Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-02-2012, 03:10 PM   #1
GreyMum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Is she ready to PL?

Hi,

My baby is 17 months. I recently got a baby bjorn potty. I really only ordered it to finish an Amazon order, so it wasn't necessarily because I thought she was any where near ready.

She started sitting on it with her clothes on, so last night, I put her on before her bath. She went no. 1. This morning, same thing. Then we were downstairs, and I noticed she was maneuvering to poo, so I thought, why not, and ran her upstairs to the potty. She sat, she played with a toy, she poo'd!

Is this all just random? Or is she ready? If she's ready, I am totally not! I have no idea what to do, like, she is still obviously going to pee in her diaper. Is that going to somehow inhibit long-term potty-learning? What should I do?

Also, she is at daycare 2X week. I have no idea what they do there in terms of PL'g, but I will ask tomorrow.

Advertisement

GreyMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:34 PM   #2
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
I would just follow her lead. Don't push it. Make it fun! DD is 22 months and she will just sit in her potty to fart. Weird but whatever! I think your DD is ready because it wasn't just 1 time. Good luck!
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:58 AM   #3
GreyMum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is she ready to PL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaDeanette View Post
I would just follow her lead. Don't push it. Make it fun! DD is 22 months and she will just sit in her potty to fart. Weird but whatever! I think your DD is ready because it wasn't just 1 time. Good luck!
Thanks for the encouragement!

Really interested to know whether it's ok to still keep in diapers, not put her on the potty all.the.time.

Oh, and I informed daycare this morning. I just said that I wanted to talk about potty-training, and the teacher first looked at me like I had two heads! Then, when I told her that she started on her own, she was like, wow, ok, we can put her on the potty. I told her we are keeping it light and positive at this point, and we'll just see how it goes.

I really feel like I have no idea what I am doing, because I haven't had a chance to research yet . . . but I guess, we'll just go with the flow!

Last edited by GreyMum; 07-03-2012 at 07:59 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:39 AM   #4
MrsStripe
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My 19 month old has been asking for at least the last month to be put on the potty when he wakes up. This morning he was mostly dry and did pee a lot in the potty. It was out for DS1 because even though he doesn't need it, he still uses it sometimes when I leave a poopy diaper soaking. If we catch him dry we put him on it, or if he asks we put him on it. Not really training him now, but letting him lead with it. I told daycare about it, and the one teacher thinks it is too much work to do with him, but the other decided to try it if she caught him dry and he peed for her so she believes it is worth it now. Maybe he'll be easy though I'm not really ready for him to use the potty yet.
MrsStripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:10 AM   #5
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

For us, this went on for about 6 months before DD1 was ready. You are catching her at times you know she goes. Sounds like she has very little awareness of actually needing to go, so you'd probably be the one trained to catch her cues and sit her on the potty.

At this stage, you could continue what you're doing, start talking about wet/dry, like is your diaper wet? Yes, it's wet, you went pee pee or whatever, to get her used to the difference, and just go from there. I wouldn't go all in. If you wait until thier really ready most kids basically train themselves
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:19 AM   #6
GreyMum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
For us, this went on for about 6 months before DD1 was ready. You are catching her at times you know she goes. Sounds like she has very little awareness of actually needing to go, so you'd probably be the one trained to catch her cues and sit her on the potty.

At this stage, you could continue what you're doing, start talking about wet/dry, like is your diaper wet? Yes, it's wet, you went pee pee or whatever, to get her used to the difference, and just go from there. I wouldn't go all in. If you wait until thier really ready most kids basically train themselves
Thank you! This sounds right! Basically, she is our first, so you can imagine my ENTHUSIASM at her using the potty! I called my DH each time she used it. I've told two people at work already, but I know I have to stop that! And, I posted here. Hee-hee!

But, I agree, she has no actual awareness, except for poo'ing, she really seems to start contorting herself to go, so maybe she is somewhat aware? And, then she did go on the potty, so at least that's a step in the right direction. I definitely need to chill out though, and I will start talking about her diaper being wet because it's not something I really focused on before, though they do pick up on things we say even if we don't even realize we're saying them. The things she knows kind of really amazes us.

Ok, I will stop going on and on. Thank you for your input. I really value everyone's advice here. So much experience in one place!!
Old 07-03-2012, 09:54 AM   #7
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
I say go with it, but don't push. My DD instantly knew poop went in the potty when she was naked, but her concept of pee isn't quite as clear - or she's not physically able to tell before it comes.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:02 AM   #8
doodah
Registered Users
seller

Go with it but very little pressure. There are kids that potty train very young. But the majority will lose interest at such an early age or will regress at some point once the "terrible twos" kick in and they start getting stubborn about random things. I would keep her in diapers, put her in the potty before and after every sleep time (thats your best chance of catching anything) and put her on every two hours during the day. For even less time, just put her on every time you are in the bathroom. If she is consistently interested after say, two weeks, then I would amp up the training a bit. My oldest trained really early, nights and everything with very little prompting. But that is actually not the norm so I didnt expect it for my 2nd. The 2nd was going at 16 months but regressed several times and now at almost 3, is finally fully day and night trained.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:14 AM   #9
eliz7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My odd pooped on the potty at 18 months and NEVER pooped in a diaper again! My ydd is 20 months and has started to want to sit on the potty. I just let her when SHE wants and put the control in her hands. I always feel like the best bet for early pl'ing is to not control anything but be open to sitting in the bathroom with them at inopportune times if THEY want to like bed time just got 45 minutes longer because she asks to potty after she is in her nighttime diaper She did pee and poo last night though so it was worth it!
Happy to be again after a bit of a break
eliz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:34 AM   #10
Mac & Cheeses mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Totally with you OP DD2 is 18m and just now got the potty in the potty concept. she would poo in it I make but would hold it if it was pee. So I knew she had control. Today it clicked and she has peed 3 times in her potty since she got up from her morning nap and had one accident which she helped clean up.

She is stubborn like above pp has said and I have to let her control it, which is I think why today has been so good. Start whit above mentioned ideas and remember that she will do it when she is ready.

DD1 was fully trained both days and nights by 2 within 2 days. When it clicks it clicks and fast.

Have faith and you will do fine.