Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-03-2012, 11:43 AM   #1
aumismommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Doesnt say "f" "l" "s"

My 2yo Ds cannot say f l s sounds. I've called early intervention but they said its fine and they won't even come out for an eval. Anybody have experience with this? Is this normal?

Advertisement

ISO: Ring Sling WC, Soft Star Shoes (brand) shoes size 8/9 (toddler) or infant
aumismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:45 AM   #2
HisFadedStar
Registered Users
seller
seller

It's normal, my son is 7 and is in speech therapy and they said that the L sound can develop as late as 6 and still be normal. I know F develops later too.
HisFadedStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Doesnt say "f" "l" "s"

it's totally normal...they aren't expected to say l til around 5 (my 4.5 yo is just starting to do it) and th not til like 8.
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:47 AM   #4
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Those sounds come later than a lot of the others. I don't know what state you're in, but here you have to qualify for a 50% delay. Like, if your son is two (24 months), he would have to test at the 12 mo old level to qualify for EI. It sounds like developmentally he's on track (if that's all your concerned with, anyway), especially when you factor in that there is a wide range of normal, and that he's still really young. I wouldn't expect them to come do an eval.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:48 AM   #5
MyPerfectLife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Many children don't develop articular sounds like those until 5,6,7 or even 8. No worries mama...love that baby talk while you can!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DS Forum
Abby, SAHM mom to Maddy (10), Benny (7), Annie (3.5),and Joshy (1). Wife to my traveling hub for 11 years! Almost FT student (2nd time around). My life is not perfect, but I keep telling myself if I say it enough I will believe it!
MyPerfectLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:50 AM   #6
MyPerfectLife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten
Those sounds come later than a lot of the others. I don't know what state you're in, but here you have to qualify for a 50% delay. Like, if your son is two (24 months), he would have to test at the 12 mo old level to qualify for EI. It sounds like developmentally he's on track (if that's all your concerned with, anyway), especially when you factor in that there is a wide range of normal, and that he's still really young. I wouldn't expect them to come do an eval.
Here they have to be in the bottom 7% to qualify for services...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DS Forum
Abby, SAHM mom to Maddy (10), Benny (7), Annie (3.5),and Joshy (1). Wife to my traveling hub for 11 years! Almost FT student (2nd time around). My life is not perfect, but I keep telling myself if I say it enough I will believe it!
MyPerfectLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:51 AM   #7
aumismommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thank you for responding so quickly ladies! This has been worrying me. My sisters kids spoke early and very well so my family keeps telling me something is wrong. EI said he had to test at 50% which over the phone she could tell he wouldn't. So she said to give it more time but that's all she said.

Thank you thank you. He has been saying so much more in the last six months I feel like he is doing great and I'm a worrier. Darn families!

Old 07-03-2012, 11:54 AM   #8
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Very normal, some sounds are harder to pronounce than others. You should model proper pronunciation for him but don't harp on it. He will get it in time. Tharen didn't manage to get his "th" blend until just recently. I did have to work with him on it because he was having problems with reading and spelling caused by the confusion in pronunciation, but he was 6 at the time.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:55 AM   #9
aumismommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
One of my nephews has aspergers (spelling?) and also has a very nasally speech (he did A LOT of speech therapy) so I think that's why they are concerned. But my son is fine, no issues, very bright. He signs a lot and likes to tell us stuff using his hands even if we don't know the sign so when he started talking a lot about 6 months ago I just stopped even worrying about his speech.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:56 AM   #10
808mamaof3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Heres an articulation development milestone chart from the American Speech Language Hearing Association (ASHA). Remember the ages list are when sounds are typically MASTERED

http://www.talkingchild.com/speechchart.html