Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-30-2012, 11:16 PM   #11
jamie714
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by megenic
I seem to produce wacky babies who don't need sleep, but both mine stopped napping around 18 months. I had the same problem - if they napped they were up late. It took about a week to adjust so they weren't melting down at supper time then they were fine. I think I did make their bedtime earlier while they were adjusting. Some kids have much lower sleep needs. I remember being so upset with DD1 when she dropped to one map at 8 months...I thought she HAD to have 2 because the books all said babies that age needed two. LOL. I say drop the nap for a week and if it's miserable,, implement it again but maybe shorten it.
This is my babies to a t. I enforce a quiet time every day but they don't sleep. They get to have a movie on for quiet time and it is over when the movie is over. It makes it easy for them to judge the time and not keep calling for me to ask if they can be done. I try to pick long, boring movies.

Advertisement

jamie714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:36 PM   #12
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Naps for 2 y/os..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightowl Jan View Post
I have read in so many places that kids needs a daily nap until kindergarten. So I personally am going to try to institute a better routine.
DD didn't nap after age 2. I make her lay in her bed for an hour every afternoon, but she never sleeps. However, it keeps her quiet so the other two can go to sleep. After an hour, she gets up and we do school or play games.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:24 AM   #13
rosenfried2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We still have daily naps. Ds just turned 2 but he's always loved his sleep so not much fighting it. I just have to play more actively in the morning to get a longer nap.

Follow me at my blog:Rosenfried's Ramblings
rosenfried2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:19 AM   #14
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My kids are the same. Once my ODD hit 4 she finally stopped with the bad behaviour when she didn't nap, she truly does not need a nap these days but does need a quiet time for 20 minutes or so, just lying down. After that she can get up and read or play quietly but is not to disturb anybody. My 2yo is also just hitting the stage of not always napping and being cranky, or being hard to get down at night if she naps. It's a tricky stage for sure. I am finding it easier if I try to get her to nap a little earlier. I don't let her nap go past 3pm. And if it does then I expect her to stay up late. I think this is very normal for their age. My 4yo stopped napping gradually over a 1.5 year period, from 2.5-4 she just needed it less and less until eventually not at all. And some days she still naps if she is really really tired. We just go with the flow mostly. If they haven't napped I make sure they bath etc early, and then they eat dinner and pretty much go straight to bed around 7pm. The 4yo gets to stay up a little bit but if she starts being a brat she goes to bed.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:58 AM   #15
kelpie169
Registered Users
seller

With my 3 year old, when it's time for his brother ( 1 yer old) to nap, I put him in his room and tell him he can either nap or play quietly. Usually he naps. Sometimes he doesn't. But he's gotten really good at letting us know when he's tired, despite the fact that he has communication issues. He didn't nap once this past week and asked to I to bed about an hour and a half early. Usually he rests or naps at school too so that helps. It helps that both our boys are impervious to most noises when they sleep. So even if his brothers still awake and playin, he'll just sleep away.
kelpie169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:25 PM   #16
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Yes, nap. All of mine have napped until almost 5. DS will be 3 in July and he still naps everyday, no question.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:56 PM   #17
jamie714
Registered Users
seller

I really do believe some don't need as much sleep. Not only have mine all stopped naps at a young age they have done so without melt downs in the evening.
jamie714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:17 PM   #18
Erinne
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolenutt View Post
I could have posted this mama. Dd will also be 3 in oct and has recently ditched her nap. We've been battling over it for a couple of months now, and I've recently given up. If I finally got her down (after an hour of struggling) she would be up until 10 or 11pm; no thanks lol. Everyday around meltdown time I try and switch up the activity we're doing. By 6:30 we have our bath and start our wind down. By 7-7:30 she's snoring. It makes for earlier mornings, but the couple of hours of quiet at night is totally worth it.
That was us exactly. My dd will be 3 in a few weeks and hasn't napped for about 3 months. After the first month or so, she must have gotten more used to it or was getting more rest at night or something, because the cranky evening time got a lot better.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:09 PM   #19
megenic
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightowl Jan View Post
I have read in so many places that kids needs a daily nap until kindergarten. So I personally am going to try to institute a better routine.
I have never heard this. I don't know how there could be a one-size fits all sleep requirement for kids. I simply cannot imagine my 4 year old taking a nap, ever. Even on 6 hour car rides neither of mine (4 and 2) take a nap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie714 View Post
I really do believe some don't need as much sleep. Not only have mine all stopped naps at a young age they have done so without melt downs in the evening.
I think this is the key when deciding about naps. If the child is not melting down, not showing indications of tiredness, and is sleeping well at night (say a good 10 to 12 hours), waking up rested, then I wouldn't try to impose a nap. If the child is melting down, is obviously tired and doesn't sleep well and wakes up cranky, then a nap is in order. I don't think it has anything to do with age, but rather the child's general temperament.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:44 PM   #20
Connor
Registered Users
seller

My DS 2.5 actually does better without a nap. If he does fall asleep, like in the car, about 15 minutes is the max. If he sleeps longer than that it can take him 1-1 1/2 hours to go to sleep at night. It goes much better if he doesn't have a nap, then at 9pm he's sound asleep in 5 min.