Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-04-2012, 08:11 PM   #41
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Opinions please abuse or different parenting?

We have quite a few African refugee friends, and most everything you're saying sounds familiar. It has been frustrating to those of us that are around them, because they definitely care about their kids, but they really don't have the understanding of the importance of some laws (like helmets and proper safety gear). The clothing issue is also familiar. Still, I would never think of calling child services on them. In the end if something happened because they didn't obey the laws after being advised it would be their burden to bear; that's life. It might sound callous to say that, but I don't mean it that way. Parents have a responsibility to protect their children, and as long as there is no abuse, I don't see how involving the government does much good, especially if there is a strong cultural gap of understanding of safety that we just take for granted.
I mean, some of our friends had family members who were murdered in front of them or who are missing...when they get here they are just happy to have food and be alive, so bike safety I'm sure seems like not such a big deal when they've made it through the figurative fire already.
Not sure that the same is true of this family, but that is just my personal experience with other African friends.

Advertisement

Old 07-05-2012, 04:56 PM   #42
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancermommy1 View Post
Well. I have to say. The ages in the above post are reasonable BUT it annoys me that someone has spelled that out in a law somewhere (even if it's not in the US.) I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because I've met some 7 year olds that seem more responsible and capable of being left home or unattended than some of the 18 year olds I've met....
But that isn't the law you're reading. Nowhere in Canada specifies an age.
The paragraph at the top and then in the body of the one from Waterloo says:

The Child and Family Services Act does not identify an age when a child can be left alone, or an age at which a child can supervise or babysit other children. The Act recognizes that age alone is not a sufficient safeguard for the supervision of children.
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:17 PM   #43
kaimon
Registered Users
seller

Just throwing this out there... but you can call youth protection and 'consult' too. Give the info leaving out the identifying infor to see what they suggest. If they feel it warrants a report they will let you know. If not they will tell you.