Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-06-2012, 09:22 PM   #1
luckyducky77
Registered Users
seller

Maia's birth

Sorry for the delay. I've been snoozing off and on today. So here's how she came into the world. At 2:30 am on 7/5/12 I was woken up by a strong contraction that felt like a menstrual cramp. Had another one and decided to get up and pee. I had some bloody show so that excited me. As I was climbing back into bed, felt a little leak of fluid. I thought i broke my water. So we lined the bed with a diaper changing pad and towels and I went back to sleep. Or tried to. The contractions were anywhere from 5-15 min apart but definitely stronger. Got out of bed at 5 since it was getting uncomfortable in bed. Started timing them and they quickly dropped down to every 3-5 min. After eating breakfast and paying bills, they got to every 2 min and since we didn't want that much excitement, decided to head in. I was 4 cm/80%/-3. After all the usual admit stuff, got into the jacuzzi for an hour. It actually made my contractions stronger and more painful. Not the effect I was looking for. Turns out my cousin had the same experience with her labors. About 5-6 hrs later, I was rechecked but still only 4-5 cm so the doctor, with my permission, did an arom. Tons of clear fluid came pouring out. I swear I lost 10lbs from that alone! The contractions got stronger and eventually got to 8 cm...where I stalled out yet again. The first 2 hrs weren't too bad. The hypnobirthing breathing was helping but then she dropped really low into my pelvis and every contraction was giving me the strong urge to push. Unfortunately I wasn't changing at all and the breathing was not working as well on the really strong contractions. Tried every position possible but each one had downsides and pluses. Sitting up on the ball was nice for my back but I was getting contractions every minute, stacked up on each other. In between, my uterus was not relaxing at all, especially the lower section. I was actually getting dizzy and lightheaded from that continuous intense pain so I laid down. That helped calm the frequency down but made my back hurt more. We managed to get me back into the jacuzzi but that again intensified the contractions in strength and frequency though they didn't last as long. At one point it felt and had looked like she was going to come out so they quickly grabbed the bed and wheeled me back to my room. Still at 8 cm so still no pushing allowed. This intense period lasted for 3 hrs where I had the constant urge to push but couldn't because it would damage my cervix. After 5 total hours at 8 cm, 3 of severe pain that the breathing was helping maybe 25% of the time, decided to get the epidural in the hopes that I'll relax and this will allow the cervix to finish to 10 cm and we could still get a vaginal delivery out of it. The epidural did help me relax but didn't change the dilation much so they added pitocin. Due to her heart rate pattern, they couldn't increase it much and I just never made it past 8-9 cm for another 2 hrs. At that point, she started having late decelerations and was showing signs that she was not tolerating the labor. I tried sitting upright hoping that would get me to 10 but that made her heart rate drop to the 90s. So laid back down and we prepped for the or. Certainly not the route of delivery I was hoping for but clearly was going to be the safest and effective route. I knew I couldn't go on when I decided to get the epidural and she couldn't go on with the pitocin and my body was not dilating. She was actually LOA when they removed her from me so who knows what held back my cervical dilation. We all thought for sure she was OP or maybe transverse and that's why it wasn't progressing but nope! She came out crying and has a full head of dark brown hair. We think her eyes are a gray blue color at the moment. She pooped and peed right after being pulled out of me. Our nurse was allowed to take pictures of them pulling her out, which was great of the OBs doing the section (my doctor and another one in the practice). She weighed 8 lbs 10 oz and was 21 inches long. When we went to recovery, I got to have skin to skin time with her and she immediately started crawling to my left breast so they latched her on and she fed for 30 min. Then they switched her to my right breast and she went for another 30 min. Then they put her in the middle of my chest but she crawled back over to my left breast so they put her back on and she went for another 30 min! And again, we put her I. The middle and she again started moving to my right breast. The girl knows what she wants! She's continued to do well with latching on. And is a champion pooper. She's had 6 poopy diapers in the short time since her birth this morning! And big poops at that! We have been sleeping off and on all day. I get so sleepy when she feeds as well as when she's snoozing on me. Suffice it to say, we're madly in love with this little girl and even though I didn't get my natural vaginal birth, I'm still very happy and proud of how far I did get.

Advertisement

luckyducky77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:45 PM   #2
ecomother
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Maia's birth

Congratulations on your new baby girl! I love her name too, so beautiful! Although you didn't get the vaginal birth you had hoped for it sounds like you are at peace with how things went and in the end it all worked out okay and your and baby are happy and healthy
Old 07-08-2012, 04:13 AM   #3
Mamata3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Congrats mama
Old 07-08-2012, 06:07 AM   #4
philenabean
Registered Users

Congratulations! Hope you heal quickly. Can't wait to see a pic
philenabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:19 AM   #5
srpettitt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Congrats! Sounds like you've got a nursing champ on your hands! Heal up quickly, mama!
Old 07-09-2012, 02:00 PM   #6
SqueakersMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just read this - congrats!!
Old 07-09-2012, 02:00 PM   #7
SqueakersMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just read this - congrats!!
Old 07-11-2012, 07:02 PM   #8
remrath
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

That's wonderful! You did so great! Congrats!
Wife to Nick, 10 years now. Mom to Lydia (c/s) 6/6/07, Arwen (HBAC) 6/3/09, Silas (HBAC) 7/2/12 and Archer HBAC 10/15/14. Jesus loving, CDing, BFing, non vaxing , homeschooling SAHM who loves my new community is Spring Hill, TN
remrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:34 PM   #9
luckyducky77
Registered Users
seller

Sleeping in her bouncer...or as I like to call it, charging up for tonight's cluster feed-a-thon.

luckyducky77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:13 PM   #10
philenabean
Registered Users

She is beautiful!!!
philenabean is offline   Reply With Quote