Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-01-2012, 05:17 PM   #1
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Cotton PUL for diapers?

My friend gave me some PUL fabric she bought online to make her some diapers. I think it is cotton PUL, I have never used PUL like this before. It is laminated on the back, and the front it feels like a woven fabric. I have bought print PUL before but it is not like this at all. Have you used PUL like this and will it work? What do you think?

UPDATE: Well I just wanted to let everybody know DO NOT USE THIS FOR DIAPERS!! I made one up for her, and she has washed it a few times and it already completely delaminated and leaks. I am a bit peeved as she has asked me to just replace it after I have given her a very large discount and am not really making any money out of this deal (they take a fair amount of time, effort and snaps to assemble), but oh well. I really wish she would not buy her own fabrics, and just pick from what I already have!

It looked really cute though (it's the paisley one).

Advertisement

Last edited by jeebee; 07-20-2012 at 08:10 PM.
jeebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:18 PM   #2
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Cotton PUL for diapers?

Oh and does it need prewashing??
Old 07-01-2012, 08:52 PM   #3
B's Mommy
Registered Users
Formerly: All Fleeced Out
seller
seller

My Mood:

Is it like non-stretchy quilt fabric? I've had some like that, but sold it right away because I didn't like it at all...I just didn't like how it sewed up into a diaper. I'd pre-wash though if you are going to use it.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:16 AM   #4
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm not familiar with the fabric, but if one side is cotton then I would prewash it and I would back the PUL side with a poly fleece or microfleece to help minimize possible wicking onto the cotton side.

boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:53 AM   #5
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by B's Mommy View Post
Is it like non-stretchy quilt fabric? I've had some like that, but sold it right away because I didn't like it at all...I just didn't like how it sewed up into a diaper. I'd pre-wash though if you are going to use it.
Yep, it's basically like a woven cotton with laminate on the back. It is nice but I think it would work better for a change pad or something? I haven't washed it yet but i am pretty sure I want to do that before I use it...
Old 07-02-2012, 12:55 AM   #6
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boysniris View Post
I'm not familiar with the fabric, but if one side is cotton then I would prewash it and I would back the PUL side with a poly fleece or microfleece to help minimize possible wicking onto the cotton side.
Yeah the inner will be microfleece. I am hoping it is ok. I had some diapers that were a cotton layer over the top of the PUL, and they wicked around the legs. For some reason they are a very popular brand, probably because of the cute prints but they really did not work well for me.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:08 PM   #7
mommylifew3
Registered Users
seller
seller

ours always wicked. Maybe a cover with foe but a changing pad is a great idea!

Join Eco-Wrapz on Facebook to see my Latest Work
mommylifew3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:13 PM   #8
bluesaddle
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I bought some like that and made it into aprons for my girls to wear. The leftovers are going to be placemats for them. I'm not sure about using it for diapers though. I'm sure a diaper maker can chime in here.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:13 AM   #9
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ick. I already don't like it. I washed it on warm and when i took it out i could see a few spots where the laminate was already bubbling a little. I am going to make her ONE diaper with this and let her tell me how it is working before I do any more. She is trying to be really helpful and buy her own fabrics etc, but she doesn't really know what she is doing, LOL. I would really prefer she just chooses from the things i select because at least i know where i get my stock and that it is good, she just bought it randomly off ebay and i don't even think it was listed specifically as cotton PUL. I really hate making things that I feel are substandard! Oh well that's the problem I always have, I am very very much a perfectionist!
Old 07-20-2012, 08:09 PM   #10
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Updated