Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-30-2012, 12:25 PM   #1
solarbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: ja***nes
seller

My Mood:
help me get brave to do cloth at night

If size matters:::

DD is 2yo, 20lbs and 32 inches tall
DS is 5mth old, 13.5 lbs and 24 inches tall.

I have never tried cloth at night but have used cloth on both since they were born

DS is starting to have rash issues....DD has always had rash issues. I want to try cloth at night with wool or fleece so their bums have some air time.

So I need suggestions for good overnight fitteds. DD can pee through a BGE in a 2 hr nap....but a BGE will last ds overnight I would bet (to give an idea of the absorbency I need)

I want:
no velcro
not CRAZY expensive (I have about $40 in my pp right now I would put toward this)
One size or sized...I would like sized so I can use the same diapers for either. But sized is fine too.
Not so bulky that it seems uncomfortable to sleep in, yet absorbent enough to not have to be changing sheets every morning.

If you have wool suggestions that would be great too! Something bullet proof please!

So, any ideas? And if I am using wool/fitted then what jammies do they wear? I have fears of the diaper getting so wet that it wets through there jammies and then they are cold because they are wet.

They both STTN....about 10-12 hrs.

Advertisement

Old 06-30-2012, 12:36 PM   #2
Monkeys
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: help me get brave to do cloth at night

Kawaii goodnight heavy wetters work for us. It's a OS, and only cost about $10.
Monkeys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:38 PM   #3
tiredwalker
Registered Users

We just use a Flip with two medium prefolds trifolded. It's bulky, but dd has never complained about it and she doesn't wake up with wet cloths. The diapers are wet, but her clothes are dry (she takes a full sippy to bed with her too). I'm betting you could use that or one prefold with an insert. Dd sleeps 11-13 hours.
tiredwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:46 PM   #4
solarbabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm really wanting to do fitteds and wool or fleece....so that they get the air. I am thinking that may help them more than pul.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:56 PM   #5
mel281
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't really do fitteds (the few that I have I made, or else I do a snappied prefold), but wanted to weigh in on the jammies part. When you do wool, I would recommend not putting on any PJ bottoms. You can get wool shorties and they should be plenty warm in those. The problem with wearing PJ bottoms is that they are usually cotton, and as the pee evaporates, or just as the wool starts to take on some of the moisture, the cotton will absorb it and wick to everything else. Better just to leave off the bottoms altogether. If you must do bottoms, I would suggest size up about 2 sizes to accommodate the wool, and try to get something polyester (like fleece). If you must do cotton bottoms, really make sure your fitted is adequate so that wool isn't taking on any moisture.
We've only just started doing cloth at night a couple of months ago, and DS almost 5, DD is 2 1/2. Been doing daytime cloth for 3 years now, so you are not alone!
mel281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:58 PM   #6
juliasmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How about ME Sandys. A small wouls fit both your kids. You can add as many or as few doublers as each needs...maybe a small hemp a ME staydry for Dd and just the staydry doubler for ds. As for wool, your budget is pretty limited...how about recycled soakers, can you sew?
Old 06-30-2012, 12:59 PM   #7
Maddalena
Registered Users
seller

Fuzzibunz work for us but at night I just stuff it with a super do insert by knickernappies...my son is 21 months 23 lbs 31 inches long...NEVER woke up wet yet!
Maddalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:01 PM   #8
greencrunchymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

I was going to recommend ME Sandy's too. It's what we use!
Old 06-30-2012, 01:10 PM   #9
solarbabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

well I do have sandys. I don't find them abosrbent enough during the day, so i figured no way at night!

I can try though....what should I put in them? I have xs, small, and large sandys. I have preemie prefolds, orange and yellow edge gmd prefolds, And I have some HUGE toddler prefolds (like way too big for dd) I also have microfiber inserts and flats (ikea and LL)

I can sew....at least enough lol. I have some wool sweaters I bought from thrift stores and then felted...but they got so scratchy that I don't think they would be comfy. I can sew fleece no problem though. So could I sew some fleece soakers for them that would work? How many layers should I do in the wet zone for night? What combo out of what I have should I try? Or I could make some soaker pads for stuffing...I have cotton and birdseye.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:23 PM   #10
juliasmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarbabies
well I do have sandys. I don't find them abosrbent enough during the day, so i figured no way at night!

I can try though....what should I put in them? I have xs, small, and large sandys. I have preemie prefolds, orange and yellow edge gmd prefolds, And I have some HUGE toddler prefolds (like way too big for dd) I also have microfiber inserts and flats (ikea and LL)

I can sew....at least enough lol. I have some wool sweaters I bought from thrift stores and then felted...but they got so scratchy that I don't think they would be comfy. I can sew fleece no problem though. So could I sew some fleece soakers for them that would work? How many layers should I do in the wet zone for night? What combo out of what I have should I try? Or I could make some soaker pads for stuffing...I have cotton and birdseye.
Great! Sandys are good night diapers because they can hold as many doublers as you need...I agree the actual fitted isnt very absorbant and quite puffy. I like hemp doublers because they are more trim for the absorbancy.

I have an inexpensive L WCW soaker on FSOT that would probably work for your DD.