Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-04-2012, 10:28 AM   #11
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Air/Hotel travel with an infant

Nurse on take off and landing, babywear, I would probably do sposies just because one less thing to think about during this stressful time, bring a toy or two..yes at 3 mos. Make it a new one. If you don't nurse bottle feed and maybe bring pacifier even if she normally doesn't take one incase not feeding time for take off and landing.
I flew with DD when she was 7 mos by myself and drove 2 1/2 hrs multiple times when she was 3 & 4 mos by myself.
It really isn't that hard.
So sorry for your situation! I lost my Grandpa in May and I flew out day after also. I didn't for Jewish reasons, just to get there ASAP.

Advertisement

Old 07-04-2012, 09:23 PM   #12
Hi-Dog
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yeah, I nurse and supplement, so will nurse during take off and landing and probably give her a bottle during to keep her full and happy. She, so far, has not been a pacifier baby. She has a favorite lovey and monkey hanging toy so those will come along. I will probably keep her in the sling for most of the flight so my arms don't get too tired and just in case I fall asleep, too. I have been looking at the GroVia Biosoaker inserts and wonder if a pack of those to use with my Thirsties duo wraps might do the trick. Has anyone used those or the Flip disposables?
Old 07-04-2012, 09:45 PM   #13
tuckergirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyMae12 View Post
Yeah, we plan on bringing as little 'gear' as possible, so no stroller. We will probably bring both my ring sling and the more structured carrier that DH likes to wear with her. We will bring a car seat; Does the airport give you a bag for the carseat or do I have to buy one? (you know, something to protect the carseat during travel . . . though it would be great if there is an extra seat on board, but I know we can't afford to buy an extra seat at the moment.
I've flown with both my older kids at all ages/stages. IMO, bring the stroller! I would wear the baby, put the carry on luggage in the stroller, and flip the carseat upside down over the stroller. That was always the best way I found to get through the airport. Do NOT gate check the carseat. Even if your DD is a lap baby, do not let them take the seat at the ticket counter. Those seats get thrown around like you wouldn't believe. Order a bag for the carseat (there's a good one available from Babies R Us online - about $20 and it has a shoulder strap for carrying, but it's also nice and thick to protect the seat) and bring the seat with you to the gate. Gate check it and it won't get abused. The airport will not provide you with a bag for the seat.

Our rock n play folds up, but it doesn't disassemble small enough to get it in a suitcase. I just co-sleep with my babies in hotels - being in unfamiliar surroundings means that even when we've brought a pack n play, they don't use it cause they've all wanted the security of mama being right there.

We've got a trip coming up next month and we'll be traveling with a 5 year old, 2 year old, and 6 month old. I'm just thankful that DH is coming with us because normally it's just me and the kids (and carseats!)!
Old 07-05-2012, 12:25 AM   #14
disbugsmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

This is what happens when you check your carseats.

http://youtu.be/lzmJr1a-BHU

There is also a video of them throwing seats from the door down to the ground, but I can't find it right now.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:49 AM   #15
jessnic
Registered Users
seller
seller

We always took our rock and play and it was great. We would disassemble it and use a large duffel bag to pack it with other stuff.

On my smart phone which is clearly not as smart as it seems to believe
Old 07-05-2012, 07:07 AM   #16
LaughingPeaMama
Registered Users
Formerly: RedShoes
seller

Most hotels have porta cribs or pack n plays you can use. We got a pack n play at a nicer hotel and an actual porta crib at holiday in express so we did not have to drag the pack n play through the airport. We got an extra ticket for dd and used her carseat in the plane. More expensive but totally worth it as it was familiar and she slept most of the way
Wife to my soulmate since 7/12/03 mom to dd 2/9/09 and ds 1/5/12 and angel baby 10/07. Infertility survivor!ISO(willing to trade my FSOT items for) snapped unpaper towels EEEEUC or NEW heavy/long mama cloth
FSOT NOTE: SMOKE FREE DOG FRIENDLY HOME. EVERYTHING IS LINT BRUSHED BUT STRAY HAIRS WILL BE FOUND. IF THIS BOTHERS YOU DON'T FSOT WITH ME PLEASE
LaughingPeaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:12 AM   #17
mkrisel
Registered Users

Traveling with a non mobile baby is much easier! I agree with wearing, just be aware that some airlines require you to take the baby out for take off and landing. I wasn't planning on this and had a sleeping baby who was no longer sleeping . We used a hotels crib/pack and play, but brought out own sheet. We also did disposables on trips-it was way easier. And I agree with just taking some on the plane and buying more there. Nurse during take off and landing to help ears with the pressure change.
So sorry for the reason for your trip!
mkrisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:04 AM   #18
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yes--they will not let you babywear on take off and landing or through security. I had to take a sleeping baby out of my Beco this winter and was NOT amused, and neither was she. They will also make you take baby's shoes off in security, which ticked me off. Yea, I have a bomb in her Robeez...
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:26 PM   #19
jessnic
Registered Users
seller
seller

I flew with DS at 4 months and 8 months wearing him with no issues. They checked to see I had no connected the carrier to the seatbelt on all flights, with 4 different airlines, and let him be.

On my smart phone which is clearly not as smart as it seems to believe
Old 07-05-2012, 03:58 PM   #20
Hi-Dog
Registered Users
seller
seller

So we are on our way to the airport, FIL asked if we could just come out to say goodbye instead of for the funeral, DD and great grandma will get to meet, which we have all decided is more important. The tire on our stroller went flat so that's not coming. The hotel has a pack and play so I got our own sheet, a pack of sposies and wipes later, we are off to Baltimore!