Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-07-2012, 08:05 PM   #11
Mom2jandb
Registered Users
seller
seller

I can't help with the latching, but maybe try oatmeal for supply and drink lots of water. Can your LO sleep on your chest? That would help her get some sleep without spewing dinner.

My DD1 had awful reflux. It would just dump right out of her every time I laid her down. And it would come out of her nose too. DD2 is having issues as well. Just this week her pedi referred us to a baby chiropractor. This is supposed to help reflux assuming something is out of place.

Advertisement

Mom2jandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:32 PM   #12
TaraB
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: HELP! PLEASE, 3 WEEK OLD BABY

to build supply you can nurse and then immediately pump right after. It tells the body to produce more. Make sure you are nursing 8-12 times a day. fenugreek supplements and goats rue help with increasing supply. Maybe check with local hospitals for a breastfeeding clinic. Also lactation consultants can be very helpful. Check for local breastfeeding support groups too.

My background is a mama with PCOS.I had very poor milk supply with both. My first never transferred more than 1 oz a nursing session. My second's highest transfer with pre post feeding weights was 3 oz in a morning feed. The big difference between the two children was my pumping sessions after feedings to build supply and the adding goats rue.

We have experienced reflux concerns here too. One thing I would suggest is watch for overfeeding with the supplement bottle. My DS2 has painful reflux. I am pretty sure he drank supplement bottles early on to help soothe the pain by sucking. He needed supplements but he might not have needed as much as I was giving him.

My Ds1 and DS2 both nursed and had supplement bottles throughout infancy. I encourage to embrace nursing do whatever you feel is right for you to nurse as long as you want. However, don't ever let yourself feel defeated.
Tara~Married to my wonderful DH and mama to my DS#1 4 years old and DS#2 2 years old
TaraB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:44 AM   #13
Leaner
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyleon View Post
The only way she doesnt is when i hold her or when i place
her in her bouncer(once she "laids down" completly no matter what she vomits
milk out.
This is normal. Contact your local LLL and get the Womanly Art of BF. (I'm reading it now, even though my baby is 15 months old and I successfully nursed my MDD until 34 months).

I don't think it sounds like you don't have enough milk, and supplementing with formula so early will do 2 bad things- it isn't good for baby's gut and it lowers your overall milk supply which, if you want to EBF her later, means you will have to work really hard to play catch up. it does get easier (for most people) and you may not even remember how hard it was in the beginning when she's 1 or 2 or 3 years old.
Leaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:04 AM   #14
babyleon
Registered Users
seller

hello I truly wanted to thank you all for all of your info and support, i felt very lost since i have nobody around to talk about or ask questions. I after reading all the info i realized that i do not have a low supply (my baby keeps getting weight) But i still had like to increase it to be able to save some milk in the fridge. I am using the nipple shield less often. My baby only had 3 oz of formula yesterday, and i hope to stop using at all soon. She will be a month this wednesday. I was giving up on breastfeeding because she would literaly pull back when i would put her close to my breast, to my surprise she is cooperating and trying to learn how to latch. We still working on that.
babyleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:05 AM   #15
babyleon
Registered Users
seller

whats does LLL stands for? Does anybody had for sale the book "the happies baby around the block" i think that called and the Womanly Art of BF?
Old 07-09-2012, 11:24 AM   #16
Gita
Registered Users
Formerly: MiamiBaby
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyleon View Post
whats does LLL stands for? Does anybody had for sale the book "the happies baby around the block" i think that called and the Womanly Art of BF?
LLL = la leche league, who wrote the Womanly Art of BF
Sorry, don't have it, I borrowed both books from the library
Old 07-09-2012, 11:38 AM   #17
dmj
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHouse View Post
My first recommendation is to contact a LLL group - they offer free support and are an amazing resource! Even if you don't have a group local to you, you can still speak to a leader on the phone. If you can attend a meeting, they can help you with your latch issues as well. You can also contact a local lactation consultant for help.

How is your baby behaving, when spitting up? Does she act fussy, or like she's in pain? If so, sounds like reflux and you need to see the doctor about getting some medicine. You can also try cutting out the foods that the PP mentioned. DS2 had/still has reflux and DS3 has GERD... neither of their issues could be managed through my diet (although I tried the Elimination Diet for months!), so they are both on medicine.
Very good information! LLL is a great resource and they don't charge you anything! They have membership dues, but they never turn anyone away if you can't afford to pay. They also have "payment plans" so you can pay the dues over time if you need to.
dmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:51 AM   #18
babyleon
Registered Users
seller

thank you all! its been hard work but its paying off, she has zero formula yesterday! and she is been better w her reflux
Old 07-10-2012, 09:47 AM   #19
vintagegyrl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our pediatrician said if it is refulx try Maalox first - just a 1/2 tsp in a syringe before a meal. Try that 3x a day only and if it helps then it is refulx and you can ask for Prevacid from the pediatrician. explain the before symptoms and how it changed after the Maalox.

Also some spitting up is normal even if it flows, lol. My DS has reflux and is much happier on the Rx but also still has some spitting up. he does better if I avoid dairy but I am having trouble getting enough calories lately so cutting stuff out is hard.

Not sure how much formula you are giving. If you are giving it often you will have to cut back gradually and increase your supply by nursing or pumping more. are you pumping each time you give a bottle? Depening on how much output you may need to pump extra times.. call your LL league locally!

Last edited by vintagegyrl; 07-10-2012 at 09:48 AM.
vintagegyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:42 PM   #20
Mom2jandb
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyleon
You can get the Womanly Art of BF on amazon used for about $8 shipped.
Mom2jandb is offline   Reply With Quote