Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-09-2012, 11:52 AM   #1
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

Do you give baby back things that fall on the restaurant floor?

So we were out at a restaurant with friends and my 7 1/2 month old. She of course likes to drop everything on the floor. I didn't bring any toys because I knew she wouldn't want them, she'd want whatever was on the table. So she played with a succession of napkins and cracker packets. Whenever they fell on the floor (carpeted) I'd just pick it up and give it back to her until I thought they were in a state that she could eat parts off them. But when something fell near a friend she picked it up and put it where the baby couldn't get and said to the baby, "your mommy doesn't want you to have that because it fell on the floor". I felt bad like I was a bad mom giving my baby dirty things. This friend has 3 wonderful kids and so I respect her opinion. I did put hand sanitizer on the high chair but to me the floor is dirty but not germy, the high chair is germy. If I took away things every time she dropped them I'd have to have 50 new things to give her.
Am I a terrible mom? Please tell me you do this too.

Advertisement

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:57 AM   #2
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.
Re: Do you give baby back things that fall on the restaurant floor?

Kids touch and eat far more disgusting thinsg, they also crawl on the floors.

I do not use a shopping cart cover, gasp, I dont sanatize high chairs either, gasp.

Its an American germ phobia really. Kids get dirty and need to eb exposed to things-

I do not think you did anythign wrong and I would not have batted an eye. Maybe I have been in Europe too long where kids are encouraged to get dirty and germy :P
Old 07-09-2012, 11:59 AM   #3
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes I do. I think being exposed to germs are good, I don't want my kids to eat candy or other items off the floor especially if they aren't theirs to begin with, but toys that fell on the floor? Yes, go for it.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:01 PM   #4
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
I like my kids exposed to things to but I won't 'feed' them off a restaurant floor.
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:08 PM   #5
MeCo7707
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If the floor looks nasty no, but for the most part I just don't care...EAT THE GERMS!!!!
Old 07-09-2012, 12:11 PM   #6
Bhavana
Registered Users

My Mood:

Nope...you are not. While I would try my damn hardest to not have the baby drop anything on the floor-just so I dont have to bend and pick up- I WOULD hand it back to the baby and ensure that she doesnt put it in her mouth plus wash our hands before we start eating.

Honestly, I think your friend was 'teaching' you... a little condescending since you are a first-time mom. If I were in your place, I would've been embarassed too, BUT I would've protested saying "Its OK, Im watching her" because lets face it, most kids get antsy at restaurants. She's just 7mos old....dirty/clean has no place in her vocab yet.

I understand that your friend was trying to help(and by repeatedly saying it, your daughter will soon get it, BUT, that was not the setting to have done that. I would've thanked her if she told me "Hey, you cant always ensure she doesnt put her fingers near her mouth.....give her a spoon/tissue to play with" and not make a passive-aggressive statement obviously directed at me, but to a baby who doesnt care two hoots.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:13 PM   #7
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
Dd1 I did if the floor wasnt carpet-carpet personally grosses me out b/c you can never really get it clean. I would just 'wash' (with one of those antigerm towelettes)her hands before she ate. Dd2 never b/c she was a very mouthy baby and every.single.thing. went straight into her mouth long after she stopped testing gravity lol

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).

Last edited by my2sweets; 07-09-2012 at 12:14 PM.
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:16 PM   #8
isaacsmum
Registered Users

Unless the floor looks really nasty, I don't worry about germs and just give my kids back the things they dropped. I'm of the opinion that germ exposure is good for health kids, as is getting to play with and explore things at the table with us. I wouldn't want to take that away.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:18 PM   #9
TS8213
Registered Users

My Mood:

I did the same thing with my kids and they're pretty healthy! I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.
TS8213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:18 PM   #10
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

Well, she was chewing on the stuff, everything goes in her mouth. I'm just not sure of a way to keep her occupied without things going in her mouth and on the floor. We have two dogs too, I know one day she's going to be chewing on the dog kongs. She hasn't suffered any ill effects from the "contaminated" napkins and cracker packets.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote