Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-30-2012, 06:37 PM   #31
momtojande
Registered Users
Formerly: JonsMommy

My Mood:
Re: any restrictions/rules for kids' clothing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychomom View Post
For my boys, I like their shorts to be a certain length (no shorter than just above the knee) because otherwise I think it looks too feminine.
See, that's what's weird to me. All our old family pictures I look at, my brothers were in shorts that in today's world are too short. Why did that happen?

Advertisement

Last edited by momtojande; 06-30-2012 at 08:23 PM.
momtojande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:39 PM   #32
Djuna2
Registered Users

My Mood:
Weather-appropriate. Occasion-appropriate (cutoff sweats are fine for the park but not for temple). Clean. I don't buy things that have obvious branding, but I don't forbid gifted items. And ... I think that is about it.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:54 PM   #33
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I haven't gotten there quite yet but I'll be pretty relaxed. Ds won't have to match..he can choose whatever he wants. If he chooses short sleeves in winter I'll grab a jacket on the way out for when he gets cold. He can grow his hair as long as he wants or have it shaved. I won't let him dye it though until he's a teenager then he can choose about that. I'm not into phrases on shirts though, I have some he wears just because they are clean onesies but usually not out of the house. For a girl I agree with shorts under skirts and dresses. I always pretended to be an animal when i was little and refused to wear dressing for that reason . I don't know hoe I feel about bikinis yet. I think it will be a case by case basis. Definitely no words on butt, shirts with yucky characters like Justin Beiber etc...I'm curious about the problem with spagetti straps. Is it because it shows armpit? Also if I have a girl she will be able to wear (out of her appropriate wardrobe) whatever she wants, no matching required, and have her hair however she wants (as long as its brushed). I remember as a kid I would have friends who's moms wouldn't let them cut their hair no matter how much they wanted to and I always thought it was so weird. I know it's religious sometimes which is fine but in some cases it just seemed like a control thing.
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:55 PM   #34
Lanasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpforever View Post
The 3 B's: Butts, Boobs, and Belly. If I can see any of those 3 B's when you Bend over, it's not allowed. For girls and boys.
As a middle/high school teacher I pink sparkly heart this rule! I get so tired of seeing those. I think b/c I'm so desensitized to it that if my kid isn't showing one of these then its modest.

I do allow dd to wear a tankini swim suit mainly b/c I hated pulling up a wet one piece after going potty when I was a child. I also hate wresting dd into one. However, we make sure the tankinis are modest IMO.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:01 PM   #35
aldermother
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We're a CDing (potty-learned), co-sleeping (bunk beds), extended BFing (weaned), baby-wearing (big boy-wearing), non-circing, Waldorf loving, tree-hugging, hand-me-downs-welcome Earth friendly family!
PT preschool teacher& FT Mama to my beautiful tree & our little growing sapling

Last edited by aldermother; 09-06-2012 at 12:34 AM.
aldermother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:12 PM   #36
Hope4More
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I have a son, and my rule is he must wear clothes. As he gets older, he must wear clothes the way they are intended to be worn.
I have given my cross to Jesus, who has a special talent for overcoming them, even if it means giving His own life...
Hope4More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:21 PM   #37
megenic
Registered Users
seller

My rule with kids clothes is that I never buy anything that I personally wouldn't wear as an adult. I love Gap girls clothes for this reason. They're trendy and cute without being overly "kid-ish." I never buy anything with characters on it and I loathe t shirts with sayings on them (drama queen, if you think I'm cute you should see my daddy, etc). People always comment on how well dressed my girls are...I like to put them in nice looking clothes that aren't gaudy or cheesy looking ::-)
Old 06-30-2012, 08:45 PM   #38
emerino
Registered Users

DD:
No bikinis except at home with just us here. This rule will remain, with the exception of when she's just with her girlfriends.
I Stay away from triangle cut tops on shirts, dresses, bathing suits. To me, that's a cut made for boobs and even then, it needs a cami under it.
I like shorts at least mid-thigh-length.
leggings or bike shorts under above-knee dresses

Those are the modesty rules. I like shoes to match and be appropriate and hair brushed, etc. but that's secondary.

I guess I don't have rules for DS.

ETA: What's immodest about tank tops or spaghetti strap, as long as it's not low cut? Genuinely curious. My desire is to be modest, but I wasn't taught modesty, so I may still be learning.

Last edited by emerino; 06-30-2012 at 09:07 PM.
emerino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:46 PM   #39
jmoon
Registered Users
seller
seller

It is hot here, so we wear tank tops about all the time I don't mind skinny straps either, but a couple of dd's are a little bit big, and hang kinda low, so I make her change if we are going anywhere. Most of her skirts have shorts underneath, and her dresses are long, so they don't come up. I don't worry too much about the length. None of her shorts hit her knees, but they def aren't booty shorts, so I think they are fine. I buy her two peice swim suits because she has a long torso, and one pieces do not work! They are either giving her a wedgie, or showing her chest! But both of her tankinis are long enough to cover her stomache. My son has been an issue lately, oddly enough! As he has gotten older, potty trained, and slimmed down, he has lost his butt! Lol, no joke, there is NOTHING to hold his pants up! I swear I see crack a million times a day! I am constantly telling him, pulling his pants up, tightening them, and nothing works! It drives me nutso! I don't like clothes with words on them, but they have some that were gifts, and they are nothing too annoying, and not offensive, so I do not worry about it. I would love to dress my kids in nicer, more put together outfits, but I am tired, broke, and pregnant (nauseas) So I am just glad when they get clothes on that are even slightly ok! Sometimes we clash terribly! At least we don't get out much!
Old 06-30-2012, 08:54 PM   #40
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoon View Post
It is hot here, so we wear tank tops about all the time I don't mind skinny straps either, but a couple of dd's are a little bit big, and hang kinda low, so I make her change if we are going anywhere. Most of her skirts have shorts underneath, and her dresses are long, so they don't come up. I don't worry too much about the length. None of her shorts hit her knees, but they def aren't booty shorts, so I think they are fine. I buy her two peice swim suits because she has a long torso, and one pieces do not work! They are either giving her a wedgie, or showing her chest! But both of her tankinis are long enough to cover her stomache. My son has been an issue lately, oddly enough! As he has gotten older, potty trained, and slimmed down, he has lost his butt! Lol, no joke, there is NOTHING to hold his pants up! I swear I see crack a million times a day! I am constantly telling him, pulling his pants up, tightening them, and nothing works! It drives me nutso! I don't like clothes with words on them, but they have some that were gifts, and they are nothing too annoying, and not offensive, so I do not worry about it. I would love to dress my kids in nicer, more put together outfits, but I am tired, broke, and pregnant (nauseas) So I am just glad when they get clothes on that are even slightly ok! Sometimes we clash terribly! At least we don't get out much!
To the bolded... We had the same problem with our son. He is so slender, even if you get the "slim" pants/jeans he cannot hold them up. He was too small for the smallest belts we could find. So this is going to sound wierd...but we finally got a leather dog collar. If you cut off the little metal ring where the leash is supposed to hook, it looks just like a little boys belt, and it works perfectly. No more plumber's crack!
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote