Boy- circ'd and on the spectrum 6 5.88%
Boy- circ'd and not on the spectrum 49 48.04%
Boy- circ'd and too young to tell 4 3.92%
Girl- on the spectrum 5 4.90%
Girl- not on the spectrum 29 28.43%
Girl- too young to tell 10 9.80%
Other 3 2.94%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-08-2012, 11:13 AM   #1
~Sherry~
Registered Users
seller

Poll on autism and circumcision

I had a thought the other day and out of curiosity wanted to know some more so I am posting a poll. I keep reading boys are more likely to have autism than girls and I was wondering why that could be (my nephew is on the spectrum).

This is not meant as a debate, so please pick what fits.

Advertisement

~Sherry~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:21 AM   #2
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Poll on autism and circumcision

Unless Jews and others who circumsize for religious reasons have a higher rate of autism I highly doubt there is a connection. I would expect it to be more genetics connected with the y chromosome than circumcision. Although I don't agree with circs in general I don't see the connection.

Personally I think autism is probably caused by many different things and eventually may be separated into different several different diagnosis as more is discovered. Otherwise why would some find such great success with chelation therapy and others see no improvement at all? Some children also see improvement with different diets and again others no improvement. To me this says that they may actually have different diseases with similar symptoms. I could very easily be way off base though.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:30 AM   #3
pcjs
Registered Users

How on earth could there be an connection? No one knows the true cause for autism but I'd go with many other theory's than this one. This makes absolutely no sense!
Old 07-08-2012, 11:33 AM   #4
2peanuts1pumpkin
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I have twins who are intact and have autism, and a baby also intact who is too young to tell, but he doesn't show any of the signs that his brothers did at that age.

ETA: you also have to figure that it isn't common practice at all to circ in Europe, but as far as I know they have the same rates of autism as the US.

Last edited by 2peanuts1pumpkin; 07-08-2012 at 11:35 AM.
2peanuts1pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:43 AM   #5
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
My son is intact and not on the spectrum....my daughter is on the spectrum (2.5) and likely my oldest daughter but we think she was diagnosed incorrectly.

Dr. Baron Cohen actually thinks that the true ratio is 1:2 for spectrum disorders but it is much more difficult to diagnose in girls. Right now it is 1:4 (new stats)
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:22 PM   #6
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I dont think there is a connection. My boys are intact and not on the spectrum.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:46 PM   #7
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2peanuts1pumpkin
I have twins who are intact and have autism, and a baby also intact who is too young to tell, but he doesn't show any of the signs that his brothers did at that age.

ETA: you also have to figure that it isn't common practice at all to circ in Europe, but as far as I know they have the same rates of autism as the US.
I was going to say there would probably be significant differences in autism rates in countries that have an overwhelmingly cut/uncut society.

I don't think there is a connection.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:20 PM   #8
jamieism
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I am curious as to why you think there *would* be a connection? Simply bc it affects more boys than girls? Lots of things affect one gender more than the other, but I am not sure why we don't suggest ear piercing works as a preventative measure to help girls avoid it... Or something. Seems odd to me to link a relatively superficial body alteration with a neurological condition (i mean in the technical sense, mkay? In this context amputating ones pinky toe seems equally superficial - meaning that it has to do with the surface of the body - not minimizing the procedure) .
Old 07-08-2012, 01:34 PM   #9
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieism
I am curious as to why you think there *would* be a connection? Simply bc it affects more boys than girls? Lots of things affect one gender more than the other, but I am not sure why we don't suggest ear piercing works as a preventative measure to help girls avoid it... Or something. Seems odd to me to link a relatively superficial body alteration with a neurological condition (i mean in the technical sense, mkay? In this context amputating ones pinky toe seems equally superficial - meaning that it has to do with the surface of the body - not minimizing the procedure) .
I can understand it from the viewpoint of studies showing circumcision can permanently alter brain chemicals/chemistry. But again, Europe's rates don't vastly differ from ours and they're majority intact.

But I assumed OP just picked one boy/girl difference and asked; not that she was referring to the brain aspect of it.

Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:02 PM   #10
pcjs
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillargh View Post
I can understand it from the viewpoint of studies showing circumcision can permanently alter brain chemicals/chemistry. But again, Europe's rates don't vastly differ from ours and they're majority intact.

But I assumed OP just picked one boy/girl difference and asked; not that she was referring to the brain aspect of it.

That's a huge leap to say circ. alters the brain chemicals/chemistry. The reality is no one knows what causes it and who knows. Personally, I think autism is to broad of a diagnosis and there has to be more to it. I do think some has to do with vac's for some children/families (we vac so I'm not saying this as a scare or to discourage anyone but kids can/do have reactions). I think for others its genetic and for others it could be environmental. We just don't know yet.