Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-30-2012, 12:59 PM   #21
TooBusyBearcubs
Registered Users
Formerly: K**ten
seller

My Mood:
Re: any restrictions/rules for kids' clothing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbiemama View Post
WHAT DOES EVERYONE THING OF THIS RULE: When she's older, no shorts/skirts above the knee.
I think it is a little much - but only a little! Growing up, I went to a private Christian school where uniforms were mandatory. When I was little, the general rule was that your skirt could be no more than 3 inches above the floor when kneeling. So, the below-the-knee rule actually sounds pretty strict to me - not that I'm criticizing. I'd rather be too modest than not modest enough!

I think they actually considered the fingertip idea when I was in highschool (that your skirt can't fall any shorter than your longest finger when standing), but I believe they determined that it was too arbitrary. Too many different body types, etc. If I went by the fingertip rule, my shorts/skirts would all be WAY too short. If you kneel on the floor and stand up straight, you actually have to have someone else there to figure out where your fingers end up, because looking down will actually make you lean forward, and will throw off your mark. :/

I don't have many rules yet. We're pretty relaxed.
I'm actually not completely against spaghetti straps, since it gets SO very hot here, as long as the neckline is straight across and not too low. (I will say, though, that the rule will probably be a little more strict when it comes to adult clothes.)
I prefer that the kids look clean and neat when we leave the house.
No two-piece bathing suits...pretty much ever.
DD is extremely tall and lanky, so even though she is only 2, I am already having a difficult time finding shorts and skirts/dresses that don't look too short on her. I really appreciate the current trend of bermuda shorts!
We just say NO to the middrift.
The Sit-Down Test for pants & skirts will be mandatory before a purchase, as the kids get older.
Also, for DS, he will be expected to wear his pants where they are intended to be worn (not below his tush). He's only 4, though, so no biggie yet.

Advertisement

Last edited by TooBusyBearcubs; 06-30-2012 at 01:02 PM.
TooBusyBearcubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:01 PM   #22
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have lots of rules regarding clothing. When we go shopping or are gifted clothes, I just explain to my DD why something isn't appropriate. She sometimes balks (especially if it's covered in glitter or turquoise- her favorite color) but she gets over it quickly.
I do allow character clothing, but only from shows they're allowed to watch (the shirts that I can think of are Angry Birds, Phineas & Ferb and Cars). The major rule for leaving the house is no stains/wrinkles, somewhat matching and boys cannot wear crocs. We do allow sandals that have backs and DD has a pair of flip flops she can play in. Swimsuits are one piece or rashguard/shorts for DD and trunks for boys with rashguard if we're outside for more than 30 or so minutes. Boys also have to have short hair, girls have to have longer (a few inches above the shoulder or longer) hair.

ETA: We don't allow sleeveless ever, tank tops (not spaghetti straps) are ok when it's really hot outside.

Read about our homeschool journey here.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:05 PM   #23
TooBusyBearcubs
Registered Users
Formerly: K**ten
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpforever View Post
The 3 B's: Butts, Boobs, and Belly. If I can see any of those 3 B's when you Bend over, it's not allowed. For girls and boys.
I love it!
TooBusyBearcubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:11 PM   #24
melyndie
Registered Users
seller

Personally, I hate words and pictures on clothes, so DD has nothing with those on it (except one shirt with flowers on the front, I think).

DD is only 2, and I want her to look like it! So I try to get cute, babyish clothes for her and nothing teen-like. It is crazy how hard it is to find young stuff sometimes! I also don't like her to be too bare, for modesty and skin protection, so she can only wear sleeveless if the tank has really wide straps. Her bathing suit is a rash guard shirt with a skirt on the bottom, mostly for skin protection, but modesty too. I don't like her diaper to show, so she wears shorts or capris under dresses and skirts since she is at the age where she likes to pull up her dress still.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:51 PM   #25
Greenbabybottoms
Registered Users
seller
seller

I am pretty relaxed about clothing. I have 3 girls (5, 3, and 10 months). I don't allow grown up looking bikinis but I'm fine with a regular kiddie bikini (basically no triangle tops or tie bottoms), I want their clothes to fit and be clean. If we aren't going anywhere important I think it's important they dress themselves so often what they pick out doesn't match and that is fine with me.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:56 PM   #26
AfWife8405
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus_Freak_955 View Post
I have lots of rules regarding clothing. When we go shopping or are gifted clothes, I just explain to my DD why something isn't appropriate. She sometimes balks (especially if it's covered in glitter or turquoise- her favorite color) but she gets over it quickly.
I do allow character clothing, but only from shows they're allowed to watch (the shirts that I can think of are Angry Birds, Phineas & Ferb and Cars). The major rule for leaving the house is no stains/wrinkles, somewhat matching and boys cannot wear crocs. We do allow sandals that have backs and DD has a pair of flip flops she can play in. Swimsuits are one piece or rashguard/shorts for DD and trunks for boys with rashguard if we're outside for more than 30 or so minutes. Boys also have to have short hair, girls have to have longer (a few inches above the shoulder or longer) hair.

ETA: We don't allow sleeveless ever, tank tops (not spaghetti straps) are ok when it's really hot outside.
Hmm, I never really thought about hair too much. What made you decide shoulder length for girls?

I do not care for long hair on boys, whenever it starts touching their ears I start to twitch, lol. DS1 has thick coarse hair, so I can keep his pretty short (#2 o 3 on the clippers,) but DS2 has thin fine red hair so I keep it slightly longer (#4) to help protect his scalp. With DS1 I pull out the clippers when his hair touches his ears, but with DS2 I just pull out the scissors.

DD took forever to grow out her hair. It is just now getting to be shoulder length. She has bangs which helps keep hair from getting in her face (I hate that) but I am not sure how much longer I will let it grow. I like the look of long hair but when it comes to tangles its not so practical.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:04 PM   #27
jamie714
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenbabybottoms
I am pretty relaxed about clothing. I have 3 girls (5, 3, and 10 months). I don't allow grown up looking bikinis but I'm fine with a regular kiddie bikini (basically no triangle tops or tie bottoms), I want their clothes to fit and be clean. If we aren't going anywhere important I think it's important they dress themselves so often what they pick out doesn't match and that is fine with me.
Same here. I don't even demand matching when we go out unless we are going to something important - wedding, birthday, nice dinner...

Out of curiosity. Why is matching ranked up there with clean for a lot of people?
jamie714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:18 PM   #28
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Girl-
Dress must hit knees or touch floor when on knees, spanky pants worn under all dresses
No tank-tops except under or over shirts.
Nothing so fru-fru that I have a hard time buckling the car seat.

Boys-
Nothing too short
No tank tops
No mesh shirts (I think they're ugly)

Both- No words or phrases allowed on shirts...specifically the ones that talk badly about their siblings or the other gender or school. Also not fond of the ones that sexualize them (If you think I'm hot you should see my daddy/aunt/mom/etc). Also not fond of the "I love my...."
Nothing 100% fake-fabric except for rash guards.

Hair, I don't like it TOO short, I can't be able to see their scalp. I use a 6 or 7 on DS1, it keeps it off his ears and neck but covers his head. DD's hair is long and will remain long.

We allow 2 piece bathing suits but only tankinis. My daughter has a suit that's a t-shirt and shorts. She is 4, it makes going pee soooo much easier. No actual bikinis...ever.

BUT as long as their bodies are covered I let them wear what they wear. Once DD went out in a pink retro style shirt (polka dots) with a lighter pink long sleeved top under it. She paired it with a green camo skirt over turquoise leggings. We went to the grocery store like that.
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)

Last edited by MamaNae; 06-30-2012 at 02:20 PM.
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:28 PM   #29
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

Not really, I'm pretty relaxed.

My oldest daughter doesn't like short shorts, but my 9 year old wears shorts with a 2.5 inch inseam. I'm fine with it. They both wear slim fitting tees and tanks. I wouldn't allow them to wear shirts that were incredibly low cut, but then again, my girls aren't the type to like that style of clothing and usually wear tanks/camis under regular shirts, anyway. No words on the butt. They both wear bikinis. My teenager has worn strapless dresses to homecoming, parties, etc.

For my boys, I like their shorts to be a certain length (no shorter than just above the knee) because otherwise I think it looks too feminine.

Other than that, I'm fine with anything else. Don't care terribly if they match, if clothes are wrinkled...some days I don't even care if their clothes are dirty.

Not terribly picky about hair, either.

Last edited by Psychomom; 06-30-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Psychomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:33 PM   #30
momtojande
Registered Users
Formerly: JonsMommy

My Mood:

Yeah, mostly relaxed here too. I make sure she wears shorts under the dress, because I don't want her to feel inhibited from playing vigorously. But I'm not concerned about the length of her skirts. And both kids can wear sleeveless shirts. I honestly don't remember whether DD has ever had something with spaghetti straps or not, because that would never strike me as wrong.

But then I remember wearing halter tops and short shorts in the summer when I was a kid. (70s and early 80s). I think it's a little weird how much longer shorts have gotten since then - especially for boys. Swim trunks used to be shorter too, and now boys have to go swimming in shorts that hang down to their knees or below. Who wants to swim with all that wet fabric clinging to their legs?

And hair, I'll let them choose. I prefer buzzed for boys just because it's simple and easy. DS keeps wanting to grow long hair but I don't think he'll ever have the patience for dealing with tangles and taking care of it, so I don't see it happening.

Last edited by momtojande; 06-30-2012 at 06:34 PM.
momtojande is offline   Reply With Quote