Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-03-2012, 07:08 AM   #11
melissamomof3girls
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Quick Help- Swollen Penis

My son had this last August after a vacation where we used sposies. I called up a family member who also has intact boys and she assured me it can happen, her boys had it happen when they got a fuzzy in there. She told me she used garlic oil on it and rubbed it liberally all over it at every change. I did that and within 24 hours he was back to normal.

Good luck!

Advertisement

Old 07-03-2012, 07:17 AM   #12
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~happy2Bamommy~ View Post

Please let them know upfront that if they feel he needs to be retracted, you want to be sent to an Urologist.

And if you can see a pediatric urologist it would be even better! Oh, if it is urine in there, when it mixes with smegma it stinks. This happened to my DS and it freaked me out, but the urologist said it was ok.

I hope he gets well soon.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:26 AM   #13
aldermother
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Sounds like balanitis...you shouldn't need antibiotics. My son has this at 12 months, a bright red swollen like a little balloon penis. We did frequent soaks in baths (upon his pedi's advice) with lavender essential oil in the water. He was fine within a couple of days.

So sorry for you little guy

http://www.askamum.co.uk/Baby/Search...-Health-Notes/
We're a CDing (potty-learned), co-sleeping (bunk beds), extended BFing (weaned), baby-wearing (big boy-wearing), non-circing, Waldorf loving, tree-hugging, hand-me-downs-welcome Earth friendly family!
PT preschool teacher& FT Mama to my beautiful tree & our little growing sapling
aldermother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:32 AM   #14
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakodasMomma View Post
Do you always make sure to clean it really well? I know uncir requires a bit more cleaning than normal. It could be some sort of infection.. Which he would probably get antibiotics.

I hope everything is okay!!

NO NO NO! Intact boys do NOT require more cleaning. Just clean it like a finger until it naturally retracts (usually before puberty)
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:35 AM   #15
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think once they retract it might require more cleaning because they have to wash away the smegma and having to retract when showering (not that it is that much more work). But for baby boys, it's the same.

Maybe that's what she meant.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:19 AM   #16
mama2jack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakodasMomma View Post
Do you always make sure to clean it really well? I know uncir requires a bit more cleaning than normal. It could be some sort of infection.. Which he would probably get antibiotics.

I hope everything is okay!!
Nope, this is untrue.

Are there any marks on it? It could be a bug bite. Ds1 and my nephew have both had a bugbite on the penis before and the amout of swelling was insane. I did take ds to the dr just to be sure.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:33 AM   #17
lil_jodi
Registered Users

My Mood:

My DS is intact and it requires no extra work to clean. In fact, it was easy to clean when he had horrible poop diapers that got everywhere because the foreskin protected the head of his penis and wiped off easily. Now that he is almost 5 and it retracts (by his own hand!), we just remind him to "open his penis" for a min in the bath or shower so it gets rinsed and that's it. No issues with it being stinky or anything. Nice and clean with a bit of water to rinse it.

When he was in cloth diapers in the summer, he would get blisters on his penis just under the foreskin. I don't remember it getting swollen, but we had to use sposies at night because the heat and sweat and pee in the diaper did not mesh well for him. Hope your DS is ok.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:40 AM   #18
Bentley'sMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Update:

Just got back from doctor. They think it's yeast. He did have some white goo coming out of it. They swabbed him but won't have results until Friday.

They want me to put OTC antifungal on it twice a day.

If it is yeast, he's only been in 2 cloth diapers since swelling started. Do I just need to treat the diapers from the last 24 hours or is it something that could have infected my diapers for days before symptoms?
Bentley'sMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:43 AM   #19
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ds2 had ballooning when he was 4, i left it alone and the swelling went down
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:23 AM   #20
Sonoran Bloom
Registered Users

With yeast, it is always best to treat ALL your cloth - diapers, wipes, everything! Try to keep the area as dry as possible, too.
Sonoran Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote