Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-07-2012, 06:23 PM   #1
AddycakesMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
What is "normal" 11 month old behavior?

I am a first time mother with very few friends with children. Maybe one of you can help me out. I have an extremely active 11 month old DD. She played very rough, and she never never stops, and everyone points this out to me. She can be pretty distructive. Shes very vocal, and seems to be hitting milestones pretty early. She has been discribed as very alert since the day after she was born. She will not be held unless shes getting a bottle. At what point should I be concerned about her hyper behavior, or is this normal? My two nieces were nothing like this...so I have no idea.
Any impute would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

AddycakesMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:39 PM   #2
eahcapemay
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: What is "normal" 11 month old behavior?

Mines like that. It's even more delightful now that he is a giant, highly mechanical toddler. He's basically into something or sleep. No in between. Constantly busy. Good news is that the one other baby I knew like this is now a classics major at Bard with no mental health issues or ADHD.

I think it's well with in the range of normal. People may point it out more because she's a girl. If DS unshelves his books and then wanders off to undo all child safety locks people tend to react with "boys will be boys!" I don't know that they would have the same reaction if he was a little girl. Which is really unfair.

Last edited by eahcapemay; 07-07-2012 at 06:47 PM.
eahcapemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:09 PM   #3
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My ods is exactly how you described. He is 4 going on 5. He is a very active, intelligent, extremely social boy.

When he was a toddler we use to have friends come over and hang out and they would make commits like, "I am exhausted just watching him!"
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:19 PM   #4
maddys_mama
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmomma
My ods is exactly how you described. He is 4 going on 5. He is a very active, intelligent, extremely social boy.

When he was a toddler we use to have friends come over and hang out and they would make commits like, "I am exhausted just watching him!"

This exactly! Dd will be 5 in October and, at the same age as your (OP) lo, I would've described her the same way. She's still a very active, physical, independent child but she's learning to control herself better as she gets older.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:05 PM   #5
m0mof6
Registered Users

My Mood:
My YDD will be 1 yr on the 28th. She is also always on the move. She's also stubborn and if you tell her she can't have or do something she tries harder or throws a fit depending on her mood. It just her own personality- totally different than my other 5. Between her and YDS (also very active), we (my DH, my oldest 2 and myself) have to always be on guard.
m0mof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:53 AM   #6
AddycakesMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you for responding! One last question. My DH and I are considering trying for another, but aren't really sure how we could keep up. Everyone tells us that having two is easier. How is this possible?!
Old 07-08-2012, 06:59 AM   #7
firsttimeclothmomma
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0mof6 View Post
My YDD will be 1 yr on the 28th. She is also always on the move. She's also stubborn and if you tell her she can't have or do something she tries harder or throws a fit depending on her mood. It just her own personality- totally different than my other 5. Between her and YDS (also very active), we (my DH, my oldest 2 and myself) have to always be on guard.
Mine will be one on the 29th and I agree 100% with the tantrum business. I've noticed it a lot more in the last couple of weeks. I definitely wouldn't describe him as hyper, but he is ALWAYS on the move. He's definitely not the baby to chill in any one place for more than 2-3 minutes. Makes for difficult outings! I do think every baby is different.

OP: When you say hitting milestones early, can you be more specific? Is she speaking words clearly? Running? Eating steak and potatoes with a fork?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddycakesMama View Post
Thank you for responding! One last question. My DH and I are considering trying for another, but aren't really sure how we could keep up. Everyone tells us that having two is easier. How is this possible?!
I'm desperate for this answer, too! LOL I know we're not ready to try for another year or two (the biggest reason: we cannot afford two in daycare), but I, too, am anxious about how to handle two babies, especially if they are identical! DS was a rough infant and is still a difficult kid in a lot of ways. If he doesn't outgrow this until he's 10, I don't think mentally I can handle another one!
Old 07-08-2012, 07:56 AM   #8
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Sounds like DD1. She's my wild woman. To be fair, she does have a few mild sensory issues, but nothing that we think interferes significantly in her daily life. She's only still when sleeping.

It's totally normal for little boys, and some girls are that way too, people just don't expect it. If you're concerned, I would look into an Occupational Therapy evaluation.

Having 2 is easier once they can play together. DD1 & DD2 are 21 months apart, and it was ROUGH until DD2 was about8 months. But she was extremely clingy and wouldn't even go to DH til 12 months, so it depends on the baby

Last edited by mibarra; 07-08-2012 at 07:59 AM.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:36 AM   #9
AddycakesMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
Sounds like DD1. She's my wild woman. To be fair, she does have a few mild sensory issues, but nothing that we think interferes significantly in her daily life. She's only still when sleeping.

It's totally normal for little boys, and some girls are that way too, people just don't expect it. If you're concerned, I would look into an Occupational Therapy evaluation.
That's funny that you mention that because a close friend of mine is an OT for babies. She's spent a lot of time with DD, and always seems to be studying her....( that's what she does with everyone though!) I'd like to think that she'd tell me if something was wrong.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:09 AM   #10
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
DS has been going nonstop since he popped out! He is a super active, into everything, rough housing 12month old.

I chalk it up to him exploding with curiosity for everything he can do now, and the development being so fast at that age.

It got a lot easier once he started having empathy, learned more of what is and isn't okay, etc. But I doubt he will ever slow down.

Totally normal to me, I just know he requires a lot more stimulation than some, and I'm okay with that

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote