Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-07-2012, 11:22 PM   #1
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

Any advice for a chipped tooth?

What would you do for a child with an adult tooth that chipped? It's the front tooth, think Jim Carry in Dumb & Dumber.

There doesn't appear to be any other injuries, although she has developmental delays and doesn't communicate well - she also hides pain. Is something like this just cosmetic?

It's our friend's daughter... She has state care, and I don't think they would cover it. Any suggestions? Anyone know how much it might cost to fix? If it were your child with an adult front tooth would you fix it even though you can't afford it? I helped them with their finances recently since they've been struggling to stay above water... I know they can't afford this. I'm so heartbroken about this

Advertisement

mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:24 PM   #2
pcjs
Registered Users

Re: Any advice for a chipped tooth?

I would check around to a few dentists and double check as I thought dental was covered. She could try a dental clinic/college clinic or other low cost resources. Personally, I'd at least get it filed down to get it comfortable but I would absolutely get it fixed, especially an adult tooth.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:29 PM   #3
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Medicaid covers dental fully so if they have medicaid it is covered. If it isn't hurting the child and isn't bad I don't know that I would do anything about this. I say this as some one who has chipped front teeth (I played a good bit of street hockey as a preteen). My concern would be that there was damage done that no one knows about and the root is injured. That is something you aren't going to know without having a dentist look at the tooth. The other concern would be if the tooth is jagged it can be painful to rub against though that is rarer with a front tooth. I have a broken back tooth that causes me some discomfort. I would look into coverage and then go visit a dentist to at least have it looked at. If it will be covered I would go ahead and fix it assuming it won't be too traumatic for the child. If there is no coverage I would have it checked out at least (this should be able to be done reasonably, I had Tharen examined for $35, insurance wouldn't pick it up because he wasn't due for a visit) and then decide from there what to do if there is no internal damage.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:33 PM   #4
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

That's a good idea... there are some dental schools here that may be able to help.

I am really skeptical about the state program they are on. My nephew is on the same program and he had recurring problems and abscesses on his teeth. The couldn't really do any tests. The only treatment they would cover was extraction. That's right, at 3 years old they removed his front 4 top teeth. I'm sure they'll ask the state program, but I'm really skeptical they'll do anything.
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:05 AM   #5
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

If it was a healthy tooth that was injured by something OTHER than biting /chewing /malocclusion, it may be covered under MEDICAL insurance, NOT dental.

Example : DD1 'showed' me her new rock a little too enthusiasticly and broke my tooth in a similar way. The dentist filled it back in to make it look normal and my medical covered it. They won't cover a veneer though.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote