Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-30-2012, 07:38 AM   #21
VinhThiMom
Vinh Thi Designs
Formerly: chrisnsteph1022
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: If cost was not an option

We've always used a (nice) center and we LOVED it. Their last day was Friday and we all cried. They went there for 5 years. It was an early learning center, so they had structured learning, but also plenty of play time. Nice playground to use, educated and certified teachers, worked with me on food allergies, had no issues using cloth diapers for both kids. They made some great friends there and I wouldn't have done it any different. When we first adopted, we interviewed some nannies, but decided we didn't want to rely on ONE person, who may get sick, go on vacation, or possibly hurt our children because they're alone with that one person. I prefer the safety and security of a center (which had online cameras that I could log onto from work and watch my kids' classrooms).

Advertisement

VinhThiMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:57 AM   #22
kai_e
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Our boys are similar ages (4yrs and 2 1/2) and we have had all three options: in-home DCP, center and right now we have a nanny. At the time each of them was the perfect option given the kids ages, our work schedule and finances.

Right now DS2 is in summer pre-school session and the hours are different so she is handling bus pick up/drop off and shuttling to and from swim lessons etc. In addition to our two, she is watching their cousins - 8y, 6 and 4 and they have all loved being with their cousins 5x a week.

I think the answer to which one will best for you depends on the bolded.
kai_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:10 AM   #23
meeshkasheeba
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We have chosen to go to Montessori. Here, they start at 3 and go through 14. Our kids love it (well, the oldest, the baby starts in 2 weeks) It is a safe loving environment that helps them to learn HOW to learn on their own and it sets them up to be able to homeschool well. We dont know that we will ever get to that point, but it is nice to know that they would be ready to do so if need be. If we had tiny ones I would pick a nanny in my home with no other children.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:18 AM   #24
GirlyGirls3
Banned

My Mood:

I am a SAHM, but if I were to have to work, and money was not an option, I would definitely choose a nanny over a daycare center. I am picky about what my kiddos eat, and I know that even good in home daycares serve hot dogs, canned vegetables (SO much sodium!) and fruit in heavy corn syrup occasionally. Also, my kiddos would be able to be on their own schedule, eat/sleep/snack/play when they wanted to, as opposed to the day cares schedule. Also, they will get more one on one attention/affection. I'm not sure what the price difference is, but even if it was just a bit more expensive, I would go with a nanny, definitely. I also think that it would be really neat to get a nanny that speaks english and spanish (or another foreign language). Your kiddo could end up being bi-lingual! Kids that know more than 1 language have a higher IQ, and have an easier time learning subsequent languages.
GirlyGirls3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:26 AM   #25
GirlyGirls3
Banned

My Mood:

If you are concerned about her driving your kids, I'd ask for her driving record, and I would definitely put some good car seats in her car, and make sure they are properly installed (you can take them to a car seat check site). I don't know how old your kids are, but definitely keep them in a 5 point harness, even if they've exceeded the 40 lb. limit of most car seats. Just get another car seat that harnesses up to 60 lbs.
GirlyGirls3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:38 PM   #26
Lilybug1
Registered Users
seller

I have a nanny and I love, love, love her and so do my children. I trust her completely. She helps me aroudn the house (does our laundry, ironing, light cleaning) and sometimes she even cooks if I requests it. She also cooks the kids food. She is so patient with them and super energetic.

I love that I don't have to run around in the morning packing a baby bag with bottles, food for a daycare, etc. I love that when my babies are little, I know they are getting 1-on-1 attention.

It has it's drawbacks. For example, if your nanny gets sick, you need to take off work or find alternatve coverage. My nanny was hospitalized for a week because she came down with pneumonia and it was tough to patch together childcare. If she was in daycare, the daycare would work it out. Of course, daycare has it's issues too, in that you are not supposed to send your kid there, if they are sick.

It's definitely more expensive, but I have enough Mommy guilt from working so, in my mind, the nanny is the next best thing.
Lilybug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:42 PM   #27
Lilybug1
Registered Users
seller

Oh and as far as the socialization thing, my kids have cousins who live a few blocks away (and are also cared for by nannies) so they play with them. My oldest started PK3 last year and in some ways, she is a totally social child and did fine in school. In some ways, she is not nearly as aggressive as some of the others kids, but I wouldn't say that the most aggressive/forward kids were the ones who have been daycare/preschool longer, but rather some of them with older siblings who actually may not be picking up on the best social cues. I'm not really talking about this as a general rule, but one particularly mean little girl in my daughter's class.
Lilybug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:44 PM   #28
KristianaMichelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm thinking I would probably go with a Nanny and make sure the kids have some structured time with other kids outside of the home. Like taking them to the Y or something a long those lines. I definitely think with your older son doing part-time preschool that will really help out with that, too.
KristianaMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:24 AM   #29
hannahmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i'm with flynnsmom. my dd loves the vibe of a few extra kids, though we had rotating childcare coop where a provider came to our houses and we shared costs 3 ways. it worked really well.
hannahmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:54 AM   #30
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

If cost was no barrier, I'd love to have a nanny. Someone who can run errands, take the kids to play groups, lessons etc on the days I wasn't home/working from home, take DD1 to the bus for kindergarten and pick her back up. It'd be nice to let DD2 have naps in her own crib, play with her own toys, be able to take care of them if they're not feeling well, and have someone there who really knows my kids. And if I could afford a nanny or child care, I could work more similar hours to my husband and be home with him more often.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote