Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-08-2012, 12:08 PM   #1
Hellga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
S/O Gender Neutral nursery themes?

Husband and I have a nursery theme picked out for when we do managed to conceive again, and we plan to use it regardless of gender. Baby blue, orange, tan, and little bits of brown, with a seaside theme and as many orange crab decorations as we can find. We are both totally in love with it! However, I've heard both that it's too girly for a boy (which totally goes right over my head. What is "girly" about this?) and that it's waaaaaaay too boyish for a girl. Anyone else done this? And I don't mean painting the nursery yellow because you're waiting to find out the gender till birth

Advertisement

Slowly but surely making money with Swagbucks!
Hellga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:11 PM   #2
TS8213
Registered Users

My Mood:
Curious to hear the replies since this will be the first time we've gone team green.

Fwiw, I don't think your theme sounds too boyish.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using DS Forum
TS8213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #3
champatlife
Registered Users
seller

Re: S/O Gender Neutral nursery themes?

I think most gender neutral tends to better fit baby boys than baby girls. I def wouldn't consider this theme "too girly" and if the little one pops out a little girl all you have to do is add bows (in the coordinating colors) to the crabs or something to that affect.

last pregnancy we went team green, painted the nursery bright orange (I read an article that said it made babies happy, hah) and went with rain forrest theme. I def think it would have fit a little boy better, but we ended with a little girl, and I never thought twice about it.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:32 PM   #4
kangasox
Registered Users
seller

I think it sounds perfectly gn. What the heck is gender specific about the beach? Do only boys or girls go? Silly. I think the colors and idea sound great. People get thrown off by blue for whatever reason. I am pg for the third time, we've always been team green. Any time I buy ANYTHING with blue, my mother asks if we know something. And we have a green gn nursery done in Beatrix potter and you should have heard the fit she had when I got a blue bedskirt before the baby was born. Sheesh! They're just colors people!
kangasox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:39 PM   #5
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

I love the theme idea! It sounds adorable!

I think it's flat-out stupid to assign kids certain sets of colors, toys, likes/dislikes based on gender. I don't think there's anything wrong with your theme for a boy or a girl.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:39 PM   #6
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

I love the theme idea! It sounds adorable!

I think it's flat-out stupid to assign kids certain sets of colors, toys, likes/dislikes based on gender. I don't think there's anything wrong with your theme for a boy or a girl.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:58 PM   #7
pcjs
Registered Users

My son didn't get a "nursery" till he was a few months old. You can either paint a neutral color like tan and then add what ever color you like or just wait till later on. It wasn't a big deal though it would have helped to have basics like a crib. I could/would never do a nursery till baby is near or here. I hope a baby joins your family very soon!
Old 07-08-2012, 02:22 PM   #8
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellga View Post
Husband and I have a nursery theme picked out for when we do managed to conceive again, and we plan to use it regardless of gender. Baby blue, orange, tan, and little bits of brown, with a seaside theme and as many orange crab decorations as we can find. We are both totally in love with it! However, I've heard both that it's too girly for a boy (which totally goes right over my head. What is "girly" about this?) and that it's waaaaaaay too boyish for a girl. Anyone else done this? And I don't mean painting the nursery yellow because you're waiting to find out the gender till birth
We did a baby farm theme with our nursery with lots of light colors and nothing too gender specific. I knew I didn't want to change it no matter if I had a boy or girl. We live on a farm and so it seemed right to us! 3 boys and 1 girl later and no regrets. Personally, I love gender neutral stuff because you don't have to redecorate/rebuy covers like one would if they had different genders each pregnancy!

Last edited by raisingcropsandbabies; 07-08-2012 at 02:25 PM.
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:26 PM   #9
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

We didn't paint the walls because we were moving in a year anyways and didn't want to repaint them again

but.. we didn't know our gender and we went with a wildlife theme. Which, would have been the theme no matter what since I have a degree in wildlife biology

yes, it's probably more 'boy' than 'girl', but that's also silly. Foxes and owls and bears and raccoons are just animals. Now that she's here and we live in a different house, there are more flowers and butterflies amongst all the other animals, but I think it's still really neutral.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:30 PM   #10
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think it sounds adorable!

Our nursery is teal with yellow and white accents. We did a mild woodland theme, so we have decals in there with a tree, an owl, some birds, and a squirrel. The walls are teal, the ceiling is a light aqua color. Bedding is mostly white, curtains and storage bins are yellow, etc.

I thought it was totally fine for a boy or girl. I'm sure others disagreed, but oh well. My son's penis didn't fall off or anything. I'm glad we went neutral but fun and a bit different. We're using the same room for this baby (our son moved into his "big boy room" already). We're team green again, so it's nice that we have this room ready to go. We spent too much money on it, so I'm glad it will get more use!

I purged 2,920 items in 2012 and 2,014 items in 2013.
2,014 items in 2014?
wordbox is offline   Reply With Quote