Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-02-2012, 09:05 AM   #1
joeslittlewoman
Registered Users
seller

Could my kid be allergic to our dog?

We've had our puppy for 6 or 7 months. A week or so ago my 22mo got a rash that looks like lots of tiny bites on his thigh. It quickly spread to a patch on his tummy, and now it is everywhere except his diaper area, face, and palms. And the initial rashy areas are much worse (more bumps and look irritated). He hasn't had a fever, and they don't seem to bother him. No other symptoms. I haven't changed detergents or cleaners (and his cloth dipes are what cover one of the only unaffected areas, so I really don't think it is laundry related). Is it possible he developed an allergy to our puppy? I can't think of anything else. His seasonal allergies aren't even flared up right now.

**going to the doc in a couple hours, but curious if anyone else has seen this**

Advertisement

Old 07-02-2012, 09:09 AM   #2
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
I hope you get some answers

**I do know how to spell...my iPod on the other hand does not**
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:09 AM   #3
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
I would think a dog allergy would pop up sooner then 6/7months. Does puppy have new shampoo/flea collar/ect? Poor little guy

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:27 AM   #4
joeslittlewoman
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sweets
I would think a dog allergy would pop up sooner then 6/7months. Does puppy have new shampoo/flea collar/ect? Poor little guy
No new shampoo for the dog. The kids have had a bubble bath with different soap than usual, but I would think that would affect the diaper area as well.

They are eating more fruit lately, but I would think a food allergy would make him break out around his mouth or bottom.

I'm stumped.

Luckily it doesn't seem to bother him even though it looks uncomfortable.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:03 AM   #5
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Could my kid be allergic to our dog?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeslittlewoman View Post
No new shampoo for the dog. The kids have had a bubble bath with different soap than usual, but I would think that would affect the diaper area as well.

They are eating more fruit lately, but I would think a food allergy would make him break out around his mouth or bottom.

I'm stumped.

Food allergy can break out anywhere. It could always be a reaction to the dogs, but doesn't really sound like it to me. Since it started on his thighs and I doubt he's rubbing dog hair on his thighs. Now of it started on his forearms where he might contact dog hair or saliva on a regular basis then i would think the rash might be from the dog. otherwise I would expect seasonal allergy type symptoms- nose, eyes, throat. I am allergic to dogs and so is dd. The only time either one of us has gotten a rash from them is when we were already sick with something else (so weakend immune system). I will get a few little bumps and dd gets a few hives.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:07 AM   #6
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeslittlewoman View Post

I'm stumped.

Food allergy can be anywhere. When I eat certain types of cheese I get a rash on my chest and inner thighs that spreads to extremeties if it's a bad one.
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:12 AM   #7
doulamomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

could the dog have fleas? they could bite your little one

Sent from my droid using DS Forum
Old 07-02-2012, 11:30 AM   #8
joeslittlewoman
Registered Users
seller

He rolls around with the dog and is almost always in just a diaper, which is why I thought maybe contact with the dog. The dog takes a flea preventative every month and I've never seen fleas. Plus there are thousands of bumps now. The doctor said it was a non-contagious viral rash and said it takes 2-4weeks to clear up. He didn't think it was allergies since it isn't very itchy. Guess we will give it 4 weeks.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:01 PM   #9
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah i was thinking it sounded like a viral rash. Glad he is not itchy.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:09 PM   #10
doodah
Registered Users
seller

its hard to say without seeing the rash....another thing to consider is heat rash, now that the summer months are in full swing. One of my daycare girls has a the strangest looking rash and they were told it was heat rash, made worse by lotion or sunscreen getting in her skin and clogging the ducts. It has popped up on numerous places on her body.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote