Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-06-2012, 06:45 PM   #1
sasra_nu
Registered Users
seller

Childcare for School-Aged Kids When School's Out

Wasn't sure exactly how to title this, it's been a long day

I just started working full time. My DD is in preschool, which is actually a half day of preschool and a half day of basically daycare till my DH picks her up at 3:30. Her preschool is part of a private school, and they unfortunately have some days they are not in session but I will have to work (Christmas break, spring break, etc).

We just moved to the area and literally don't know anyone except the people we work with and our neighbors - who are all elderly and don't have children. We need to find childcare for these times when DD's school is not in session. (and our tuition is prorated for the weeks we are off- so I will have the $ to pay - I just need to find a childcare provider)

How should I go about finding someone? Will a home daycare provider take kids on a temporary basis like that? Should i post a flyer at the grocery store looking for a responsible teen girl or SAHM who would want to earn some $? (Obviously, I would meet with someone 1st and do a couple hours of a trial before just dropping her off all day.)

We really like her school and don't want to switch. We are pretty rural and there isn't much to pick from anyway when it comes to preschool/childcare.

Advertisement

Last edited by sasra_nu; 07-06-2012 at 06:58 PM.
sasra_nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:29 PM   #2
doodah
Registered Users
seller

Re: Childcare for School-Aged Kids When School's Out

There are many daycares that offer drop in/daily rates or temporary care. I would go with one of those first because you can find an established daycare and that may be more reliable than a teenage or even a SAHM (who probably would have holiday plans and other stuff going on during the times you need someone!). Check on craigslist, care.com, sittercity. Let all your friends know that you are looking for this type of service. Make sure they know that you have a preschooler, not a school ager because many daycares stop taking kids at age 5 and if they hear "school ager", you may get an instant no. Ask the teachers at your daughters daycare, the secretary, the other parents.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:32 AM   #3
sasra_nu
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodah View Post
There are many daycares that offer drop in/daily rates or temporary care. I would go with one of those first because you can find an established daycare and that may be more reliable than a teenage or even a SAHM (who probably would have holiday plans and other stuff going on during the times you need someone!). Check on craigslist, care.com, sittercity. Let all your friends know that you are looking for this type of service. Make sure they know that you have a preschooler, not a school ager because many daycares stop taking kids at age 5 and if they hear "school ager", you may get an instant no. Ask the teachers at your daughters daycare, the secretary, the other parents.
Thanks mama... drop in care, THAT's what I need - I couldn't think of a name for it! I just returned to work after 5 years as a SAHM and this is all new to me. My DD will be 5 in October but technically not ACTUALLY school-age yet - she can't start kindy till fall 2013 as she misses the cutoff by 1 month.

It looks like some of the park districts in the town where I work do drop-in care sometimes over school breaks. So I'll be looking into that, asking at school for recommendations, etc. Surely other parents have the same issue and they have some advice. For the random one-day holidays like MLK day, I can always take a day off work (or DH can) - we are both really lucky and get like 18 PTO days.

Hopefully I won't even need to worry about this till Christmas break - I'm just such a planner and like to have loose ends like this nailed down well in advance! I agree that I'd prefer a daycare center just for reliability reasons over a SAHM/teen, but if I found one of the latter who I felt was reliable/trustworthy, I would be willing to go that route.
sasra_nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:34 PM   #4
flynnsmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

A college student would be great if you can find one. We have a girl who is home for summer for such a need and is awesome and responsible.