Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-08-2012, 03:05 PM   #1
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

Violent Video Games?

Ok, so dh is a "gamer" (xbox). He is in a clan, plays in tournaments, blah blah blah. They mostly play Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3. I HATE it. But anyway...

SOOO the IL's just bought dh's son (my step son) Modern Warfare 3. WTH are they thinking???????? IMO it is completely inappropriate for a 7 year old to be playing that game. The whole game is about killing people. They also got him a play gun. He had it out in front of the girls and I was "the bad guy" and had to tell him "I'm sorry, but we don't allow the girls to play with pretend guns, so please put that away". Of course then my 2 year old found it and was pretend shooting people. Obviously I took it away from her. I know the il's got it bc it's dh "thing" and so they thought dh and his son could play it on xbox live together.

Am I crazy or is letting a child play that game totally wrong? I told dh that I completely disagree with him having that game, and I don't even like HIM (dh) playing that game, but unfortunately, I am not step ds's mom, so I have no real say in it, and dh is an adult, so really don't have say in him playing it either. UGHHHHHHHHHHHH

So, do you allow your kids to play violent video games?

Advertisement

Old 07-08-2012, 03:19 PM   #2
mama2myangels09
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Violent Video Games?

No it should not be bought for a 7 year old, my 9 year old has played it at his grandparents cause his older half brother has it and I had a fit cause he should not be playing it.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:23 PM   #3
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2myangels09 View Post
No it should not be bought for a 7 year old, my 9 year old has played it at his grandparents cause his older half brother has it and I had a fit cause he should not be playing it.
Glad you agree lol!

We got him a Tony Hawk game, with the skateboard. THAT seems appropriate. But Ds called dh alllll excited that "yaya got me modern warfare 3!". I wonder what his mom will think? She probably won't care either

ETA: I am pretty laid back most of the time as far as the kids go. My only "no's" are guns, violence, and hooker dolls aka Bratz and the like LOL.

Last edited by 5PrincessMommy; 07-08-2012 at 03:25 PM.
5PrincessMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:30 PM   #4
firstimemommy44
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
No way would I buy or let a 7 yo play that game our watch it being played.....I'd play it myself though

My swagbucks http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/ellen44
firstimemommy44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:10 PM   #5
VinhThiMom
Vinh Thi Designs
Formerly: chrisnsteph1022
seller
seller

My Mood:

Um, no. Not only would that not be allowed in my home, but DH would not be allowed to play it with the kids in the room. Heck, I turned off the Transformers movie that was on TV because I felt it was too old for DS (6yo). I'm kinda strict about TV/games, though.

VinhThiMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:41 PM   #6
lemurmommies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
That wouldn't be okay with me at all. DS plays some games on our Wii, but they are all kids' games like Mario Kart or BoomBlox.
lemurmommies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:47 PM   #7
ChocoMeijin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Definitely not appropriate. Games have a rating system like movies. Call of duty is rated M for matrue which is 17+. here in canada it's actually illegal for a minor to buy an M game without ID or a parent. It lists on the back of the game what is in it (like blood, gore, nudity, etc.).

Ask your ILs and DH if they would take your son to a rated R movie, because that's what they just game him! Like letting him watch Band of Brothers or somethig :P

Last edited by ChocoMeijin; 07-08-2012 at 06:48 PM.
ChocoMeijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:55 PM   #8
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoMeijin View Post
Definitely not appropriate. Games have a rating system like movies. Call of duty is rated M for matrue which is 17+. here in canada it's actually illegal for a minor to buy an M game without ID or a parent. It lists on the back of the game what is in it (like blood, gore, nudity, etc.).

Ask your ILs and DH if they would take your son to a rated R movie, because that's what they just game him! Like letting him watch Band of Brothers or somethig :P
i don't know what band of brothers is, but i take it it's bad lol. MY IL's have played the game before, so they know exactly what they got him. But, they get him whatever he wants b/c MIL thinks its sweet he wants to be like daddy. I think its all hogwash and that the game has no good influence on a 7 year old. I made my point to dh, but I feel so stuck in this. Nothing I can do, not my kid. If it was one of the girls, he knows darn well my foot would be down, b/c the girls are not allowed to play that. They have specific games that they are allowed to play (like the disnery kinnect one). Now, dh wouldn't buy it for him, but since the IL's did, he won't tell them to take it back, especially not after his son called all excited about it. So frustrating!
Old 07-08-2012, 06:56 PM   #9
AbbieJack
Registered Users
seller
seller

I agree with you ! It is totally inappropriate for a 7 year old.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:44 PM   #10
novemberlily
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Pretty sure my opinion is not popular here, but I wouldn't have an issue with it.
novemberlily is offline   Reply With Quote