Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-03-2012, 10:02 AM   #11
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

Re: Would it make a difference to you? (picking a pediatrician)

I think personality is important depending on your personality. For me I'm shy and so if the doctor makes me feel uncomfortable or rushed I don't ask all the questions or bring up all the concerns I have and I wouldn't be as assertive about my child.

Advertisement

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:06 AM   #12
kaia.aline
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DottieHarley
The only issue for me would be the personality.
-DH and I discussed the whole vax thing while pg. We planned to vax regular schedule, and DH was very adamant that he did not want a Pedi who allowed no vax (delayed vax would have been okay). He was very concerned about what happens when you mix vax and nonvax kids KWIM?
-same day sick visits are huge. also, is there a nurse you can call for times when you're just not sure, or maybe a chat with a nurse would mean you don't need to go in? what are their after hours policies?
-close by is also huge. taking sick LO to a doctor further away... not for me
-is it just one doc? What happens when she is away? Who will actually do your well baby visits, her or a nurse?
-Can YOU deal with her personality? This is pretty important because you are going to be seeing her a LOT the first month or two (even if LO is 100% healthy) and you will be tired, stressed, and unsure. A jarring personality is not going to help the situation. You really want a doctor that you feel comfortable with.

Keep in mind you can ALWAYS switch after LO arrives, although it's easier to make a decision now.
If I call before 4pm I can either speak with a nurse about a possible sickness, or I can leave a msg for the dr to answer and a nurse will call me back with the answer by 5pm. If it's an emergency the dr will either call me back immediately or tell me to go to the children's hospital downtown (she does not like any of her patients to go to our local hospitals unless it's for minor things like stitches/casts/etc she said that if it's emergent enough to go to the hospital it's important that they go where the drs specialize in children's medicine)

After hours they have a nursing answering service? But I would not get any feedback from a dr until the next day.

It's a 3 dr practice with a 4th job share dr so that they always have 3drs on site. She would actually do the well baby visit as long as you book 1 month in advance otherwise it's whichever dr can fit you in without compromising their sick baby time slots.

I can handle her personality she is very similar to my peri (actually they are friends) but I feel like she should be nice/positive/happy with my lo if that makes sense? I'm not sure if it's really that big of a deal or not and I'm just hormonal

Ask me how to earn FREE jewelry and other amazing deals from Lia Sophia!
kaia.aline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:10 AM   #13
kaia.aline
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaacsmum
All the pros you listed are things that I'd think are pretty important. I would want those things in a ped even if I might not like their personality all that much. I want them for expertise not for someone to socialize with. The vax thing would actually be a pro for me too though - I see having a ped who doesn't compromise on vax recommendations as a high priority.
The pros are very important to me so much so that if I don't choose a dr at this practice I'm going to have to pick someone downtown in the med center to get what I want. Honestly I wasn't set on delay vaxing it was just something I had looked at because the number of shots they require per visit on the schedule makes me concerned, I'm just put off that now I can't even consider it.

Ask me how to earn FREE jewelry and other amazing deals from Lia Sophia!
kaia.aline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:13 AM   #14
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
I couldn't compromise on the vax thing also I'd want her to be friendly.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:20 AM   #15
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we vax on schedule so that wouldn't effect our decision. Personality- ehh. I don't really care if our doc has personality as long as I felt comfortable with her and my kids felt comfortable. If my kids did not feel comfortable then we wouldn't go to her. The big thing that stands out to me is that she lets you know how busy she is. I don't want to feel rushed or have a doc that wants us in and out. That is why for years we went to medical assist. or nurse practitioners since they are usually able to spend more time with you. My kids now have a ped who schedules longer appts on purpose so she is not rushed and no one is left waiting because a parent needed more then the 10 mins allotted. She takes her time and she also happens to be exactly what you expect from someone working with children as far as attitude. My kids love her and she lets dd play doc during ds' appointments. She surprised me at ds' last appt- dd had gotten a doc kit for Christmas and she was talking to the doc. The doc ran with it- told her what everything was- let her listen to ds' heart and tummy and let her look in his ear. I don't expect that at all from a doc, but I am very happy we found her.

And distance wouldn't bother us- I was willing to drive an hour one way to stay with dd's medical assistant (she was the first person to actually listen to me when I said there was something wrong- everyone before her blew me off as being helicopter mom). But she moved out of state shortly after we moved.

Last edited by jbug_4; 07-03-2012 at 10:28 AM.
jbug_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:24 AM   #16
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
Here is how I see it, if this is your first child.

In the beginning, you'll be going to the ped frequently. A lactation consultant is a nice thing to have. Being so close is a huge bonus, and it's really nice to have your baby's ped visit in the hospital. If you are considering vaxing on schedule, then go with these folks. You can always switch when/if you decide to delay or when you feel you or your child aren't clicking with the ped. You'll know after your 9 month checkup. After that, you'll have enough mama experience under your belt to handle a longer drive.

Nothing is set in stone. This ped sounds like your best bet for right now.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:25 AM   #17
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

oh- have you asked about limiting shots per visits rather than an all out delay. Our doc's office does not accept (and will not refer) patients who don't vax. they also require vaxing on schedule, but they will let you split up shots so they aren't all in one day- as long as they get in during the recommended age period.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:27 AM   #18
danielle
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
See if they are willing to space the vaccines. It's just a nurse visit. The doctor doesn't administer.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:29 AM   #19
danielle
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug_4
oh- have you asked about limiting shots per visits rather than an all out delay. Our doc's office does not accept (and will not refer) patients who don't vax. they also require vaxing on schedule, but they will let you split up shots so they aren't all in one day- as long as they get in during the recommended age period.
Ha, yep my thoughts written out a bit better than I did.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:34 AM   #20
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
Bed side manners are very important to me. If a doc seems to busy to be bothered with my concerns and doesnt have enough respect for me as a paying coustomer to offer a lil chit chat(Im not talking 20mins of bs but a how are yall today-and actually listen to the answer- is enough)....I have seen many docs/peds only once...

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).

Last edited by my2sweets; 07-03-2012 at 01:44 PM.
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote