Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-02-2012, 10:27 AM   #11
JadeScarlet
Registered Users

Re: home births in apartments? Tell me your story!

I had a homebirth in an apartment, but I don't live in the US so I can't really answer your questions.

Some things to consider though: Do you have a bathtub? Is there space to set up a pool if you want one. Could be an insurance issue if the pool breaks and leaks water into the lower units I suppose. I think water beds aren't allowed in apartments because of that.

We don't have a bath tub, but our shower is enclosed and does hold water. Our bathroom was large enough to contain the pool (which the midwife brought). However, by the time she arrived, I was too far along and there wasn't enough time to fill the pool. I really wanted a water birth so DH filled up the shower, but by the time that was ready and I got in, I couldn't get comfortable so I got back out and gave birth in bed.

Midwife cleaned everything up, so you'd never know, unless we show you the pictures.

Advertisement

Old 07-02-2012, 10:30 AM   #12
Macyllehub
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I do not think you need to disclose it in any way.

We don't live in apartments but do rent and I'd flat out refuse to disclose something as private and personal as birth with my management company.

That being said, I have professionally attended apartment home birthing and no one ever disclosed it, no one cared during labor and no neighbors came by
Expecting someone small Sept 2014
Macyllehub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:39 AM   #13
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

I just had a home birth in my apartment. At 4am! No one said a word. I was pretty quiet tho. Only screamed twice and they were more like a grunt. The apartment manager even lives below me.

As far as cost its going to depend on insurance and midwife. My midwife charges $3500 for all care, not including blood work, US, ect...my insurance would only pay for prenatal/post partum care but not for the actual birth. So I paid $2500 oop for the birth plus supplies($30) and the pool ($75).
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:50 AM   #14
L J
Gazelle Intense
seller
seller

Homebirths are not illegal in any state. Midwives assisting homebirths are.

I have had two unassisted homebirths in apartments.

The first was in an old house that had been converted into 8 apartments. The walls and ceilings were paper thin. When I went into labor, I put up a sign on the door that said "Homebirth in progress. Do not disturb."

It was in the downtown of a city and the culture there was loud music and bongs. I really wasn't worried about anyone calling the cops. Two neighbors came by late the evening he was born to congratulate us. They had heard everything, but thought it was great.

Catherine was born in an apartment a few months ago. I did mention to the apartment manager that I was thinking of having her at home, but only because we were friendly. She thought that was great, and mentioned the large whirlpool tubs coming in handy for that.

This was a brand new, "luxury" apartment complex, with thick, sound proof walls, so I didn't bother with a note.

My first was born in the fishy pool, and I took the risk with that because we lived on the first floor and didn't have any carpeting. I chose to just birth in the large bath tub with dd because we had wall to wall carpet that I didn't want to deal with shop vac-ing after.
L J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:59 AM   #15
Vespertina
Registered Users

My Mood:

I paid OOP for both (prenatal care with ds1 as I ended up being induced at the hospital). My youngest was born in an apartment.

Vespertina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:12 AM   #16
Gabriel's Mommy
Registered Users
seller

It is not illegal. We are friendly with both of the landlords daughters so I'm pretty sure he would know. But I found out that his daughter-in-law does home births so maybe that's an advantage. The birth pool could be an issue. We could easily make the space work but we are on the 3rd floor so that could be an issue. We have 2 bath tubs but they are pretty small. I'm a pretty small person and had a hard time being comfortable in a tub with DS1 so I can't imagine trying to give birth in one. There is nothing in our lease about water beds or aquariums either so we may end up being able to slide by with it.
Gabriel's Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:14 AM   #17
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I have absolutely no advice, but I just wanted to say good luck! I wish home birth had been an option for me. It sounds like a fantastic way to labor.

Typos courtesy of my "smart" phone.
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:54 PM   #18
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't tell your landlord.

If you are on the second floor, I wouldn't use a pool though. The weight might damage things. We did the math, and our 150 gallon aquarium setup can't go upstairs in our home (we were the original owners so we knew the spacing and my bro is an engineer), and a birthing pool has way more than 150 gallons in it.

ETA: The birth pools I saw online were 118 gallons. That is 985 pounds of water, plus your weight and the weight of your midwife, which is a lot of weight in a small space.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 07-02-2012 at 01:06 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:57 PM   #19
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel's Mommy
It is not illegal. We are friendly with both of the landlords daughters so I'm pretty sure he would know. But I found out that his daughter-in-law does home births so maybe that's an advantage. The birth pool could be an issue. We could easily make the space work but we are on the 3rd floor so that could be an issue. We have 2 bath tubs but they are pretty small. I'm a pretty small person and had a hard time being comfortable in a tub with DS1 so I can't imagine trying to give birth in one. There is nothing in our lease about water beds or aquariums either so we may end up being able to slide by with it.
I set up my birth pool on the second floor. It's only 106 gallons. We filled it only about 60% up then once I got in it was at the max line. So it was maybe 70ish gallons. We only had to use one hot water tank of water.
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:59 PM   #20
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yes, that is what I meant... Homebirths are not illegal, but it would be illegal activity to have a midwife or whomever attending. And illegal activity in the rental unit is usually grounds for eviction.

Personally, I wouldnt bring it up to the landlord.