Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-06-2012, 03:17 PM   #1
L J
Gazelle Intense
seller
seller

Talk to me about play food

For Christmas this year, I have talked my son's dad into going in halves with me on a set of play stands. The ones I picked out have a removable sink and stove top.

So, I talked my parents into buying some basic play food and pots and pans. Yes, I know its only July, but I am a planner.

Anyway, I am overwhelmed looking at all of the many play food options!

For those of you that already have a lot of play food, what are your kids' favorites? What do they enjoy the most? What are their ages? What did you buy knowing they would just love that is in the corner being ignored?

Advertisement

L J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:51 PM   #2
Hands&Fire Pottery
Registered Users
Formerly: hello2000
seller

My Mood:
Re: Talk to me about play food

We have a lot of the Melissa and Doug wooden sets, also grandparent gifted. I think the fruits and veggies, the ice cream, and the cake set gets used the most here. The pantry/fridge products, and the pizza set get used a little less. Some of it does show a little wear from chipping paint, and if your kids like to get it wet/mouth it, it is not so great. Generally though it is well liked and working well. I kind of wish we had a little less as I think it would display/organize/store better. We do have some felt food, but it picks up dirt from the floor pretty easily- we have hardwood- might not be as much of an issue with carpet. We also have the M&D wooden red pots which are okay. They don't hold much of the other foods, but I guess that is maybe the nature of the beast with all of it being small sized. We got some metal mixing bowls cheap at a thrift store that hold a little more and maybe get more use. The shopping cart also gets a ton of use- probably more than the kitchen set really.

Last edited by Hands&Fire Pottery; 07-06-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Hands&Fire Pottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:53 PM   #3
drunkenmonkeysmommy1
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Roserob is great for felt food. She made both of my sons a McDonald's happy meal that they love along with a few meals.
They love anything they can put in a pan and then assemble.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:12 PM   #4
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
DD has SOOO much play food, at least a couple of all the major types: plastic, hardwood, felt, stuffies...

She loves: bottles with removable lids, M&D Sushi (she can use chopsticks already at 2yo from playing with this set), plastic "entrees" like pasta/pizza/eggs that fit in her toy pan set nicely, tea set, baby bottles/jars for her dolls.

She never got into the $$ Under The Nile fruits and veggies set, nor the Haba hardwood veggies.

We got 80% of her play food at the thrift store for almost nothing, and the 20% of more pricey stuff hardly gets played with - go figure!
Old 07-06-2012, 05:24 PM   #5
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I didn't actually buy any - but they got some cloth play food for Christmas one year and we just got a bunch of plastic play food from someone on freecycle. They love it all.

They also use simple white cloth nursing pads as pancakes.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:26 PM   #6
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
A co-op I belong to ran one for Iwako Japanese erasers and I purchased the vegetable assortment. The veggies are cool, like the corn comes out of the husk and so do the peas... I always thought I'd get my daughter some highfalutin wool food but she's been so happy and satisfied with the erasers that I just let it be.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:27 PM   #7
moonlitmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
We got a bunch of hand- me- down plastic food and dishes. Then we bought some M & D foods. It all gets played with by DS and DD. but our one awesome purchase was a M and D set for cutting foods up and comes with two wooden 'knives'. It's by far the kids' favorite.
moonlitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:42 PM   #8
TypeAMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Di**ae
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by L J View Post
Yes, I know its only July, but I am a planner.
Go you! I've found the best stuff by planning ahead and keeping my eyes peeled at thrift stores and yard sales well before we've needed stuff.

What we've tried:
M&D cloth picnic basket w/ foods: great for baby stage, but gets much less use now that LO is 2yo
Cooking w/ Kids/Delicious Boutique metal pots and pans: these rock. large set w/ great scale and nice, deep stockpot.
Alex toys version of above pots & pans: more completer pieces, but no big stockpot (good for bigger play food), so returned
M&D cutting food box: great range of breads and veggies and work well. had something break b/c of a defect and M&D mailed me a replacement
Kidoozie garden fresh fruits and veggies: plastic foods to cut and peel. we love these and they get a lot of use
hand me down play food: hit or miss, but we prefer the open ended play stuff rather than the complete entrees. like we have a finished pizza and I think it'd get more use if my LO could build the pizza herself
small boxes that I've filled w/ cardboard and taped up for stability: get some use, would get more use if basic ingredient rather than finished products (think granola bars). these have been great for playing store, though
small plastic spice jars taped shut: my LO LOVES these and adds seasoning to everything. the one my husband accidentally taped up with some remaining spice in it seems to be especially liked b/c of the shaky noise it makes
Green toys tea set: this was a birthday money splurge, but these are great quality and they can be thrown in the dishwasher so my daughter can use them w/ her real meals sometimes which makes her super happy

Can you tell I loved setting up a play kitchen for my daughter and love to play w/ it w/ her?!
Slave to my
TypeAMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:27 AM   #9
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlitmama View Post
We got a bunch of hand- me- down plastic food and dishes. Then we bought some M & D foods. It all gets played with by DS and DD. but our one awesome purchase was a M and D set for cutting foods up and comes with two wooden 'knives'. It's by far the kids' favorite.
Oh yeah! We have the same one and they love it. Actually my husband and I love it too. Lol I think ours only came with one wooden "knife" though.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:32 AM   #10
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

Melissa and Doug!! The "sliceable" stuff, the pizza set, the ice cream parlor set, and then the felt sandwich set are all huge favorites with DS. But he likes the cheapo plastic stuff too.

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote