Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-07-2012, 02:33 PM   #21
cheezpoofs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Names?

I have a name chosen if this baby is a girl (one of three, anyway) and possibly a boy's name too, but I don't share until birth.

Advertisement

Veann - Libertarian, atheist, bookworm, heavy metal Mommy to all boys: Lucius (2-13-09), Orion (4-22-11), and Castiel (3-4-13), wife to Matthew - Anti-circumcision, babywearing, somewhat AP, natural birthing/ homebirthing, don't care about being "green", doing things my own way...
cheezpoofs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:49 PM   #22
Green Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: mumma1010
seller
seller

My Mood:

You gals rock, we don't share until birth either, and I won't even share my kiddos names now because I don't want them "stolen". I know, I know... But we give all of our kids 2 middle names and unique ones at that, so there will never be anyone else in the world with their exact name (our last name isn't very common either, which helps). But, I love to read other names LOL. We only really have the next 2 boy names hammered down right now, because that is what we are good at I guess LOL. Our first 2 girl first names were decided on our first date, no joke, and the middles will come from a list of about 30 that are in the running, none of which I have found here or in the "strange/unusual name thread" I started in OT, yet. Maybe some day I will have a daughter or two, we'll see!
Green Decals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:44 AM   #23
abhernandez
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalakiwi7 View Post
wow.... i love all these names so far. So fun!!!!!

well as of today ( could totally change) if it's a boy - charlie after my dad

girl probably Vitallia (after hubby's grandma) or Lucia Hope

my hubby is 1/2 puerto rican half puerivian so we try to stick with names that can be pronounced without changing in either Spanish or English. Uur dd is Frances. I LOVE older names..... I love adelle too but hubby said no. and Ruby, Charlotte, Eden, lots of girl names and seriously only one boy name. ha
Same here. Except my husband is Argentine. And we live in Argentina so we need to use Spanish names/spelling that sound okay in English. Lucia Eliza is def our girls name but for a boy name, Im kinda hating all the Spanish English names. I'm okay with Nico/Nicolas. And Benjamin. The later having been "called" by a friend but she's having a girl so her problem. But I doubt dh is okay with any of those boy names. He wants Ramon but I don't want to mispronounce my own kids name and Ramon starts with a rolled r and I can't consistently do that.

And in real life, I won't share before birth but I don't care about ds. I have a horrifically difficult to spell and pronounce last name and I think that cured me from ever wanting unique names for my kids. I want them to have names that don't have to be spelled out/ pronunciation corrected all the time. Not the top 10 but common enough to prevent them from having their names slaughtered on a daily basis.

Last edited by abhernandez; 07-08-2012 at 07:56 AM.
abhernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:02 AM   #24
abhernandez
Registered Users

Just wanted to add... Luca. I LOVE the name Luca but my bro in law named his cat luca. I want to punch him.

Last edited by abhernandez; 07-08-2012 at 08:04 AM.
abhernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:17 AM   #25
lisha622
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhernandez View Post
And in real life, I won't share before birth but I don't care about ds. I have a horrifically difficult to spell and pronounce last name and I think that cured me from ever wanting unique names for my kids. I want them to have names that don't have to be spelled out/ pronunciation corrected all the time. Not the top 10 but common enough to prevent them from having their names slaughtered on a daily basis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhernandez View Post
Just wanted to add... Luca. I LOVE the name Luca but my bro in law named his cat luca. I want to punch him.
My first name was slaughtered often too, so I really want names for my kids that are easy to pronounce. I know the "new" thing is to choose common names and give a unique spelling, but I'm partial to the normal (American) spellings- I think because I'm an English/grammar fanatic. I've also just had to come to admit that I really tend to like more popular names, and DH doesn't like long names or ones that are hard to pronounce.

I have a friend whose son is named Luca. She's Swiss. She has a Lina and a Luca, and I love when she says their names. Also, we named DD Sophie, and my aunt's dog is Sophie. People in my family gave us a hard time at first, but I didn't care. I told them they shouldn't have named their dog a human name, haha.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:32 PM   #26
PinkInk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

As far as not telling because you dont want people to steal, I dont see any hope in that when it comes to a name being popular. Both of my super unique at the time names, chosen because of very personal meanings over 10 years ago, Milo & Lyla, have exploded in popularity despite only family knowing. Names just take off for some reason, drove me insane for such a long time because I loved that Milo had so much meaning to us and because it became popular, people began assuming it was just because the way it sounded/we liked it and before, people would actually take the time to ask about the time and people in the punk world would immediately get the reference, which was awesome. I will probably always be a tiny bit bitter over the Milo thing, but it's just something you have to get over. Same with Lyla... I just dont keep my names a secret anymore because either they are going to take off or they are not, really, the biggest factor is whether a celebrity has the name or names a child that, even if people deny it, it puts the name out there and people become comfortable with the sound of the name. Celebrities have used both Milo & Lyla somewhat recently.

I mean, take my boy name, Everett, which started as a girl name, Ever, which I chose fooooorever ago! Now one of my good friends is considering Everest (Ever) for their girl. That would have never happened... 6 or 7 years ago... but somehow it just got out there. I raised dogs and livestock and used a lot of names 10, 12, 14 years ago that exploded in popularity, Caden, Brenna, Brynn, Sophia... how do you explain that? It's all so weird, and nothing you can do about it... just have to let go of the unique thing and focus on the meaning because if it's a great name it will spread like wildfire no matter what.

Birth Boot Camp Certified Childbirth Educator training couples in natural childbirth.

I blog at In Pink Ink
PinkInk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:45 PM   #27
lisha622
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkInk View Post
As far as not telling because you dont want people to steal, I dont see any hope in that when it comes to a name being popular. Both of my super unique at the time names, chosen because of very personal meanings over 10 years ago, Milo & Lyla, have exploded in popularity despite only family knowing. Names just take off for some reason, drove me insane for such a long time because I loved that Milo had so much meaning to us and because it became popular, people began assuming it was just because the way it sounded/we liked it and before, people would actually take the time to ask about the time and people in the punk world would immediately get the reference, which was awesome. I will probably always be a tiny bit bitter over the Milo thing, but it's just something you have to get over. Same with Lyla... I just dont keep my names a secret anymore because either they are going to take off or they are not, really, the biggest factor is whether a celebrity has the name or names a child that, even if people deny it, it puts the name out there and people become comfortable with the sound of the name. Celebrities have used both Milo & Lyla somewhat recently.

I mean, take my boy name, Everett, which started as a girl name, Ever, which I chose fooooorever ago! Now one of my good friends is considering Everest (Ever) for their girl. That would have never happened... 6 or 7 years ago... but somehow it just got out there. I raised dogs and livestock and used a lot of names 10, 12, 14 years ago that exploded in popularity, Caden, Brenna, Brynn, Sophia... how do you explain that? It's all so weird, and nothing you can do about it... just have to let go of the unique thing and focus on the meaning because if it's a great name it will spread like wildfire no matter what.
I thought I MADE UP the name Kaden in middle school... swore I'd name my son that... now it's ridiculously popular.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:19 PM   #28
sweetestday
Registered Users

My Mood:

I don't like naming our babies popular names, but it's happened twice out of 4! My oldest is William... I never would have thought it is as popular as it is. We call him Will. My youngest is Noah. I am even more shocked that his is #5 for last year, which is when he was born. Someone told me it was because of the movie The Notebook... which I never even saw.
Oh, well... unless there's a movie or book with my other 2 names, I doubt they will ever be popular. Friederich and Reuben are my two middle sons.
For the next babe, I'm thinking Caroline Zoe (without the long E sound). It is the names of my husband's and my great grandmas. For a boy, I'm not so sure. We like naming after family or good friends, and are running out of boy names. There was a wonderful family friend that died when I was a teen. His name was Laurel Macalili. Everyone called him Mac. I figured maybe a Mac name for a boy, or Laurel for a girl would be neat. Macaulay, which means Son of Righteousness, and sounds close to Macalili.
sweetestday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:43 PM   #29
Green Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: mumma1010
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetestday View Post
Macaulay, which means Son of Righteousness, and sounds close to Macalili.
I love that!

When I Google one of our girl names, nothing comes up for it except for DH's old WoW stuff (can I punch him for that?). If I shared it here, then it would come up in the Google search too. Yet, it isn't far-out, phonetically different, or spelled funny. If I said it to a random stranger, they would be able to guess the spelling correctly at least 50 percent of the time (which is better than my son's first name which is now popular but not yet on the top 100 list) and if a random English-native person were to read it, they would pronounce it correctly about 90% of the time. One of my youngest son's names is literally as popular as the name Microsoft, not spelled funny or anything, and yet we have to spell it to 2/3 people for them to get it right. This particular girl name, on the other hand, is a rare gem I think ;-) I mean, honestly, who can Google their first name, if it appears in several baby name books, and get less than 10 responses?
Green Decals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:49 AM   #30
rachaeljohnson
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

cori-yes, with loralei we had the same thing...thought it was unique now i hear it everywhere...now michael i knew was popular but it's actually dropping on the charts and he's a 3rd which helps.
~MY BLOG~

rachaeljohnson is offline   Reply With Quote