) I think she only has 1 or 2 Dora t- shirts.
- A typical outfit for her is stretch pants and a tunic length tee.

Generally, I am less picky about play clothes (as long as there isn't a modesty issue for dd) because I know they will be gifted things I don't love (like another Cars t-shirt) and my kids are pretty rough on them so they usually don't last long anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbiemama View Post

WHAT DOES EVERYONE THING OF THIS RULE: When she's older, no shorts/skirts above the knee.
This will be our policy!

Last edited by AfWife8405; 06-30-2012 at 11:19 AM.
AfWife8405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:38 AM   #14
maddys_mama
Registered Users

My Mood:
My kids are only 4 and 2 so I'm sure my outlook will change when they get older but for dd:

-Must wear leggings under skirts and dresses
-No spaghetti straps
-No two piece bathing suits unless the top is a rash guard
-No extremely tight pants or low rise jeans
-No inappropriate writing, especially anything on the butt of pants

For ds:
-Must have a shirt on when outside of the house (he prefers to go shirtless around the house)
-Must wear a rash guard if he's in swim trunks outside

I take dd shopping with me so that avoids future conflicts over what outfits she wears. And ds is usually too laid back to care about what we are putting on him.

We allow merchandised clothing but usually the kids only ask for things with Star Wars or the Avengers on them. And since it's so hard to find Girly shirts of those two franchises, I happily oblige if dd manages to find some!
Old 06-30-2012, 11:39 AM   #15
babycat42
Registered Users
seller
seller

I like the rule of nothing above the knee. It would never work for DD, she has really long legs.
babycat42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:55 AM   #16
AfWife8405
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by babycat42 View Post
I like the rule of nothing above the knee. It would never work for DD, she has really long legs.
In school (middle & high school) the rule was nothing shorter than where your middle finger ends when your arms are at your sides. I am 5'9" and my parents would not have had much luck finding shorts long enough for me (I still struggle with this) to reach my knee.

My daughter is very short (compared to our boys at the same age & less than the 50th percentile according to her dr.) so we are optimistic that this rule will work for us.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:10 PM   #17
MommyZ of 2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I am so glad to see so many mamas putting shorts under dresses for their girls. I have 2 boys, so this isn't an issue in our home, but when we are out, this bothers me waaay more than it probably should. We were at an out door concert and a lady had her daughter on her lap who was throwing a fit, legs wide, in her short dress. Little girl squirms down her mothers lap, basically laying over moms knees, and everyone could see her panties with her dress jacked up. Then it got worse when mom pulled her back up to a sitting position as the panties slid down a bit and to the side, exposing her girly parts. She was screaming and making such a scene that many people were looking to see what was going on- only to be faced with a little girls vagina! Not appropriate whatsoever.
MommyZ of 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:14 PM   #18
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't dress my daughter like a hoochie. She is 3.5 right now and when she gets a bit old there will be more restrictions. Right now we don't show our middrift which encompasses swimsuits. She wears a long sleeved rash guard unless we aren't in the sun or with family and she may wear a one piece. We do sleeveless and spaghetti straps for now. No booty shorts of course but she is short so most shorts are knee length.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:27 PM   #19
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Our biggest rule is modesty. I feel like a lot of little girls are overexposed these days. But you can't hardly blame them, that's what they have in the store. When I can't find little dresses and things that are acceptable, I make them for my girls. I also hate character stuff. As far as the to the knee rule, that's what we use for dresses already, both for the girls and for myself. It's also what I use for skirts...but I haven't been able to find skirts that are that long for the girls. I've made them some longer ones, but they both have a denim skirt (or maybe more than one?) that has shorts built in that come just above the knee. I wish they were touch longer, but I don't know where to find any like that, and my sewing machine is not a huge fan of denim. I'm considering getting rid of all the jeans for myself and the girls, because it seems like a lot of what you can find is tight, and I also think it's more ladylike to wear dresses but I haven't really decided yet. I'm also curious to know if some of you ladies out there can answer this...if you wear skirts/dresses all the time while out, do you wear pants at home? I love loungy pants for at home!
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:33 PM   #20
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The 3 B's: Butts, Boobs, and Belly. If I can see any of those 3 B's when you Bend over, it's not allowed. For girls and boys.