Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 07-01-2012, 05:44 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Sign Language for Babies

I just wanted to share... DD will be a year old on the 11th and has been doing a few signs. I'm super excited!

She has started to sign "milk" and "more" and "eat". We watch the Baby Einstein videos on youtube. (It's a called Learning English but it is sign language.) Dh, ds, and I also will use sign language on occasion for the few words we know. We haven't been taking it very seriously but were told to do this by Early Intervention, (She has seizures and was delayed. She hears just fine. She has almost caught up to what is "normal" for her age) I've heard about sign language for babies but have never seen a baby do this in real life! I'm just amazed at watching her finish a cracker and then do the "more" sign! Or say "Ma ma" and do the milk sign when she wants to BF.

Is anyone else having sign language success?

Sahm married to a wonderful man who does the dishes with DS 11/18/02 and DD 7/11/11

My Come Swag with me!
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:55 PM   #2
No Longer Here
My Mood:
Yup. We taught our daughter with signing time. She was delayed as well (she has autism) Before she could speak she knew 250 signs! (18 months old) Now she speaks well but knows all her signs still. It even taught her to read. She is 2.5 and can read sight words and spell short words with sign and language.

Signing has been amazing for us and we will be teaching our 7 month old as well. The other kids picked up a bunch as well.

Yay for signing!

Last edited by ktmelody; 07-01-2012 at 11:11 PM.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:26 PM   #3
mel j
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Sign Language for Babies

Awesome! Yes my 9 month old and 2.5 year old love signing and I am trying to do more with them!
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:58 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:
Both girls learned help, eat, more, milk, and all done at 8-9mos. They know and want to communicate so much sooner then they are able to speak. It made life so much easier for me and I will teach this baby those signs when the time comes.
House Goddess & mama to 8 yr old princess L , 6 yr old mama magnet J and 9mos old love bug C

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:44 PM   #5
Registered Users
My Mood:
We use sign, less now since he is starting to talk more. I didn't get too into it, just taught him some basics. The first one he used was "more", then "all done", He now signs "Please" and "more, please". And he used to sign "eat", but never really picked it up. He also does signs, that I never taught him, like the sign for "hat"- but he also says "hat" And that is really it.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Samantha, SAHM to Caden (12-24-10), Wife to DH, and blogger at Stir the Wonder
SamanthaSews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:20 PM   #6
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Sign Language for Babies

Eat, done, milk(anything to drink), poop(anytime potty).
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote