Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-10-2012, 10:59 AM   #1
mumtwiceover
Registered Users
seller
seller

Is it my responsibility...

To explain what it means if I am shipping from Canada - as in there is no DC?

I always state in any FSOT threads that I am shipping from Canada but don't explain that means it will take longer and that generally I'm not able to provide DC unless someone asks what difference shipping from Canada means.

Should I make a point of telling buyers that things will likely be longer getting to them and that I can only provide receipt and custom info as proof that something shipped??

Thanks

Advertisement

mumtwiceover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:10 AM   #2
drunkenmonkeysmommy1
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is it my responsibility...

I personally would. Not everyone knows that it can take forever to get something from Canada. I had no idea when I first started. I thought the only difference would be was a higher shipping amount and if I was the one shipping, that I would have to go to the po.
If you put it on the bottom of you fsot thread it would clear up any issues in the beginning, so someone in a rush to receive the item does not purchase and then get mad.
No as to if it is required, I do not think it is, I just think it would be nice, and it covers your rear from having to deal with people saying~ but I did not know

just reread what you wrote. Pertaining to the dc, I would say that is your call. The dc is the sellers protection and does not affect the buyer in any way. I honestly do not give out the dc number unless someone ask( I always buy it though). So many people use it as a tracking number(I have been guilty of this myself), and that is not what it is.

Last edited by drunkenmonkeysmommy1; 07-10-2012 at 11:14 AM.
drunkenmonkeysmommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:20 AM   #3
The Peaceful Housewife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would say yes, just to cover yourself so everyone knows what's going on up front.
The Peaceful Housewife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:58 PM   #4
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't think it's your responsibility per say, but personally I would let the buyer know that shipping from Canada means longer shipping times and no DC. A lot of people aren't that familiar with shipping guidelines and simply don't know the difference.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:12 PM   #5
EuphoricDysphoria
Registered Users
Formerly: laubear
seller
seller

My Mood:
I agree with the others. I think you should say something to avoid an upset buyer who may not know how it works to ship from Canada.

Letting people know their package comes with insurance (and tracking if your do expedited) helps with the slow ship time sometimes
Old 07-10-2012, 02:57 PM   #6
mumtwiceover
Registered Users
seller
seller

I generally do say in my communcation that I am shipping from Canada and that i have been getting packages at a specific amount of time (as in right now it's taking aobut a week to get things I buy) and if I ship more than one thing at a time I let the other buyers know when something arrived to someone else and that they should expect their items soon.

I just feel bad when someone comes back to me with - do you have tracking # or it's been so long etc.

I feel like I communicate well with buyers and still feel bad when they are not familiar with international shipping!!!
mumtwiceover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:34 AM   #7
Cute Little Bugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would probably just put in your listings somewhere "Items shipping from Canada, packages can take up to several weeks to arrive".

As for the DC thing, if you are worried you can always purchase insurance from U-pic.com. I don't know what it is from CA - US, but from US - CA it is $1.15 for most packages (it goes up a little if the value is very high). Personally I require insurance for all international packages and include this cost in the shipping price.
Get 5% off with code DSFIVE
Cute Little Bugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:11 AM   #8
I_run_with_scissors
Registered Users
seller
seller

i wouldnt say its your responsibility but i would still do it out of curtsey to your potential buyers. Most buyers know about international shipping but not all do and id personally hate to have a bad transaction because someone didnt understand the wait time ect.

FWIW all international packages have 100 worth of insurance on them already, and its not too expensive to add more if you need it
TTC #4
I_run_with_scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:30 AM   #9
cody82414
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

what is DC?
If I traded with someone I would want to know.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:06 AM   #10
drunkenmonkeysmommy1
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody82414 View Post
what is DC?
If I traded with someone I would want to know.
Ir means delivery confirmation. It just lets you know that it has indeed been delivered. It is actually required on diaperswappers to purchase delivery confirmation when you do a sale or trade (if you are in the states). It is included if you ship through pay pal, but you have to ask for it at the post office. It protects the seller and really has no effect on the buyer.