Boy- circ'd and on the spectrum 6 5.88%
Boy- circ'd and not on the spectrum 49 48.04%
Boy- circ'd and too young to tell 4 3.92%
Girl- on the spectrum 5 4.90%
Girl- not on the spectrum 29 28.43%
Girl- too young to tell 10 9.80%
Other 3 2.94%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-08-2012, 02:11 PM   #11
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcjs

That's a huge leap to say circ. alters the brain chemicals/chemistry. The reality is no one knows what causes it and who knows. Personally, I think autism is to broad of a diagnosis and there has to be more to it. I do think some has to do with vac's for some children/families (we vac so I'm not saying this as a scare or to discourage anyone but kids can/do have reactions). I think for others its genetic and for others it could be environmental. We just don't know yet.
I was referring to a few studies that observed the altered chemicals (some permanent if I recall correctly). I can't recall if it was observed before and after, during, or that detail of it though. One is commonly cited on blogs (though it is an actual study, not just blog nonsense, it seems to be the go to for most information gathered) and I /think/ it's on drmomma (ETA: I'm too lazy to look it up honestly, but I think it was on there at one point, among other places)? I wouldn't consider it to be conclusive, far from it actually as the studies just aren't there for it yet. Regardless, I never stated I agree with it or don't. Just simply that I could understand that being a cause for question of whether or not circumcision affects autism in terms of the brain-- as opposed to the strictly superficial aspect of it from a PP. I could understand someone thinking that might be a viable link was my point. But as I said earlier, I interpreted the OP as just one of many girl/boy differences observed.

Personally, I think a lot of chemicals in things we use now just aren't tested in all the ways they interact with us and our environments. I wouldn't be surprised if later on something came out like that as one contributing factor :/

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum

Advertisement

Last edited by Hillargh; 07-08-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:14 PM   #12
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Poll on autism and circumcision

I have 3 intact boys an 1 circ'ed. Only one intact boy is on the sectrum, one intact has other issues, and one is too young to know. Circ'ed child is not on spectrum.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:21 PM   #13
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Both not circed, 1 not on the spectrum and 1 is too young to tell. I seriously doubt there is a connection. Boy are also more likely to have Downs Sydrome and such.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:24 PM   #14
Shaunam
Registered Users

I didn't vote. DS is intact and *possibly* on the spectrum. He's 7 1/2 and we will be having him evaluated soon. He has a lot of aspie traits.

I think autism is more often diagnosed in boys because they develop very differently than girls. Personally, I think there need to be different standards for evaluating boys and girls.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:45 PM   #15
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

I can see circ having a minor affect on brain chemistry.. but can't see it causing or being a contributor to causing autism
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:07 PM   #16
VinhThiMom
Vinh Thi Designs
Formerly: chrisnsteph1022
seller
seller

My Mood:

DS is intact, delayed vax (MMR at age 3) and on the spectrum. I don't think either is linked.

VinhThiMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:09 PM   #17
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

While I am adamantly opposed to circumcision, I fail to see any connecting factors between autism and circ'ing.

Last edited by Almacham; 07-09-2012 at 09:45 AM. Reason: editing out personal info
Almacham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:40 PM   #18
~Sherry~
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillargh View Post
I can understand it from the viewpoint of studies showing circumcision can permanently alter brain chemicals/chemistry. But again, Europe's rates don't vastly differ from ours and they're majority intact.

But I assumed OP just picked one boy/girl difference and asked; not that she was referring to the brain aspect of it.

That's what I've read, that it can effect the brain. Though I don't know any girls with autism, and the only boy I know is circ'ed and vax'd (in real life for both). I'm definitely not saying either of those cause it. It was really just a question out of curiosity.

And I don't know if this is the article a PP was referring to- http://www.drmomma.org/2009/10/mri-s...tered.html?m=1

Eta- there is also this about circ'ing and brain damage- http://www.cirp.org/library/psych/brain_damage/

Last edited by ~Sherry~; 07-08-2012 at 04:47 PM.
~Sherry~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:56 PM   #19
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Old 07-08-2012, 05:14 PM   #20
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Sherry~

That's what I've read, that it can effect the brain. Though I don't know any girls with autism, and the only boy I know is circ'ed and vax'd (in real life for both). I'm definitely not saying either of those cause it. It was really just a question out of curiosity.

And I don't know if this is the article a PP was referring to- http://www.drmomma.org/2009/10/mri-studies-brain-permanently-altered.html?m=1

Eta- there is also this about circ'ing and brain damage- http://www.cirp.org/library/psych/brain_damage/
Hadn't seen the 2nd but the 1st is the one I was referring to that floats around most commonly. That's really the only way I could even /possibly/ see it relating to autism. And even then, I don't know if the parts of the brain affected would have any control over autistic issues. Beyond that (and it's far from conclusive as I said, since there just hasn't been enough study on it; to convince me of circ'ing being the sole cause anyway, and I'm anti-RIC) I wouldn't see the procedure or lack there of having bearing on autism. I do wish there were more breakthroughs on autism it's such a prominent thing now, and it bothers me there isn't more scientific evidence of the causes.

Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote