Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2012, 12:54 PM   #1
Whitley Brooks
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 9
My Mood:
Expecting boy/girl twins and getting dh on board w/ cd

Hi all!

Our twins are due in early January and I really want to cd to save money and for the other benefits for baby. DH is on board if it's not too hard or messy.

What type do you recommend (fitted, pre-fold etc) and which would be easiest for DH to use?

I was considering getting a starter set from one of the companies to get us going but wanted to ask the experienced and wise first.

Advertisement

Whitley Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:10 PM   #2
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,081
My Mood:
Re: Expecting boy/girl twins and getting dh on board w/ cd

IMHO, the easiest CD's are pockets. They are most like disposables because they just snap on with no folding or covers. They can be pre-stuffed so they are ready to go. I prefer them over all-in-ones because you can add absorbancy and they dry much faster. So, we use pockets with our 2 sets of twins, but I used them with my first too and he was a singleton. I'm into easy and convenient. That's why I picked pockets.

Congrats on your twins. My first set is girl/boy. I'm in VA too.
__________________
Heather SAHM to 6 who are 7 and under, including 2 sets of twins and our last little miracle, a surviving identical twin, born Oct 2012!
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:15 PM   #3
Whitley Brooks
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 9
My Mood:
Re: Expecting boy/girl twins and getting dh on board w/ cd

Thank you! I am from outside of Richmond, but was living in NoVa. Now with twins on the way, we are moving to my hometown/area to save and have some help/support.

I have to make this as easy as possible for dh lol Otherwise, he will find a reason to complain and rebel. That is until he realizes how much diapers cost.
Whitley Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:28 PM   #4
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,081
My Mood:
Re: Expecting boy/girl twins and getting dh on board w/ cd

My husband has always been on board with CD's to some degree, but has gotten more and more into them as time has gone on and we have had more children. He has really seen the financial benefit. Actually, at this point, he does the diaper laundry just as often if not more than I do and he is almost always the one to stuff our pockets. He sprays just as many poopy diapers as I do too. I am faster to grab a disposable than he is. He complains if he sees one on the kids. And I have to explain why. (With my first, I never used any disposables and with my first set of twins, very few. I tend to use them more now than before. Now, I have 5 small kids and I'm pregnant and I'm too lazy sometimes to want to clean them. Plus, I got tired of carrying a huge diaper bag. So, I use disposables when I'm out now. BUT, I don't advocate that specifically. I DO strongly prefer CD's. I've just been doing it for almost 7 years now, 3 at a time for a little over a year, then 2 at a time, then 4 at a time for about a year, and I'm getting burnt out.)

I grew up in No.VA. I now live a little farther west because of housing costs. I've also lived in F'burg for a while and still own a house there. We don't go in to Richmond a ton, but we LOVE the Richmond Zoo. Being close to family and friends when you have twins is very helpful.
__________________
Heather SAHM to 6 who are 7 and under, including 2 sets of twins and our last little miracle, a surviving identical twin, born Oct 2012!
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:36 PM   #5
kelpie169's Avatar
kelpie169
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tampa Bay Area
Posts: 1,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs
My husband has always been on board with CD's to some degree, but has gotten more and more into them as time has gone on and we have had more children. He has really seen the financial benefit. Actually, at this point, he does the diaper laundry just as often if not more than I do and he is almost always the one to stuff our pockets. He sprays just as many poopy diapers as I do too. I am faster to grab a disposable than he is. He complains if he sees one on the kids. And I have to explain why. (With my first, I never used any disposables and with my first set of twins, very few. I tend to use them more now than before. Now, I have 5 small kids and I'm pregnant and I'm too lazy sometimes to want to clean them. Plus, I got tired of carrying a huge diaper bag. So, I use disposables when I'm out now. BUT, I don't advocate that specifically. I DO strongly prefer CD's. I've just been doing it for almost 7 years now, 3 at a time for a little over a year, then 2 at a time, then 4 at a time for about a year, and I'm getting burnt out.)

I grew up in No.VA. I now live a little farther west because of housing costs. I've also lived in F'burg for a while and still own a house there. We don't go in to Richmond a ton, but we LOVE the Richmond Zoo. Being close to family and friends when you have twins is very helpful.
This is me. I can't get the regular laundry done, much less diaper laundry at the moment. But my husband is way on board. We exclusively use gDiapers, which I know alot I people don't like. But he loves them. So do I. We had one size pockets but they were really bulky. And we got out gs used so they were cheap. Our entire stash for 3 sizes was I think at most $200.
kelpie169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:03 PM   #6
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,081
My Mood:
Re: Expecting boy/girl twins and getting dh on board w/ cd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelpie169 View Post
This is me. I can't get the regular laundry done, much less diaper laundry at the moment. But my husband is way on board. We exclusively use gDiapers, which I know alot I people don't like. But he loves them. So do I. We had one size pockets but they were really bulky. And we got out gs used so they were cheap. Our entire stash for 3 sizes was I think at most $200.
We tried OS pockets too. I thought with 3 in diapers (before I had 4 in diapers ) that it would be helpful to have everyone able to wear the same diaper. So, after using sized for my oldest, I decided to try them out. I thought they were too bulky also, maybe because I was used to sized. We went back to our sized diapers. Actually, I have tried many different brands and styles of sized pockets. As it turns out, I always go back to our original diapers....old style Fuzzi Bunz. I sold everything else with the exception of a few GAD's that I love the embroidery on. My old style FB's are so old now, but I love them still. I gave up looking for something else I liked a long time ago.

I have never tried gdiapers and have no opinion of them at all. (though, I have heard of them, of course.)
__________________
Heather SAHM to 6 who are 7 and under, including 2 sets of twins and our last little miracle, a surviving identical twin, born Oct 2012!
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:14 PM   #7
Brooke789's Avatar
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SC
Posts: 4,179
Re: Expecting boy/girl twins and getting dh on board w/ cd

We have always used AIOs (BG Elementals specifically). They are as easy as disposables. We've had MIL change diapers and they use them at daycare now (at 2yo). We do use a different diaper for nighttime as these would not hold my heavy wetters for nighttime. I think a lot of people end up doing disposables anyway, but we do Flip covers with the Flip Organic insert stuffed with two hemp doublers for nighttime.

With twins changing diapers just turns into an assembly line, so IMO the least number of steps is the best option!

Congrats on your b/g twins. Mine are just over 2 and are absolutely best buds
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:09 PM   #8
twinpossible's Avatar
twinpossible
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: in a pile of laundry!
Posts: 1,987
My Mood:
Re: Expecting boy/girl twins and getting dh on board w/ cd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitley Brooks View Post
I have to make this as easy as possible for dh lol Otherwise, he will find a reason to complain and rebel. That is until he realizes how much diapers cost.
Feel free to tell him about my little experiment. I kept a list of all the money I spent on CDs and wool covers then compared that to the cost of sposies over one year. We spent $750 on CDs and wool but we saved over $2,000!!!!

My recommendation is GMD workhorse prefitteds with snappis for a newborn. They are inexpensive and easy to use. They do require a cover, you can do PUL or wool covers which are also inexpensive. Once the twins are about 6 months they will out grow these and I would sell that stash and move on to regular fitteds.

Fitteds are better for baby then diapers with PUL, they breath more. My twins were SO sensitive to PUL and would get heat rashes from the diaper trapping heat inside. The covers are cute anyway! We loved wool because you can shrink it down (felting) or reblock it larger. The twins had a pair of longies that fit from 6-14 months old. I think the wool saved us a lot of money in clothing costs over the last year and a half.
__________________
A crunchy wife to B and momma of identical twin girls G & E , our rainbow
baby C born at home April 2013 and R forever in my heart.
twinpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:38 PM   #9
Whitley Brooks
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 9
My Mood:
Re: Expecting boy/girl twins and getting dh on board w/ cd

Thanks ladies! I will definitely give hubby the results of your experiment.

I was talking about it again and he said he is in to try it. Now to build a stash.
Whitley Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:24 PM   #10
twinpossible's Avatar
twinpossible
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: in a pile of laundry!
Posts: 1,987
My Mood:
Re: Expecting boy/girl twins and getting dh on board w/ cd

If you are on Facebook there is a group called Cloth Diaper Swap, I bought many of our diapers there and here on DS.
__________________
A crunchy wife to B and momma of identical twin girls G & E , our rainbow
baby C born at home April 2013 and R forever in my heart.
twinpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.