Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-29-2012, 10:50 AM   #11
Mama_K
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Birth Center/ Midwife costs vs. hospital birth?

At the birth center here in NE will end up with charges around $6,000.00 vs. a midwife delivery at the hospital which is at least $10,000.00 + .

Advertisement

Mama_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:00 PM   #12
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My ob charged $4k oop after insurance. My midwife was $1700 + birth center fee of $500. We chose the mw and bc but had to transfer when dd was born not breathing and I wouldnt stop bleeding so we had an additional $10k-ish after both of our er and hospital stays.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:54 PM   #13
newclothuser
Registered Users
seller

homebirths in our area(PA) are about $1700 including everything. MW birthcenters about $5, with hospital being over $10.
mom to #1 DS 13 #2 DS 6 #3DD 5 and rainbow baby #5 DS 1 and always remembering our angel baby #4
newclothuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:10 PM   #14
Umm_Ibraheem
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

A vaginal hospital delivery in my state start at $12,000 and that's not counting your prenatal care. A c-section starts at $16,000 and climbs upward and doesn't include prenatal and if the newborn requires the NICU then the price just keeps on skyrocketing.

I lived in CT previously and we paid $2,500 for a homebirth including prenatal and when we moved to our new state the going rate for MW and homebirths are $6,000+. My 2nd homebirth cost us $3,000 because we came in so late in to care and we were paying out of pocket (unemployed so no insurance). This current pregnancy the MW charges $8,000 and that covers prenatal care but not much else. We do have insurance and they'll cover 80% in network and 60% out of network.
Umm_Ibraheem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:45 AM   #15
meesh38
Registered Users
seller

My most recent birth was over $40,000. It was an uncomplicated vaginal birth with 2 days in the hospital so I'm not sure why it was so much more than everyone else here? It was a twin birth so maybe that's why? With my insurance I had to pay 5k. The babies had a separate bill but I can't remember what that was. I think I had to pay a couple k for them as well.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:10 AM   #16
twinpossible
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcrossTheUniverse View Post
The average hospital birth is something like $12k. A local freestanding birth center charges $6k, and local homebirth midwives charge $2k.
Same here but our midwifes in CA charge about 3,500-4,500. Our state laws are strict and require many certifications and procedure. All this being said BY FAR the most cost effective, out of pocket way to give birth is at home with a midwife. Our midwife lets us make payments over a whole year instead of all upfront and she takes off a percentage if you pay cash instead of a credit card.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:55 PM   #17
Caz
Registered Users
Formerly: ccin***s
seller
seller

My Mood:

Our birth center charges $6000 for everything (prenatal, labs, delivery, and follow-up care for mama and baby with home visits).

My last delivery was with a midwife in a hospital, 24hr stay, no meds, no IV, etc. and it was at least twice that (not sure exactly, as we had amazing health insurance at the time and didn't pay a single penny beyond the copay for my very first prenatal appt)
Old 08-24-2012, 07:31 PM   #18
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Birthing center birth with DS was $1600, homebirth with DD was $1500. Both allowed us to pay what we could afford when we could afford it.

I wouldn't trade the experiences for a hospital birth if they PAID ME, even thousands. Both my births were wonderful. I espcially loved birthing in my own home.
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote