Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-09-2012, 05:45 PM   #21
luvthefluff
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Violent Video Games?

we have a wii..mainly for netflix purposes lol that has the original mario on it but thats about it. im not sure i will allow ds (age2) play violent kinds of games when hes older. I dont know that i will like any regular game playing going on. my nephews play their xbox daily for hours and become like in a trance..and if they are interrupted at all they literally freak out. my older nephew has broken controllers over loosing, and thinks the world is ending when video games are restricted for punishment. i dont ever want that to be my kids...

Advertisement

Old 07-09-2012, 06:07 PM   #22
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:
Nope. DH and I are both gamers and enjoy action flicks but screen carefully what our girls can see, let alone play. DD1 is limited to her two kids games and a few other games like wii sports.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:20 PM   #23
shanree
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by novemberlily View Post
Pretty sure my opinion is not popular here, but I wouldn't have an issue with it.
Me either.... funny I ran across this thread just now because DH and 3 of my boys are sitting here playing MW3 right now. I only allow multiplayer mode and not campaign mode though because of language. The language in campaign mode is my only real concern. The gameplay part of it is not all the bad IMO. I figure that most or all of my boys will join the military one day.... They have learned all about different guns etc on this game. I don't like games that are gory and slaughter people for no apparent reason, but war games seem different to me. I think images they show in the news of real war gruesomeness in Iraq and Afghanistan is far worse than this animated game.
JESUS LOVING Wife to Les, Full-Time Mama to Naomi (17) Elijah (11) Ian (8) Jake/Xander/Rachel (7yr old triplets) Aiden (5) and Benjamin (2) ....Homebirthing, EBF, ERF, CD'ing, BW'ing, HS'ing, Co-Sleeping, No-Circ, No Vax, 3 natural VBAC Mama. & now I am a CPST!!!!
shanree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:33 PM   #24
Angel89411
Banned

Violent games are a no. I don't know when the kids will be allowed to play them but I can guarantee it will not be before their age has teen in it. We have a PS3 and have violent games. I play Castlevania. The dude rips chains through lycans for crying out loud. It does not get played while kids are awake. A) We are family focused when kids are up. B) Violence = no.
Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:40 PM   #25
Samandy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinhThiMom View Post
Um, no. Not only would that not be allowed in my home, but DH would not be allowed to play it with the kids in the room. Heck, I turned off the Transformers movie that was on TV because I felt it was too old for DS (6yo). I'm kinda strict about TV/games, though.

Yep!

I'm pretty strict about violence. Swearing I don't have a problem with, but violence is a no go here.
Samandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:27 PM   #26
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Neither DH nor I play any of those games. We both would pick breakout or asteroids over anything that's popular now. Nor would we allow our 11, 9 or 7 year olds to play games like that.

In fact, DH let our boys play a deer hunting game on the wii a few months back (a friend brought it to a sleep over). Well, the next day, I hear the kids playing upstairs. The boys have their nerf guns and they're telling their sister (then 6) that she'll be the deer. I texted DH a big - I told you so.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:43 PM   #27
novemberlily
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanree View Post
Me either.... funny I ran across this thread just now because DH and 3 of my boys are sitting here playing MW3 right now. I only allow multiplayer mode and not campaign mode though because of language. The language in campaign mode is my only real concern. The gameplay part of it is not all the bad IMO. I figure that most or all of my boys will join the military one day.... They have learned all about different guns etc on this game. I don't like games that are gory and slaughter people for no apparent reason, but war games seem different to me. I think images they show in the news of real war gruesomeness in Iraq and Afghanistan is far worse than this animated game.
That's exactly how feel. Like zombie games (which I personally love, especially in multi-player) is something I would def not allow kids to play. It's just senseless killing. The war games I don't have as much of an issue with. I have made my ex shut off games like killzone, which is kind of war-like, but it's some post-apocalyptic or alien thing which is so unrealistic. I dunno maybe MY logic of which games are okay and aren't is flawed because I enjoy most video games.

I don't really understand the logic of letting your kid play zelda or mario when there's killing in those games too :S Poor goombas always getting stomped on lol
novemberlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:56 PM   #28
SewGreenBaby
Registered Users
Formerly: Naturally Pampered
seller
seller

My Mood:
That would be a no here as well. Dh plays it amongst other shooter style games. He'll occasionally turn it on while 4 yo ds is still awake which immediately starts me complaining. He's slowly learning that it's not worth the fight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by novemberlily

I don't really understand the logic of letting your kid play zelda or mario when there's killing in those games too :S Poor goombas always getting stomped on lol
I'm a little iffy on Zelda, but my 4 yo loves sonic and Mario. I tell him that he's "bopping the bad guys". And when he dies, he just "lost" and has to try again. I try to keep it so there are no thoughts of death/killing while he's playing. It's much easier than trying to explain guns or blood.
SewGreenBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:28 AM   #29
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

some of you mentioned it's not gory..that was dh's defense too lol..my problems with it are:
1) the whole point of getting him the game was so that he could play live with his dad in his dads clan. I have issues with a 7 y/o playing live b/c the guys on there get MEAN and cuss constantly.
2) the game gets dh so worked up and POed. I can't imagine what it'd do to a 7 year old
3) I just don't like the idea of killing people for pretend. Not cool with me.

So those are MY issues with it, but dh sees it like some of you where it's a strategy game and not gory so who cares. I just happen to disagree, kwim?
Old 07-10-2012, 12:32 AM   #30
hellodebbie87
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, I get him wanting to bond with his son by playing together... but playing live is not appropriate for a 7 year old.

hellodebbie87 is offline   Reply With Quote