Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-08-2012, 04:47 AM   #1
crunch!910
Registered Users

At what age do you stop calling child a "baby"?

I'm always surprised when people say 1-3 year olds are still babies. Me personally, after their first birthday they are a toddler, not a baby. So, when do you stop seeing a child as a baby? 12 months, 18 months, 2 yrs, older?

Advertisement

Old 07-08-2012, 04:50 AM   #2
spencerrn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: At what age do you stop calling child a "baby"?

Our kids are babies until they potty train around 2 1/2. We make a big deal about not being a baby anymore because they go in the potty now. This is just our milestone. I also refer to my kids ages in months until around this time.
spencerrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:58 AM   #3
knodceo
Registered Users
seller

When they start walking. My daughter was no longer a baby at 9 months when she was walking and talking. My son just started walking at 14 months and is now a big kid. (he's still not a great talker)
knodceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:28 AM   #4
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think around 18 months? Mine were both talking in full sentences by then but were pretty small in size. Many people thought they were younger than they were based on size but astounded when they opened their mouths, haha. I still think 12-18 monthish is a baby, for me, anyway.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:29 AM   #5
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

I generally call anything 12 months-3 a toddler. But, I refer to my own 2 year old as a baby in certain contexts. I have 5 girls, 3 school age and 2 "babies" (really a toddler and baby). But it is easy to refer to the school-agers as "the girls" and the toddler and baby as "the babies". Like, "can you tell the girls to get dressed", or "can you get the babies dressed". I don't actually THINK she's a baby, or refer to other people's 2 year olds as babies, it's just the dynamic. However, she is becoming more of one of "the girls". If I yell "girls!" she will say "yes?" and come running like her big sisters So, she thinks she's definitely one of "the girls" hehe.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:40 AM   #6
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

My mind tends to naturally make the progression from "baby" to "toddler" sometimes between 12months and 18 months.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:57 AM   #7
alsatia23
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

12 months here! Once they have that first birthday they aren't a "baby" anymore. My friend still calls her two year old "baby". She doesn't even use his name.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:32 AM   #8
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think technically any child over a year is a toddler. That said, we tend to call our kids babies till the next child is born around 2.5. I think it's out of habit and because I find baby easier to say than toddler. Also, they are still the baby of the family till the next is born. My toddlers are 27 months and we are trying hard to get out of the habit of calling them babies, but it's a habit.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:13 AM   #9
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I think toddlers are toddling babies. I think of children under 6 as babies. I think that puts me in the minority.

I tell my own children they will be my babies until the day I die. I have heard a woman in her 80s refer to her 60 something daughter as her baby.

Last edited by qsefthuko; 07-08-2012 at 07:14 AM.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:52 AM   #10
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

A say toddler once they are walking. Until then it's baby. Preschooler is 3 and 4, At 5 they are a child.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote