Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-09-2012, 02:25 PM   #1
lalaura
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My sister in law has lice and my kids were blamed...

MIL texted me telling me I had to check my girls heads because while my sister in law was getting her hair done they noticed lice. MIL also stated she used my sister in laws hair brush on my kids hair when we were on vacation and that is how my sis in law got it.

Well maybe I'm blind but I have checked their heads and don't see a thing.

Any tips on how to spot it? I'm pretty sure I'm not blind and do have an idea what it looks like

please excuse craziness - I am on my phone

Advertisement

Proud SAHM to 2 beautiful girls J (03/11/07) and Z (01/18/10)
lalaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:28 PM   #2
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalaura
MIL texted me telling me I had to check my girls heads because while my sister in law was getting her hair done they noticed lice. MIL also stated she used my sister in laws hair brush on my kids hair when we were on vacation and that is how my sis in law got it.

Well maybe I'm blind but I have checked their heads and don't see a thing.

Any tips on how to spot it? I'm pretty sure I'm not blind and do have an idea what it looks like

What color is their hair? It's not too hard to see it in light hair. In darker hair, just keep doing small section by section looking.. And honestly I'd do a treatment if my kids shared a brush with her because eggs could have been in her hair already at that time.

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:32 PM   #3
Mac & Cheeses mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
The adult lice are brown bugs they are about the size of an earwig but look different. They attach little white eggs I the base of the hair shaft it is attached and the only way to get it off is to slide it down the strand of hair.

I'd your kids have it and it was bad enough to to spread to your SIL then you would see the adult lice as it take a huge infestation to spread. Also against common belief they like cleaner hair better then dirty. She could have gotten them from somewhere else.

HTH. I have had lice it is not fun. I am very buggy about my head when it itches now, and psoriasis in my scalp sucks! Anyway, it is harder to see lice on brunette hair than any other because lice can hide in the hair easier.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:32 PM   #4
lalaura
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeDeeLenae

What color is their hair? It's not too hard to see it in light hair. In darker hair, just keep doing small section by section looking.. And honestly I'd do a treatment if my kids shared a brush with her because eggs could have been in her hair already at that time.
They both have light brown hair. Not light enough to be considered brown but not super dark.

I was thinking the same thing I am just not amused.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:41 PM   #5
MinkaK
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: My sister in law has lice and my kids were blamed...

If it has been long enough time that her children had so many of them that it was noticeable, then it wasn't from your kids. My hair is a golden brown and when I had lice as a kid, my mom was able to find them easily and get rid of it. I would check them carefully just in case now, esp since they shared a brush. ( and what is up with the nastiness directed at you?, jeez)
Old 07-09-2012, 02:42 PM   #6
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yeah, if they got it from your family then you would have it. It's not like lice just goes away on it's own.

Google some pictures. It's not hard to spot once you know what you are looking for.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:43 PM   #7
sojomisa
Registered Users
seller

I don't get their assumption that your kids gave it to SIL.

I agree with treating just to be safe!

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain. - Vivian Greene
sojomisa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:44 PM   #8
lalaura
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinkaK
If it has been long enough time that her children had so many of them that it was noticeable, then it wasn't from your kids. My hair is a golden brown and when I had lice as a kid, my mom was able to find them easily and get rid of it. I would check them carefully just in case now, esp since they shared a brush. ( and what is up with the nastiness directed at you?, jeez)
Yes I'm very upset about the nastiness towards us. My SIL is an adult and I'm pretty sure I'd notice live since I do my kids hair. Im having my DH check when he gets home but I don't think we have it

Old 07-09-2012, 02:44 PM   #9
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Why would she just assume you gave it to her instead of the other way around?

You were on vacation right what if her pillow had lice eggs on it?

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here. I Twice $10 off on your first order at Twice.
Agla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:44 PM   #10
sojomisa
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmisterkitty View Post
Yeah, if they got it from your family then you would have it. It's not like lice just goes away on it's own.

Google some pictures. It's not hard to spot once you know what you are looking for.
*shudder* I just did this. They look fairly easy to see. Maybe take the kids outside in natural light to recheck just to be sure.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain. - Vivian Greene
sojomisa is online now   Reply With Quote