Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-08-2012, 06:28 PM   #11
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Your thoughts please..... and support

What she did was abusive. I would absolutely report her. I would push as hard as I could to have her removed.

Advertisement

qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:56 PM   #12
TooBusyBearcubs
Registered Users
Formerly: K**ten
seller

My Mood:

I am a Christian, church-going mother myself who has worked in various church nurseries and preschool Sunday school, and I am 100% BEHIND YOU IN NOT LEAVING YOUR CHILD WITH THAT WOMAN AGAIN. Her behavior was unacceptable. Nursery workers are there to help and support you, NOT to question your parenting style or make you feel like a bad mommy.
That said, I wouldn't contact the just the pastor. Most churches have someone (a Children's Ministry, Preschool Ministry, or Discipleship Minister/Leader) who directly oversees Sunday School and their teaching staff/volunteers. Check the church website - their email is probably on there. I would absolutely email the sunday school director, and CC: the pastor.
There are some people who think that their presence in the nursery gives them more authority than they really have. Granted, most nursery workers will try to calm a child down before calling for help, but once it is clear that there is something wrong, it is NOT the nursery worker's job to parent the child. Most churches instruct their workers to call an administrator in at that point, and they go get get the parents.
This woman (and anyone who was present in the room and supporting her inappropriate actions) needs to be removed from the nursery. It does not sound like she is being a good example of Christ's love or compassion to the kids in her care, OR to the parents who place their trust in her.

Last edited by TooBusyBearcubs; 07-08-2012 at 06:58 PM.
TooBusyBearcubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:05 PM   #13
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I don't like the way they talked to you one bit. I would jave told them straight up they were there to watch my child, NOT tell me how to parent. I don't feel comfortable leaving my child anywhere I'm not welcome to stay. And I don't think ignoring a baby his first time alone in the nursery is helpful. What did she have to do? Isn't their whole purpose to play with and watch the children? ?? Reading this makes me sick for you. So sorry mama.

You need to report her behavior, she doesn't sound qualified to watch a child at all....

Last edited by mibarra; 07-08-2012 at 07:07 PM.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:12 PM   #14
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It is natural for kids to cry when being left in a strange place. A good daycare provider will hold the child and attempt to calm the child down the best she can. It sounds like she was vindictive and trying to teach him a "lesson". I would also be livid and I would report her. She was terrible. I am so sorry.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:16 PM   #15
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh my goodness that is horrible. Now way would I ever leave my child with that woman again.

The ladies at our church nursery are all about snuggling and sooting crying babies and if they can't they go get mom or dad.

DS2 would always cry for a few seconds (no more than a minute) and then he would be fine. On the few times he didn't settle right they always came and got me.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:16 PM   #16
TooBusyBearcubs
Registered Users
Formerly: K**ten
seller

My Mood:

Also wanted to add...
As a former nursery worker myself, and a mom of two, I know what separation anxiety looks like. A child who is going through separation anxiety will fuss for a few minutes at the beginning, maybe fuss a couple of times during the service, but be ok most of the rest of the time. What you describe sounds like your LO doesn't trust the people who were taking care of him. Smart kiddo.
Also, you may want to remind those nursery workers that their expectations of the social behavior of toddlers is ridiculous. It is perfectly normal and developmentally appropriate for toddlers to engage in PARALLEL PLAY - playing near each other, but not together. Most kids do not start actively playing together until they are at least 3, sometimes 4 or 5.
Their judgement of your parenting, and their actions based on that judgement, are WAY out of line.
With that, I must stop typing, or I will say something that does not honor Jesus.
Hope you find a church with a more loving and compassionate staff, mama.
TooBusyBearcubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:16 PM   #17
KLJ07
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

What that lady did what NOT ok! I would absolutely be finding another church asap! I really think you need to contact the Pastor and let them know about this lady's actions because she does not need to treat children like that. I know exactly how you feel (even though our nursery is wonderful)...I keep my babes with me for a long time before putting them in the nursery. I think I may have punched that lady in the face in that situation!
KLJ07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:23 PM   #18
jjgammon
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh man, she's lucky it wasn't me. It may be a very un-Christian thing, but I probably would have hauled off & slugged her. I'm a little overprotective of my kids in the wild. At home it's all free range, but I dare someone else to even LOOK at my babies wrong.
My ISO/IHA thread
jjgammon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:33 PM   #19
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor
Before you head off to find another church, if that's what you and DH feel God calling you to do, please speak to the pastor. Even if you leave, he needs to know your reasons so that he can take steps to see it doesn't happen again. Her behavior is not acceptable and she needs to be held accountable for it.

Try to not beat yourself up over this. We all make mistakes, unfortunately, so you are certainly not alone.
This. This lady should NOT be in leadership. It is one thing to offer advice if it is requested but her single "lesson" in the nursery has taught him nothing but to fear other people.

I would definitely bring this up with the pastor...and...as hard as it is...with her.

Wife to Casey Mom to Isaac and Carson Hoping for someone new in 2014
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
Holly dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:39 PM   #20
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

find a new church!
trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote