Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-07-2012, 08:59 PM   #1
pharmmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Viola Patrice

Well, that was an interesting day! We decided to go to the Zoo on July 4th for a few hours. I was hoping the walking would encourage labor. On the 3rd I had my appt and I was 3cm and 50% so I knew I was close. We got back from the zoo, got the kids down for a nap and about an hour after that I had good, regular contractions. Waited a few hours to make sure that they were sticking, then dropped the kids off at my SIL's and we headed to the hospital. They checked me and I was having regular contractions on the monitor but I was only 4cm and still at 50%. I walked for a few hours and guess what! No change. Grrr. So they sent me home. We got home about 10:30pm, just in time to catch the fireworks. I was still having regular contractions, but they were becoming less frequent, and I was able to get to bed.

I woke up at 3am with a really strong contraction and my water broke right there in bed. It must have been since I was laying on my side, but I had no idea there was that much in there! I haven't gotten out of bed that fast in months DH woke up when I hurtled out of bed, but I told him to go back to sleep. My previous labors were 14 and 16 hours, so I figured there was plenty of time. Thankfully, the kids were still at SILs house. My contractions actually completely stopped for almost an hour before restarting. At about 5am I decided I should get DH up and head back in. My contractions were already going really good so I was hopeful that this labor was moving along at a good clip and I didn't have another 12 hours or so to go.

Hospital is about 30 minutes away, so it was just after 6 when we got there. I had been handling labor well until about halfway there. My contractions were so intense that I was being really loud (both vocalizing and telling DH to stop speeding). I was actually starting to feel pushy, which was getting me worried. They took us right in and checked me. My jaw would have dropped if I wasn't in so much pain. I was 100% effaced, but still only at 4cm. As much as I wanted a drug free labor, I knew that if I was only at a 4 and in that much pain I was going to be too exhausted to push by the time I got to 10. It felt like hours, but they had my epidural in at 6:40. The doc gave me 2 bolus doses because of how much I was crying. I remember hearing a conversation about an OR and that he might have to come back. I can remember sobbing to please not skip me.

As soon as the epidural was in they laid me down to check where I was at. I was now 10cm. OMG no wonder why I was in agony. I went from 4cm to delivered in 45 minutes. I had the baby pushed out before the epidural had started to do anything other then make my toes a little tingly. They had already called my OB, but the house OB had me delivered long before mine could get there. I'm still kind of in shock from the whole thing. Technically I still had my drug free delivery though

Viola officially arrived at 6:55am and was 8lb5oz 19in. We had skin to skin in L&D, and lots of kangaroo in postpartum. She latched on great and is eating a ton. Viola (pronounced like you're saying violet with an -a instead of an -et) is a good baby so far. She's up a lot at night cluster feeding, but so be it. It's good to be home. I'll add pics soon.

Advertisement

Pharmacist, wife to a nerdy chemist, and proud mama to Leta (12/2006), Derek (4/2009) and Viola (7/2012). Now if only I could figure out a way to quit my job and still pay my student loans all would be well with the world.
pharmmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:04 PM   #2
mabelinoad
Registered Users
Formerly: Mabelino
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Viola Patrice

wow!! Awesome "natural" birth Guess your body just needed to get over that 4cm hump, then you were ready to go!! Congrats!
Old 07-07-2012, 09:53 PM   #3
Buffy1023
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Wow! Awesome birth mama! Hope you are enjoying all your cuddles

http://swagbucks.com/refer/MamaLiz8056 join now and see what you can earn!
Buffy1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:51 PM   #4
erkelly
Registered Users
seller
seller

Congrats mama, and welcome to the world Viola!!
Old 07-08-2012, 04:08 AM   #5
Mamata3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Congrats mama
Old 07-08-2012, 06:08 AM   #6
philenabean
Registered Users

Congratulations! What a story
philenabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:22 AM   #7
melyndie
Registered Users
seller

Wow, 4 to 10 so fast! Way to go for doing it drug free! Lol
Old 07-08-2012, 08:05 AM   #8
jnk10046
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wonderful story! Congrats on you new baby girl!
Old 07-08-2012, 08:43 AM   #9
Zanne
Registered Users

My Mood:
Wow. Congrats mama!
Old 07-08-2012, 10:17 AM   #10
srpettitt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood: