Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-04-2012, 09:00 AM   #1
Adinanna'sMomma
Registered Users
seller

"Want some, mommy!"

I have just about decided I am ready to wean DD. She will be turning 2 in a few weeks. Currently, she only nurses at bedtime and first thing when she wakes up in the morning. She can go without the night nursing if she is super tired or if we are out and she falls asleep on the ride home. The morning nursing session is another thing entirely. It's like her morning coffee. She wakes up grumpy as a bear crying, "want some, mommy!" As soon as she nurses for a few minutes, she is sweet as could be, or else she'll go right back to sleep. I have tried distracting her with a cup of milk or water, or just getting her right up and giving her breakfast, but she still doesn't want to let go of that nursing. DH and I have tried talking to her and telling her that she is a big girl now, and doesn't need mommy's milk anymore, but that makes her cry and it's breaking my heart! How can I make this a smooth, less traumatic and less sad experience?

Advertisement

Old 07-20-2012, 06:24 PM   #2
NikiG
Registered Users
seller

Maybe wait a little longer? Sometimes a week can make a big difference.
If you want it done now, try offering something else to "wake her up" water, milk, juice (whatever you allow in her diet) in a sippy that she gets to drink on your lap all cuddly. At this point her morning wake up is more about connecting with you than "I'm starving I need milk". So try to give her that mommy time but with a replacement for the boob.
NikiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:59 PM   #3
Adinanna'sMomma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikiG
Maybe wait a little longer? Sometimes a week can make a big difference.
If you want it done now, try offering something else to "wake her up" water, milk, juice (whatever you allow in her diet) in a sippy that she gets to drink on your lap all cuddly. At this point her morning wake up is more about connecting with you than "I'm starving I need milk". So try to give her that mommy time but with a replacement for the boob.
Thanks for your reply! You're right, maybe even less than a week after I posted this question she stopped asking completely. She has now been fully weaned for probably 2 weeks now!