Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-01-2012, 08:35 AM   #1
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Just little vent

Gotta do it here, because I don't want to hurt a friends feelings. I was on Facebook and there is a pic of my friends 6 month old butter ball eating something- looked chocolate to me. Had it all over his face. I didn't ask, but someone else did- oreo cookies. 6 months and he is eating oreo cookies. My friend is sweet heart, but at 23 she is obese- possibly even morbidly obese. Her boyfriend and most of her family are also obese and have blood pressure issues. It just makes me sad. She is educated, I am pretty sure she knows what obesity means to her health. So I won't say anything, its just makes me sad.

I am not perfect and I am not crazy about no sweets or no junk. but neither of my kids had any sweets (other then fruit) before their 1st b-day cakes. We have occasional cookies but we don't keep them in the house. We don't forbid sweets. It just really bothers me with her family history that she is giving her 6 month old oreo cookies.

Advertisement

Old 07-01-2012, 08:38 AM   #2
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Just little vent

I see things like that all the time (along with kool-aid in a 5 month old's bottle, because "he was thirsty" ). It's so frustrating, and it's hard not to let things like that bother you.

But at the end of the day, I have to tell myself that those kids are loved, they have a warm (or cool, in the weather!) home, clothes to wear, food to eat (even if it's not something I would give my kids)... that's what counts the most, IMO.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:40 AM   #3
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
It is sad as that is REALLY young but keep in mind it may have been a treat. I have a pic of DD somewhere around 10 months old gumming on an Oreo. I am also obese. But at that age I was super strict about DDs diet and I actually felt bad afterwards. Im also obsessed with my DDs weight because I don't want her to be overweight like I was. Anyway, I guess I'm just saying don't jump to conclusions when you don't know the whole story.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:02 AM   #4
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkinBoutMyGirl View Post
It is sad as that is REALLY young but keep in mind it may have been a treat. I have a pic of DD somewhere around 10 months old gumming on an Oreo. I am also obese. But at that age I was super strict about DDs diet and I actually felt bad afterwards. Im also obsessed with my DDs weight because I don't want her to be overweight like I was. Anyway, I guess I'm just saying don't jump to conclusions when you don't know the whole story.
I am not jumping to conclusions. It very well could have been a treat- the title of the post was "6 months old today". I love her to death, she is a great person and I'm sure a great mother, but she has a problem with food (and she knows it). It still bothers me. 6 months is too young for that kind of treat especially with family history that bothers HER as well. I don't know why she did it and its none of my business- which is why I am not saying anything to her. Just makes me sad to see it.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:15 AM   #5
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, I would have never given my 6mo an Oreo, but that's because I love Oreos so much that it would have meant that I would have to share and that there is potential for it to be :gasp: dropped on the floor or fed to the dog, both unacceptable fates for something as delicious as Oreos.

All joking aside, it's hard to see people making choices you don't agree with or that are potentially harmful and not be able to say anything. But at the end of the day, it's her kid and her choice and we have to respect that she is parenting how she sees best and move on.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:33 AM   #6
Mac & Cheeses mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Is it possible someone gave it to the baby?

I have a pic on my fb of my DD2 at about that age with a white face from the powdered doughnut her grammie gave her. As I was strict with her diet, sometimes as a mom you have to let Grammies do things you may not wholly agree with as long as it doesn't endanger the baby Kwim?

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 07-01-2012, 11:59 AM   #7
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
I have a friend like that *sigh* And with each kid the crap starts earlier and earlier. Im hoping! she'll wait until at least 6mos before she offers her usual fair of cakes, cookies, ice cream, french fries, coffee to her 3month old And this coming from the woman I have literally watched my entire life struggle with weight and eating disorders.

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:04 PM   #8
cacasey1981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Right there with you - yesterday at the store we saw a 4m/o with a huge bottle of juice. Big brother was huge as was G-ma and mom.

Gma was kind enough to let us know that LO was 4months and that Mom was already 2 months preggo.
Wife to Brandon - my high school sweetheart (Oct 00), delaying vaccs as best we can and WOH parents to Trent (Nov 08) our intact, formerly ERF, slightly son and Lilly (May 12) our , maybe one day , and (for now) daughter (my hypnobaby).
cacasey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:33 PM   #9
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

My kids not fat but little bit but not that early. My youngest besides my tummy grower just started having half a icee/freeze ice. Its cool & not all the time. Its cool while teething & its hot right now but eats fruits & good stuff a lot too. My mom was candy/ sweets control patrol & a 24 pack of soda would last what seemed like a yr.
abunchoflemons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:37 PM   #10
jessnic
Registered Users
seller
seller

I feed my 11 month old healthy food 99% of the time, but if I am having a treat I share. At 6 months no oreos, but at 9 months I did share thin mint cookies lol. I hope it was just a treat, and that she is feeding herself and her baby healthy food the rest of the time.

On my smart phone which is clearly not as smart as it seems to believe