Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-05-2012, 10:58 AM   #1
luvthefluff
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
should i be trying more?

I have a 2 year old in diapers still (boy) and baby due in 6 weeks. My entire family is hounding me that my son is not potty trained, and i dont have much more time to have him potty trained before baby comes. they are all saying i wont want 2 in diapers. none of them understand why i use cloth diapers in the first place...very unsupportive. I try to explain to them that i introduce the potty to ds all the time (try undies) and he always just goes potty on the floor no matter how often i put him on the potty. He just doesnt seem interested. i am against forcing a toddler to potty train. My oldest DD i let her do it in her own time and she was potty trained on her 3rd birthday FULLY! i understand they are my children and its my choice of how to do things, but we are a very close nit family and because i am the youngest mother they sometimes make me question my own judgment my son JUST turned 2 in may. he is very smart and has a vocabulary of a 4 year old which is why they think he should be potty training. i have explained to them he and the baby each have their own diaper stash and i obviously do not buy sposies so him being in diapers for alittle while longer till he is ready is not really setting us back any...any advice ladies?

Advertisement

Old 07-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #2
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:
Re: should i be trying more?

My son will be three when the baby is born. I am getting the same pressure but I firmly believe there are three things you can't force a child to do, eat, sleep and pee on command. I refuse to stress myself out while pregnant over it. He'll potty train eventually and 2 in diapers is not THAT big of a deal!
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:06 AM   #3
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would wait. After the baby comes, he will likely regress anyway. No sense stressing yourself out over it now. DS1 was 2.5, DS2 is 2.5 now and just about trained. They'll do it when they're ready
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:08 AM   #4
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would wait too. DD was ready and PL'd at 2. DS is 3.25 and still not all the way there. The last thing you want is a puddle while you are tied up BFing the new baby.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:46 AM   #5
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
Id wait. If he actually starts using the potty soon he'll more then like regress when baby gets here. I have found it to be much easier to tell them the what/how/why of it all, give a small potty and potty seat, and leave them be. Dd1 wanted nothing! nothing, to do with the potty until dd2 was about a month old(she was 2yrs5mos). Guess she wanted some of my attention lol Id do a happy dance every time she told me she went. She woke up 1 morning and decided that day was the day-the end. You do not need the stress of trying to force a child to use the potty-especially now that you are 8months pregnant and will soon have a toddler and a newborn on your hands.

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:14 PM   #6
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

I would wait. If he's showing signs, maybe show him the potty, make it accessible, but just let him do what he wants. My son didn't potty train until he was 3.5, but when he did, it was in 3 days.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:18 PM   #7
travelmama24
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with the regression thoughts. I worked in daycare for a bit and remember a 3 yr old who PL'd before her little brother arrived. Shortly after he was born, she started peeing everywhere but in the potty. Her parents refused to go back to diapers so we spent a good part of the day cleaning up "accidents". I put the word in quotes because she would squat, scowl and yell at us and pee as we were trying to talk her into the potty. I left a few months later and the "accidents" were still happening.

As you know mama, all kiddos PL in their own time. I know some who were fully PL'd by their 2nd b-day and some who were still PL'ing as they neared 4. I'm sorry you're not getting the support you need from your family
travelmama24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:39 PM   #8
Katie180
Registered Users
seller

I agree with waiting! I waited with both of my older kids and they trained really fast. Both were 3 or older. I have friends that started before their child was ready and the PL took more than a year with a lot of power struggles and accidents! I think I remember our Ped. mentioning that boys are sometimes ready later too.
Katie180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:06 PM   #9
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ignore them as best you can. Most kids are not ready to PT fully at that age, so don't waste your time and energy 'fighting' with him to do it if he doesn't want to. I firmly believe that it's much easier to wait until they are developmentally ready than to nag them, drag them to the potty kicking and screaming, and clean up accidents afterwards.

Two in diapers isn't much more work than one, in my experience.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:21 PM   #10
doodah
Registered Users
seller

I would never start potty train right before a new baby is born. even if a child is ready, I think it would be better to wait until all is settled and you can provide the support and consistency your son needs at this time.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote