Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-09-2012, 12:26 PM   #11
cacasey1981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you give baby back things that fall on the restaurant floor?

Unless the floor is really gross we don't care. Our son got to touch a snake at the zoo and the lady pointed to the hand sanitizer and I said "Its okay, we're not worried about germs". She was happily surprised and said that people freak out for the hand sanitizer after touching the snake but don't care at all about the playground.

Advertisement

Wife to Brandon - my high school sweetheart (Oct 00), delaying vaccs as best we can and WOH parents to Trent (Nov 08) our intact, formerly ERF, slightly son and Lilly (May 12) our , maybe one day , and (for now) daughter (my hypnobaby).
cacasey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:31 PM   #12
Alikhlas
Registered Users
seller

I gave my daughter stuffshe dropped all the time. My in laws thought I was the nastiest mom ever. My mil wouldn't even use a burpcloth that fell on the floor, even at home. I wish she knew what was in disposables....

I rmr one friend was playing with baby and she dropped a toy. I told her its okay to give it back. She looked at me a little funny, said okay, then pulled out her flavored hand sanitizer and rubbed it all over the toy, then blew on it to dry the sanitizer. I have no doubt that she made it dirtier than the floor did.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Alikhlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:34 PM   #13
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yes, we do. We don't sanitize anything.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:35 PM   #14
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

I didn't and still don't give DS things that fall on restaurant floors (DS is almost 2). I don't mind germs but the floor of a restaurant - yuck. What I did for when he was a baby was get a couple packs of those cheap carseat toys (you know, the ones that have velcro bands that hook around the top of a infant bucket seat handle) and strapped them to his wrist so he could play but not drop them. Also, I got a couple paci clips and used those to clip toys to him so they wouldn't hit the floor.

But don't take my opinion for it, because I'm one of those crazy moms who DID (until very recently) use the cart cover and all that fun stuff. Yeah, I know. Duck and cover and all that....LOL
Mom2Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:45 PM   #15
amomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm going to be the odd ball. That grosses me out. I am a total germaphobe and not afraid to admit it! I still use a shopping cart cover for my 2 year old. I am constantly wiping her hands with wipes, telling her not to touch her face or put her hands in her mouth. If a toy touches any public surface it goes in the bag and I wash it when we get home. Same with pacifiers. I wasn't like this until DD1 was about 10 months old and she got strep throat, herpengina, roseola, rsv, the stomach flu, 3 colds, and 2 unexplained fevers all within 3 months. I was DONE with her being sick so I got crazy about germs! That being said, I don't judge others that don't care All of my friends think I am crazy. I don't think they are crazy or wrong for doing those things with their kids, I just choose to do differently with my own.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:02 PM   #16
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenajean1 View Post
Kids touch and eat far more disgusting thinsg, they also crawl on the floors.

I do not use a shopping cart cover, gasp, I dont sanatize high chairs either, gasp.

Its an American germ phobia really. Kids get dirty and need to eb exposed to things-

I do not think you did anythign wrong and I would not have batted an eye. Maybe I have been in Europe too long where kids are encouraged to get dirty and germy :P
Me too. I am probably one of the least germaphobic people I know. I do think it does good things for kids to build up resistance to germs (provided their immune systems aren't compromised or something). I don't wipe down shopping carts, I don't wipe high chairs, I don't wash my hands before I eat. I did do those things when DD1 was little--she had a really really poor immune system and her white blood count was scary low, and her immunoglobins were all messed up... But in general, that's not for me.

You can bet I would have handed my kid stuff off the floor. Now maybe if it was a gummy piece of fruit that came up with hair and ick on it, no. But playthings and the like? Absolutely!
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:10 PM   #17
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

I most certainly do. Within reason.

http://www.king5.com/health/Girls-wh...123280248.html

it's pointed towards girls and outdoor play (because studies show that parents of girls neglect to give them the same amounts of outdoor play that boys recieve) but the idea is the same

"There is some thought that getting exposed to things, even parasites and different microbial elements in the dirt, might actually improve the overall immunity that a child develops," he said.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:16 PM   #18
nicolemariep
Registered Users
seller

As far as the comment about high chairs being germy, while floors are not, I have to say that after doing bacterial swabs of the bottoms of shoes and floors they have TONS of bacteria. People step in dirt and spit and poo and track it everywhere that their shoes touch.

However with that said, I totally give my kids stuff off of the floor. In fact when we went out to dinner on Friday, my 3 year old spent 1/2 the time that we were waiting for food crawling under the table to grab crayons that my 1 year old dropped. Most bacteria won't hurt ya. Let kids be kids
Old 07-09-2012, 02:17 PM   #19
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacasey1981 View Post
Unless the floor is really gross we don't care. Our son got to touch a snake at the zoo and the lady pointed to the hand sanitizer and I said "Its okay, we're not worried about germs". She was happily surprised and said that people freak out for the hand sanitizer after touching the snake but don't care at all about the playground.
we wash our hands after touching snakes and other animals. DD just fed the giraffe and llamas at the zoo. When I worked at a wildlife refuge, we asked the kids who touched the snake or baby alligators to please go wash their hands. We didn't provide hand sanitizer if we were out at an expo or something, but if we were at the office/visitor center, we reminded them.

salmonella. yuck. Ideally, people would wash their hands before touching them as well as animals that are handled often by varied people generally live shorter lives...
Old 07-09-2012, 02:28 PM   #20
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor View Post
What I did for when he was a baby was get a couple packs of those cheap carseat toys (you know, the ones that have velcro bands that hook around the top of a infant bucket seat handle) and strapped them to his wrist so he could play but not drop them. Also, I got a couple paci clips and used those to clip toys to him so they wouldn't hit the floor.
Great idea! Thanks, I'm going to try that next time.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote