Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-06-2012, 11:04 PM   #1
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

Cloth diapers and FSA

I remember reading something about being able to use funds from a flexible spending account FSA for cloth diapers. Has anyone done this?

I think it only works if you have a prescription from a doctor that it would be used for treatment. I imagine my doctor would be willing to do this, most doctors are fairly liberal about that sort of thing (we're in a crunchy city).

I'm thinking this might be worth pursing at the end of the year if we haven't used up the rest of the funds. So far we've spent $35 of our $500... and I would hate for that money to go to waste if we don't end up needing it for anything else.

Has anyone else done this? Would anyone else have moral qualms if you don't technically have a disease you're treating? We do have some recurring redness, but we honestly haven't used sposies in over a year.

Advertisement

mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:17 PM   #2
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I have never heard of this. I'm an accountant but I am not a tax accountant. I'm pretty sure this is incorrect. Deductible medical expenses are pretty strict and I can't imagine cloth diapers qualifying, unfortunately. Now that is not to say that someone hasn't done this. Anyone can try it but you would face penalties if audited if it is determined to not be deductible.

And yes, I would have ethical qualms with doing this, personally.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:18 PM   #3
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Cloth diapers and FSA

I used mine to buy a breast pump last year. (My OB didn't have a problem writing me a script while I was pregnant.) I didn't think about diapers! But the reason many people use cloth is because of sensitive skin. I would have done this if I knew about it!

(* We have a Health Savings Account now and not an FSA. It is still tax free BUT has the benefit of you don't lose the $$ at the end of the year AND you can adjust the amount you put into it through out the year if needed. )

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:21 PM   #4
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

(I think the "diapers" that would be deductible would be for older special needs children and adults. Those are considered medical expenses and covered by some insurance/medicare. I would call to verify before I made a purchase)

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:49 PM   #5
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

http://realdiaperevents.org/archives...-cloth-diapers

I think this is the article I read about it a while ago. Looks like it was from 2009.
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:56 PM   #6
Nimyue
Registered Users
seller

It sounds completely reasonable, legal, and not morally wrong if your LO has a disposable allergy. If your LO has a medical issue with disposables, then medically you must use cloth. However, this would need to be true and would need a doctor's verification.

On a side note, cloth should have tax benefits since it's better for the environment, our babies, etc etc... it's too bad they're not a deductible cost anyway, well something to write to the congressman about!
Nimyue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:30 AM   #7
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Pump should be covered on insurance most of the time I was told but I had a good working one so no need from nurse at hospital for new plus I got $ from helping hands milk bank that supports susan g komen since I donated 1600 & some & total just under 2000 oz of milk.
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:47 AM   #8
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdesonia
(I think the "diapers" that would be deductible would be for older special needs children and adults. Those are considered medical expenses and covered by some insurance/medicare. I would call to verify before I made a purchase)
Yes!!! I believe they are considered medical equipment for those with special needs.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote