Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-04-2012, 07:14 PM   #1
SqueakersMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
The Accidental Unassisted Hospital (sidewalk) Birth of Evelyn Rose

I blame any strange typos, poor grammar, and run-on sentences on my 3 hours of sleep in the last 3 days lol! On Monday, July 2nd I started having moderately painful contractions at around 2pm. They were very far apart and very irregular sometimes only twice an hour. Although I had to walk and breathe through them I kind of pushed it out of my mind. By about 8pm they were a bit closer together but still very irregular coming anywhere from 16 to 23ish minutes apart and lasting an average of 1 min 40 sec. They hadn’t really changed in intensity so I decided to go to bed at about 10:30 pm and try to sleep. Sleep turned out to be a far-fetched fantasy with contractions jarring me awake for several more hours. They still were not very regularly spaced coming anywhere from every 10 minutes to every 23 minutes again. They had not changed much in intensity and were lasting around a minute. My plan was to head to the hospital when they were coming an around 7 minutes apart for an hour and were difficult to breathe through. They finally hit an average of 7 minutes apart but were barely lasting 30 seconds by that time and peaked very quickly without a lot of pain so I took a shower and texted my sister (who is a L&D nurse) to see what she thought. She and I decided that I was probably just having an episode of pre-labor and I resolved to make myself sleep and went to bed again. A bit later (I think maybe half an hour?) At 2:57am I awoke to an extremely intense contraction and immediately knew it was going to break my water. I jumped out of bed just in time for my water to break (luckily I had long pants on that soaked up most of it and the rest went on the carpet that I hate hahahaha). I knew at this time we were in for it since the time between my last baby’s water breaking and her being born was about 30 min. I woke Jake up and told him we needed to leave NOW and he must’ve believed me because he had the kids up and in the car in less than 5 minutes. We dropped the kids off at my friend’s house on our way out of the neighborhood and I called L&D at my hospital to let them know we would not be making it there and ask where we should go. They told me the name of a hospital close to our house but we didn’t know how to get there and the nurse on the phone didn’t either. Jake called 911 to see if we should pull over and wait for an ambulance or try to get to the hospital and they said it was up to us so the 911 operator gave us directions to the hospital. It ended up being 9 minutes from our house running every red light along the way hehe. When we got to the hospital, Jake pulled up to the ER entrance and ran inside to get help. A minute or so later he was back with a young hospital employee pushing a wheel chair. I got out of the car and the young man said to sit in the chair and he would get me right inside. I said (yelled? Screamed? Who knows…) that I could not get in the chair because I had a head coming out of my body and he turned around and ran back inside to get more help. Meanwhile Jake was still trying to convince me to get in the chair so he could get me inside quickly and I think my response went something like this, “Jake I can’t get in the chair she’s coming out – she’s down my pant leg! Quick, grab her out! Wait, wait – her cord – hang on let me sit down so I’m not pulling on it – get her out of my pant leg!!! Ok give her up here!” So…. There she was! She let out a few good cries and then was just peaceful and calm. It was just her and I and Jake all snuggled up on the ground for a good couple minutes (*bliss*) before a whole herd of L&D staff came running out the door. They estimate she was born at 3:25am….. 28 minutes after my water broke. The nurse in charge of the herd let Jake cut the cord so that they could get my pants off and I could stand up and get onto a stretcher. Evie got to stay on my chest the whole time they just gave me some blankets to cover her with and we were wheeled upstairs to L&D. She checked out beautifully so they let me nurse her while the OB delivered my placenta (about 45 min after Evie was born). Much to everyone’s surprise I had no tears or problems whatsoever and still don’t feel like I had a baby at all much less at lightning speed! Evie weighed in at 7lbs. 4oz. and is 20in. long.

Our hospital stay since has been some bad but mostly good. Every time there is a shift change we get to tell our story all over again to all the new people who want to know lol. I had a pretty bad bleeding episode so had 2 bags of Pitocin after Evie was born. Not fun, but not entirely surprising considering she is my 4th baby. Unfortunately we are still in the hospital because I was GBS+ so they want to monitor her until she is well out of the main time frame in which she would become symptomatic if she is infected. Even though the odds are in our favor that she is not infected, Jake and I decided that the benefits of being here should she become symptomatic far outweigh the downfalls of being stuck here another night. So far her blood culture for GBS are clear so we’re praying that they continue to be clear through the 48 hour mark. My milk came in at 23 hours after her birth so we’ve been nursing fools! Jake is not spending the night here tonight because we needed to give some relief to my super awesome friend who has been watching the kiddos for us, but DD1 is spending the night with me in the hospital. It should be fun! Anyhoooo…. That’s that. I got my natural unassisted birth outdoors haha. Ok so it wasn’t in a beautiful forest or field full of flowers – but it was an amazing experience that strangely enough I would happily repeat.

Advertisement

Old 07-04-2012, 07:20 PM   #2
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: The Accidental Unassisted Hospital (sidewalk) Birth of Evelyn Rose

Congratulations, that's a great story!
Old 07-04-2012, 07:33 PM   #3
dancingingrace
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What a beautiful baby!!! And, good for you in being so amazing through the whole thing!! Congratulations, mama!!!
dancingingrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:35 PM   #4
ivparker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

THat is so amazing and wonderful and I have chills all over and most of all she is beautiful!!!!
Old 07-04-2012, 07:38 PM   #5
Anna0623
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow amazing beautiful little girl.
Anna0623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:42 PM   #6
tweety612
Registered Users
seller
seller

Wow, what a story! Congratulations, she's a cutie!

Sent from my DROID4 using DS Forum
Old 07-04-2012, 07:45 PM   #7
MeCo7707
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

LOVE your story, thanks for sharing, and she's a cutie!
Old 07-04-2012, 07:48 PM   #8
melyndie
Registered Users
seller

Wow, what a crazy story!!! Glad you had an amazing birth.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:53 PM   #9
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
DDC- congratulations! She's beautiful and what a great story!!
Amanda- wife to DH. Mama to W (2010), L (2011), H (2013) & expecting #4 Jan 2016
kushie tushie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:03 PM   #10
Mac & Cheeses mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
OmGoodness! What a story! Congrats!!!