Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-03-2012, 10:27 PM   #31
jlsquire0324
Registered Users

I worked for CPS for 2.5 years.. I would be concerned about the kids being unsupervised outside for hours... But how do you know mom isn't watching from the window? Also, I wouldn't call about things that have happened over the course of years. I would ask why you waited so long to call if you were that concerned. Call about things that are immediate safety threats or that put the children at imminent risk of danger. And I agree with pp, CPS isn't just there to remove kids. A lot of worker try and help families locate resources, educate etc. removing kids should be the very last resort. Good luck in your decision :good vibes:

Advertisement

jlsquire0324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:29 PM   #32
Tweedledum
Registered Users

Re: Opinions please abuse or different parenting?

I think it's cultural differences. That being said, they've been in the country for 15 years. They should know about car seats by now. I wouldn't call CPS, but I would befriend the parents and tell them that they could get in big trouble if the kids are not riding safely. But I'd totally support the OP's decision to call CPS if that's the direction she wanted to head in. Follow your conscience is what I say.
Tweedledum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:54 AM   #33
mommy24babes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsquire0324
I worked for CPS for 2.5 years.. I would be concerned about the kids being unsupervised outside for hours... But how do you know mom isn't watching from the window?:
Half the time there are no parents home. Let alone watching out the window. The kids are a couple blocks over, in peoples houses and yards ( sometimes without permission ) we padlocked our gate because of this.

My kids have asked to go over to play in the past (before I knew) and when I have gone to the door to see if it was ok with the parents /meet them there was no parents home.
Another parent went to pickup her child from playing and discovered there were no adults home.

The times they forgot their keys and were at my house no one let them in until 8:00.

I guess my tipping point for considering calling was discovering that they don't have proper carseats as well as seeing the little guy take a nasty spill on his bike with no helmet on.
mommy24babes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:24 AM   #34
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think a 10 year old is capable of watching a 5 and 7 year old. They shouldn't be in other peoples yards, no, but I don't see anything wrong with those ages being home alone to be honest. If they are in others yards then they should call the police.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:07 PM   #35
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

This is from this website...http://www.oacas.org/childwelfare/fa...#whatifparents

It is specific to Ontario

The Child and Family Services Act does not identify an age when a child can be left alone, or an age at which a child can supervise or babysit other children. The Act recognizes that age alone is not a sufficient safeguard for the supervision of children.
The Act says that a person who has charge of a child less than 16 years of age cannot leave the child without making provision for his/her care or supervision that is reasonable under the circumstances. Anyone who contravenes this provision is guilty of a provincial offence and if convicted is liable to a fine of up to $1,000 and/or imprisonment of up to a year.
In addition, the Criminal Code of Canada includes the offence of abandoning a child. Everyone who unlawfully abandons or exposes a child who is under the age of 10 years, so that its life is or is likely to be endangered, or its health is or is likely to be permanently injured is guilty of an offence that carries a penalty of imprisonment of not more than two years.
If you're unsure as to whether it's okay to leave your child home alone, please consult with your local Children's Aid Society -- you don't have to give your name, or any identifying information.

This is from this website, which is also Ontario specific:
http://www.facswaterloo.org/html/Hel...pervision.html

Help for Parents

Help For Parents | Supervision of Children | Babysitting Checklist | Positive Discipline
Positive Parenting | Parenting Teens | Resources and Links | FAQ

What Does "Supervised" Mean?
Supervised means that the caregiver can see the child and is close enough to protect the child from harm.
Children 0 to Four Years Old
Children in this age group must be supervised at all times!
Children Five to Seven Years Old
Children in this age group may play unsupervised for up to 30 minutes when a parent (or age-appropriate caregiver) is at home and can check-in regularly with the child or is able to see the child. Many children in this age group can be taught to walk to school by themselves, however, it is preferred that children in Kindergarten and Grades one and two are accompanied by a caregiver when walking to school or waiting for the school bus.
Children Eight to Nine Years Old
Children in this age group should not be left alone before or after school. When a parent (or age-appropriate caregiver) is at home, children aged eight to nine may play unsupervised in the immediate neighbourhood for up to one hour after the conditions listed below have been taken into consideration. There should not be a pattern of leaving a child unsupervised.
-the child knows general rules for safety
-the child knows how to react in case of fire, power outage and other emergencies
- the safety of the external and internal environment has been assessed
-the developmental age and abilities of the child have been considered
-the child is generally cooperative and can be depended on to follow rules
Ten to Eleven Years Old
Children in this age group may be occasionally left alone at home for up to one to two hours (eg. after school 3:30 p.m.-5:30 p.m.), provided they have no fear or anxiety staying home alone and the child's level of maturity matches this arrangement. Children in this age group should not be home alone for any period of time during overnight hours or be expected to take care of younger siblings or friends. In order to ensure a childs' safety, parents should teach them general safety rules which should include the following:
-how to react in case of a fire, power outage and other emergencies
-how to use the telephone and how to answer the telephone or door (and know the dangers of each)
-whom to contact in an emergency
-where to find emergency and contact numbers (both should be posted by the phone)
-where emergency supplies, like a flashlight and first aid kit, are kept and how to use them
-how to use a house key responsibly
-how to set limits with friends
-where to play, with whom and for how long
Children Twelve & Older
It is recommended that children in this age group are not left alone overnight. Children in this age group are often able to babysit younger children. They should be able to demonstrate that they can follow safety rules. A babysitter who has a babysitting certificate has demonstrated a commitment to take care of younger children and has learned skills that help keep children safe.
-a 12 or 13 year old babysitter should not be left in charge of more than two children; -should not be responsible for cooking, supervising swimming of or the bathing of children; must have zero to five minutes access to consultation with a parent or a responsible adult; and it is generally preferred/ recommended that they do not babysit after midnight or for periods longer than four hours per day
-a sitter's number one priority should be looking after the children NOT entertaining friends, listening to music, etc...
-it's the job of the parent(s) to hire a sitter to look after their children adequately
What does the CFSA say about leaving children unattended?
Sec. 79(3)--"No person having charge of a child less than 16 years of age shall leave the child without making provision for his or her supervision and care that is reasonable in the circumstances."
Sec. 79(4)-- "Where a person is charged with contravening Subsection (3) and the child is less than ten years of age, the onus of establishing that the person made provision for the child's supervision and care that was reasonable in the circumstances rests with the person."

Parents Are Ultimately Responsible For Their children's safety!
Additional Safety Tips
-never leave a child alone in a car
-never leave a child home alone
-never leave a child alone with pets (pets can be unpredictable)
-never leave a child near water (bathtub, pool, hot tub, river...)
-never leave matches, lighters, ashtrays, candles, and other fire hazards within the reach of a child

Use a Child Proofing Checklist around and in your home to prevent injury and ensure safety for your children. A checklist can guide you through your home and help you notice problems such as hazardous chemical storage, unsecure furniture, insufficient safety latches, exposed electrical cords and poisonous plants. For a copy of a checklist, please contact one of the resources listed on our pamphlet or visit our links page.

Accidents Can Be Prevented!
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 07-04-2012 at 12:09 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:08 PM   #36
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

Well. I have to say. The ages in the above post are reasonable BUT it annoys me that someone has spelled that out in a law somewhere (even if it's not in the US.) I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because I've met some 7 year olds that seem more responsible and capable of being left home or unattended than some of the 18 year olds I've met....

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:18 PM   #37
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

^ Agree.

One of my friends let her two kids, 11 and 9, come home off the bus after school for 3.5 hours alone until she gets home from work. She has prepared snacks ready in the fridge, kids know how to dial 911 or go to a neighbors house if needed. The 11 year old now stays home by herself now that they are out of school. The 9 year old does only twice a week, otherwise he's at a friends house.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:21 PM   #38
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Well. I have to say. The ages in the above post are reasonable BUT it annoys me that someone has spelled that out in a law somewhere (even if it's not in the US.) I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because I've met some 7 year olds that seem more responsible and capable of being left home or unattended than some of the 18 year olds I've met....
I completely agree! It also annoyed me that it said that a first grader can but should be accompanied by a parent to walk to school. I walked to school in first grade and I definitely was old and mature enough to do it.

Last edited by nohollyhomaker; 07-04-2012 at 03:23 PM.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #39
lilac0226
Registered Users

I live in a town house complex and can definitely relate by seeing all of those things on a daily bases. I am guessing it is a cultural thing. I might casually mention the laws on child seats and helmets, but I am guessing they are choosing not to follow them. If kids are being unsupervised and in unsafe situations I might report it but I don't know if it would actually be something protective services would intervene with. It is sad, I'm sure these kids will struggle in school and something really bad could happen to them.
lilac0226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:47 PM   #40
jlsquire0324
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy24babes

Half the time there are no parents home. Let alone watching out the window. The kids are a couple blocks over, in peoples houses and yards ( sometimes without permission ) we padlocked our gate because of this.

My kids have asked to go over to play in the past (before I knew) and when I have gone to the door to see if it was ok with the parents /meet them there was no parents home.
Another parent went to pickup her child from playing and discovered there were no adults home.

The times they forgot their keys and were at my house no one let them in until 8:00.

I guess my tipping point for considering calling was discovering that they don't have proper carseats as well as seeing the little guy take a nasty spill on his bike with no helmet on.
If the kids are getting hurt while being unsupervised, I would call the police. They will call CPS if they think there is reason to. Good luck mama! It sounds like this family is right on the edge either way. Follow your heart
jlsquire0324 is offline   Reply With Quote