Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2012, 04:02 PM   #21
mibarra
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by H's mom
Although I believe that physical abuse is completely wrong, I also think people are always looking for excuses for why people turn out they way they are. If spanking isn't found to cause some mental disorders than as sure as the day is long something else will. Our current society doesn't accept things for being just because.
But in the search for those 'excuses' ( I prefer 'explanations'), some important things have been discovered. Its human nature to explore the causes and effects of things. Accepting things as 'just because' leads to stagnation. When we understand things more fully, we can change them, sometimes for the better. If someone hadn't been willing to explore the causes and effects of a variety of different occurrences and how they could be used, we all wouldn't be sitting here arguing with strangers over the internet on a computer.

Advertisement

mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:13 PM   #22
JennTheMomma's Avatar
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 7,820
My Mood:
Re: Can spanking cause mental illness

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylabelle05 View Post
As someone who was spanked by both parents (it was abuse), I FULLY believe that spanking cause mental issues. I have anxiety, panic attacks when seeing my dad (he spanked so hard, we peed our pants), cannot confront anyone, have severe phobias about talking bad things with someone and more that I cannot think of right now.

My parents took physical discipline to a whole new level. Using wooden spoons, ping pong paddles, belts, anything they could get their hands on. And it was for the smallest infractions too. What is sad is they said that we got it less than they did as kids. And I decided that I would NEVER beat my kids. I broke the cycle and I am so proud. My kids actually like me and don't fear me. I must say that it is nice to know that my kids don't scatter in fear that I am going to beat them.
That's horrible
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:13 PM   #23
H's mom
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 275
Re: Can spanking cause mental illness

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
But in the search for those 'excuses' ( I prefer 'explanations'), some important things have been discovered. Its human nature to explore the causes and effects of things. Accepting things as 'just because' leads to stagnation. When we understand things more fully, we can change them, sometimes for the better. If someone hadn't been willing to explore the causes and effects of a variety of different occurrences and how they could be used, we all wouldn't be sitting here arguing with strangers over the internet on a computer.
This is a very broad statement and I agree with it in some circumstances; I see how this can easily lead into a debate of how we'd all still think the world is flat if it wasn't for our inquisitive nature.

My point was that we need to be careful of placing blame on another person for every bad thing that happens to us. It can lead to avoidance of responsibility and a focus on the negative aspects of life rather than the positive.
H's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:32 PM   #24
mibarra
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by H's mom

This is a very broad statement and I agree with it in some circumstances; I see how this can easily lead into a debate of how we'd all still think the world is flat if it wasn't for our inquisitive nature.

My point was that we need to be careful of placing blame on another person for every bad thing that happens to us. It can lead to avoidance of responsibility and a focus on the negative aspects of life rather than the positive.
Fair enough. That's why I prefer 'explanation'. Knowing why something is the way it is isn't the same as excusing it or the results of it and removing blame from someone. But it can help us understand how to prevent or change things for the better.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:38 PM   #25
Almacham
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Slytherin House
Posts: 15,946
My Mood:
Re: Can spanking cause mental illness

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylabelle05 View Post
As someone who was spanked by both parents (it was abuse), I FULLY believe that spanking cause mental issues. I have anxiety, panic attacks when seeing my dad (he spanked so hard, we peed our pants), cannot confront anyone, have severe phobias about talking bad things with someone and more that I cannot think of right now.

My parents took physical discipline to a whole new level. Using wooden spoons, ping pong paddles, belts, anything they could get their hands on. And it was for the smallest infractions too. What is sad is they said that we got it less than they did as kids. And I decided that I would NEVER beat my kids. I broke the cycle and I am so proud. My kids actually like me and don't fear me. I must say that it is nice to know that my kids don't scatter in fear that I am going to beat them.
You sound a lot like me. I'm sorry that you suffered like that.

It's a wonderful thing when an abused person can break the cycle. That is definitely something to be proud of!
__________________
Sarah, mom of many
Almacham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:53 PM   #26
my2sweets's Avatar
my2sweets
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,910
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady

A sprinkle and a downpour are both water falling from the sky, but that doesn't make them the same. Swiss and cheddar are both forms of cheese, but that doesn't make them the same. A 4 door sedan and an 18 wheeler are both vehicles, but that doesn't make them the same. Anti-spankers can continue to cry out that "hitting" and "spanking" are exactly the same and that there's absolutely no difference what so ever...but that doesn't make it any more true than cloth diapers and sposie diapers being exactly the same.
Agree.
__________________
House Goddess & mama to 8 yr old princess L , 6 yr old mama magnet J and 9mos old love bug C

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:20 PM   #27
rumblepurr's Avatar
rumblepurr
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning!
Posts: 2,324
My Mood:
Re: Can spanking cause mental illness

http://www.inquisitr.com/267270/dont...oSt4PA4CJKG.01

Apparently its harsh spanking:

A recent study conducted by researchers at the Departments of Community Health Sciences, Psychiatry, Family Social Sciences, and Psychology at the University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada has concluded that harsh physical punishment in the absence of more severe child abuse is associated with an increased risk for mental disorders.

For the study, the researchers collected data from the National Epidemiologic Survey on Alcohol and Related Conditions between the years 2004 and 2005. The survey was conducted with a representative US adult population sample.

Harsh physical punishment included spanking as well acts of physical force beyond slapping. Physical punishment was distinguished from child maltreatment, which included severe physical abuse, sexual abuse, emotional abuse, physical neglect, emotional neglect, and exposure to intimate partner violence.

According to the study, harsh physical punishment during childhood was linked to an increased likelihood of most lifetime mental disorders including major depression, dysthymia, mania, any mood disorder, specific phobias, any anxiety disorder, and any alcohol and drug abuse or dependence during adulthood. In other words, children who are disciplined with physical punishment including spanking are more likely to suffer from mental disorders as adults.


Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/267270/dont...EY9XDprgKdH.99

I don't think they included a smack on the bottom as harsh, but I haven't read the real study yet.
__________________
Amber: Mama of 4 DS's; 10/2002 10/2005 8/2007 1/2010
and 1 DD 11/20/13 ************. Married to J .
Extra crunchy, night , book loving, sewing enthusiast.
rumblepurr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:05 PM   #28
luvthefluff
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: washington
Posts: 1,035
My Mood:
Re: Can spanking cause mental illness

I watched alot of abuse towards my older sister growing up...while i did not endure the abuse i grew up to have severe mental illnesses. including ptsd evolving around seeing the abuse. Obviously this type of physical hitting is a HUGE factor in some mental illnesses when abuse as a child played a role. However, i do not beleive that a swat on the behind is something that will effect a person their entire life. Im sure i got spanked a few times in my child hood but dont recall them so it must not have been too bad right? Spanking a child with a belt, spoon, object, or even your hand to the point it leaves marks or makes a child pee themselves is abuse. however when my child runs out into the street, scares me to death, and gets a swat on the butt i see it perfectly appropriate. parents who spank their children are obviously not going to think spanking leads to mental illness. to me it just depends on how the child was raised and how much spanking was going on. if it were the punishment for EVERYTHING i can see how this might have an effect on mental health. however if a spanking occurs once in a while for something IMO is appropriate i see no harm. again this is just my opinion and i did not read the article. hehe just going off of the previous posts
__________________
proud sahm to maddisyn 5yrs old Jonah 2yrs old
Lilly 8.17.2012
luvthefluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:32 PM   #29
kaylabelle05's Avatar
kaylabelle05
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Murrieta, CA
Posts: 1,896
My Mood:
Re: Can spanking cause mental illness

Think about it in terms of domestic abuse . A woman who is beaten regularly by her partner is going to have severe mental issues. And if she wasn't beaten herself, she more than likely watched her mother get it. Abuse begets abuse in the next generation unless the abused gets help. My siblings are just as bad off as I am in the mental illness dept. My older sister used to get woken up to get beaten. My older brother was beaten more severely than the girls by our mother. BUT we are upstanding members of society. My eldest sister did have an alcohol problem at 16 due to our parents and the older sister have food issues. But we all decided early on we would not allow the cycle to go one more generation. The 3 girls have kids while my brother does not. I think he is still scared of women because of our mother. I know that even after being away from her toxic-ness, she still has control over him. It is sad that him being 34 and she still controls him through the abuse he suffered.

I do believe if the spanking is with other abuse it will cause permanent damage. But if we are talking about a single swat on the butt with a talk , it might temp hurt but it won't cause damage. It is about the control the person doing the hitting is trying to gain. If they aren't trying to control the person being hit then I don't think later damage will happen. It is also in the eyes of the victim.
__________________
ME: Dagny 34. Married 7/16/04 to: DH: 36. US Navy Corpsman. DS: Quinn 15. Future Mad Scientist DD: Kayla 8. Future Pink Mermaid Ballerina Princess
DS2: Colin 14 monhs. Walking toddler!
Feed your children human milk as long as possible, it might save their life. It did my son's.
kaylabelle05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:46 PM   #30
mibarra
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylabelle05
I do believe if the spanking is with other abuse it will cause permanent damage. But if we are talking about a single swat on the butt with a talk , it might temp hurt but it won't cause damage. It is about the control the person doing the hitting is trying to gain. If they aren't trying to control the person being hit then I don't think later damage will happen. It is also in the eyes of the victim.
Certainly abuse is damaging. But where does spanking become hitting/abuse? Honestly curious. An occasional swat on the butt? What about a swat on the butt for every infraction? The same force swat once the child isn't in diapers? Leaving a handprint? At what point exactly does a spanking turn into hitting? Does doing it from anger or 'with love' matter?

As for control, what other purpose do most forms of discipline serve? We are trying to control the behavior of our children through punishments, rewards, and consequences. I personally see very few parents trying to teach anything, just end an undesired behavior, whether it's hitting, biting, running off, not listening, night waking, in my 'real' life I see very few parents who care about the WHY of the behavior or teaching the WHY NOTs, and only care that it stops. It's really very sad.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.