Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-26-2012, 01:56 PM   #1
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Anyone else watching their weight?

I am trying to gain only 15-25 lbs with this pregnancy. I am starting out 20 lbs over my good weight but 10 lbs over where I "should be" according to charts so my BMI is overweight (by 1-2 points). I have a fractured vertebra and back issues (vertebra fractured and healed itself crooked so I am completely misaligned). It's important that I don't put a ton of strain on my spine and back muscles. That's my main reason to avoid gaining a lot of weight, I was told that I really shouldn't get pregnant because of the danger of putting extra pressure on my spine.

So far I've gained 2 lbs in the first trimester and I don't know if I am crazy to think that I'll only gain another 13 lbs. Any tips? Any other mamas trying to be careful with weight gain?

Please no flames okay? I am eating healthy and not being crazily restrictive; I wouldn't diet while pregnant I am just trying to not eat like a horse or make my diet feature Dairy Queen blizzards and french fries (even though I would love to). It also doesn't help that all my coworkers bring in goodies and tell me "the baby needs a cookie!" I want to say, "No the baby really needs me to walk!"

I'll share one of my favorite recipes:

Cottage Cheese pancakes

1 cup cottage cheese
2 eggs
1 cup oatmeal
2 tbsn sugar
vanilla
cinnamon
1 banana

Mix cottage cheese and oatmeal in a blender, then add vanilla, spices, sugar and banana and blend. Finally add the oatmeal and blend. Cook like you would pancakes and serve with jam, butter or syrup.

For a whole order it makes around 6-7 pancakes and has around 50-60 grams of protein (depending on the size of the eggs used). It has around 700 calories for a whole order but I can usually only eat half. They are super healthy! I know they sound gross but I've served them to my brother and hubby and they both say they are surprisingly good and eat them without complaints.

So any other mamas out there??

Advertisement

Old 06-26-2012, 02:42 PM   #2
WRmomma
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Anyone else watching their weight?

I'm watching mine too. Like you I am starting out over my recommended lbs. I'm about 15 over. But lately the only thing that I can stomach is juice. I might try those pancakes when I can eat real food again.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:07 PM   #3
american_mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't want to gain a ton. I had lost a lot of weight last year then stress and not working out I gained back a lot before getting pg
My last 2 pgs I only gained 25 and 26 lbs. I don't know if I will do that again but I am not focusing on the numbers
http://deals.mamapedia.com/?ref_id=3...ontent=hotmail
american_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:50 PM   #4
jmoon
Registered Users
seller
seller

This is me!!! I am actually obese (HATE that word ) due to recently diagnosed hypothyroid. My midwife actually wants me to stay the same, give or take a few lbs. It is kind of stressful though, cuz I have gained about 60 lbs with other pregnancies. I am just trying to get in the groove of exercizing, and eating lots of fiber so I can stay full without too many calories. I also am not going to "diet" I just can not go hungry when I am pregnant! I hope we can all meet our health goals!
Old 06-27-2012, 11:41 AM   #5
norrahsmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I'm trying to not go over 15 pounds this time. I gained a total of 24 with dd, but only weighed 11 lbs more than when I got pregnant because I was so sick with her. I lost 3 lbs in the 3 weeks between my appointments so far.
Lacee- Mommy to my girls Norrah(4/09) and Naomi(1/13) Expecting #3 (10/14)

norrahsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:35 PM   #6
cristy_1996
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I am not over weight but I sure as heck don't want to have to loose a ton of weight after the baby either so I would ideally only gain around 25. Now I have lost 15 from being sick so it shouldn't be too hard...although in previous pregnancies, I gained so much in the last month! Like 4lbs a week!!

http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/CristyGriffith
cristy_1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:34 PM   #7
gueyclan
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoon
This is me!!! I am actually obese (HATE that word ) due to recently diagnosed hypothyroid. My midwife actually wants me to stay the same, give or take a few lbs. It is kind of stressful though, cuz I have gained about 60 lbs with other pregnancies. I am just trying to get in the groove of exercizing, and eating lots of fiber so I can stay full without too many calories. I also am not going to "diet" I just can not go hungry when I am pregnant! I hope we can all meet our health goals!
Hey mama! You sound just like me. I was diagnosed while pregnant with my 3rd child. I've been struggling with it ever since. Even with medication it is still difficult!
Brooke- Proud mama to 5 amazing boys D-14, A-12, T-10, P-8, G-5 and one sassy pants little girl E-2 Baby #7 due 12-6-15
gueyclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:41 PM   #8
american_mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoon View Post
I can't be hungry either. I get super sick and can't function.
http://deals.mamapedia.com/?ref_id=3...ontent=hotmail
american_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:54 PM   #9
jmoon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by gueyclan View Post
Hey mama! You sound just like me. I was diagnosed while pregnant with my 3rd child. I've been struggling with it ever since. Even with medication it is still difficult!
It is SO hard! I have been really concentrating on eating well, and exercizing, and even still my weight jumped 2 lbs this week I am going to talk to my midwife and see if we can go up a bit on my thyroid meds. I feel better when I am at a higher level within the normal range. If that makes sense.......
Old 06-29-2012, 10:50 PM   #10
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thankfully I only gain 10-12 pounds while I'm pregnant. I hope that true this time too!
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote