Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-10-2012, 12:40 AM   #31
TrammellyFamily
Registered Users
Foremerly: MeadowAndColtsMama
seller

I'm with you! My ex lets ods play and I HATE it. And ds is 11. No way in heck for a 7 yo! And my dh is a gamer too, but online more geeky type gaming. I like that whatever he plays is in the office alone, not in the living room on big screen. I really dislike games. We don't have a system. Dd had a ds with like zhu zhu pets and Tinkerbell, but it broke. Ds sold his ds because he outgrew it. I was glad.

Advertisement

Old 07-10-2012, 12:41 AM   #32
TrammellyFamily
Registered Users
Foremerly: MeadowAndColtsMama
seller

Oh and live? NOOOO lol. Exdh played live and no way was it kid friendly!
Old 07-10-2012, 08:02 AM   #33
shanree
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Violent Video Games?

we live in the boonies where we can't get highspeed internet, so I don't have to worry about live play. I don't know anyone who has ever played live nor experienced it myself... so I wouldn't know how I would feel about that

To the PP who mentioned the "strategy" of war games..... that is the word I was looking for My DH has a zombie game that I hate and he plays it in our bedroom with the door closed or after the kids go to bed only because it is just nasty. It has scantily clad women, horrible language, simulations of drinking alcohol, and bloody gory mess... To me that is just senseless, but war games make sense to me and are based in reality.

As for the hunting games: I LOVE those. My kids go deer hunting IRL and have their own hunting rifles! I also do't have problems with them playing pretend shooting games with each other. It is the same old "cowboys and Indians" that kids have been playing forever. I don't allow them to say things in anger/frustration like "I'm gonna shoot you," but cooperative imaginary play of cowboys and Indians/cops and robbers or game hunting is fine with me.
JESUS LOVING Wife to Les, Full-Time Mama to Naomi (17) Elijah (11) Ian (8) Jake/Xander/Rachel (7yr old triplets) Aiden (5) and Benjamin (2) ....Homebirthing, EBF, ERF, CD'ing, BW'ing, HS'ing, Co-Sleeping, No-Circ, No Vax, 3 natural VBAC Mama. & now I am a CPST!!!!
shanree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:36 PM   #34
Tish1973
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My son is 6 and plays Call of Duty. I don't *love* it, but my DH and I have compromised. DS is now allowed to play with DH or his Grandpa. DS is amazingly good, as in he's way better than the other 2 and is always coming back to revive them. They mostly play zombies, but also Black Ops. He had more, but we got rid of them.

My son is super smart and super sweet. He has several friends that manhandle him. My son is the gentle giant. If I saw him swearing and wanting to kill things, I would be super concerned, but he doesn't display those kind of behaviors.

He gets that games are games. He watched Pacific with us. We talked about how war should always be a last resort and that those "bad guys" are someones dad, brother, husband, child, etc and that to them we could be the bad guys.

We don't shelter him at all. He hear us say adult words and knows they are only said by adults.
Tish1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:37 PM   #35
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5PrincessMommy View Post
some of you mentioned it's not gory..that was dh's defense too lol..my problems with it are:
1) the whole point of getting him the game was so that he could play live with his dad in his dads clan. I have issues with a 7 y/o playing live b/c the guys on there get MEAN and cuss constantly.
2) the game gets dh so worked up and POed. I can't imagine what it'd do to a 7 year old
3) I just don't like the idea of killing people for pretend. Not cool with me.

So those are MY issues with it, but dh sees it like some of you where it's a strategy game and not gory so who cares. I just happen to disagree, kwim?
My sons are not allowed to wear the headset so they can't hear the language of other players.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:43 PM   #36
JulieBeth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DS is 11. He has an Xbox 360 in his room and plays on Xbox live. (COD, Red Dead Redemption) I have complete control over his account and his settings are pretty strict. Nobody but friends can view his profile. If he is playing online, the only people he can hear are friends. (I have the PW to approve his friends)

He's one of the sweetest, kindest kids you would ever meet. Hates controversy and fighting. We play Black Ops (zombies) as a family all the time. I personally love the game lol

Always in our hearts- 8/30/11, 11 weeks 4 days & 12/16/11, 5 weeks.
JulieBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:23 PM   #37
MrsHappyGoLucky
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

This one made me mad just reading it! My husband is really into that awful game as well. I have a serious problem with violence, language, and "skanky" things! It's our job to protect our kids and bring them up right! I think you're totally in the right on this one

Could you use more energy, fewer health problems or take the guesswork out of nutrition? Try the all natural, whole food concentrate nutritional drink!
Ask me for a free sample! http://bjmitchell.zealforlife.com
MrsHappyGoLucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:38 PM   #38
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivhop98 View Post
My sons are not allowed to wear the headset so they can't hear the language of other players.
step son does not live with us, so the "point" was to get him the game so he can play with dh live. So, he has to wear the headset to talk to dh..but hello, they can still talk on live without playing that game, and there's a thing called a phone.