Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-09-2012, 04:45 PM   #1
melyndie
Registered Users
seller

The short story is a week and a half ago, I moved the wrong way and caused the coccyx (very end of tailbone) to get shoved too far in (toward my front). In the first few days it was really painful, but with chiro adjustments and rest, it now mostly only hurts when I try sitting. I can't sit for more than a few minutes, and it isn't comfortable. It is a very difficult part of the body to adjust, and my chiropractor thinks it is quite likely the coccyx will be misplaced until birth when Baby's head will push it into place.

I am due on Friday and, obviously, a little concerned about how labor and birth will go. I am planning a natural waterbirth or water labor, at least, at home with an experienced doula and midwives. This will be my first all-natural birth. I have been assured that I will not feel the coccyx move back into place during birth, and I can believe that. But I am concerned about how I will cope with labor if I can't be in certain positions or standing too long without pain. I also wonder if the contracting of muscles around the uterus will also pull on my tailbone, causing me that pain on top of labor pain.

Have any of you gone through childbirth with a tailbone injury and can share with me what the reality of labor will look like?

Advertisement

Last edited by melyndie; 07-09-2012 at 04:53 PM.
melyndie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:50 PM   #2
leadmare
Registered Users
seller

Re: Birth with an injured tailbone

Your post is incomplete, but just offering some support. At some point in my life, my tailbone broke, and healed a little "pointed in". I was fine giving birth. My midwife was awesome, and now post-birth it is "opened up" more and we don't expect any issues with subsequent births. As long as you trust your midwife or doctor, I am sure you will be fine. Have an awesome birth, momma!
leadmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:55 PM   #3
melyndie
Registered Users
seller

The post is done now! My phone sent it at first when I was still typing.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:22 PM   #4
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I broke my tailbone while giving birth to my first. I felt a "pop" at one point, but wasn't quite sure what it was at the time. Later I realized that must have been what it was.

I would guess that if it does move back, you might feel something, but probably not enough to cause you extra pain aside from just giving birth.

It was still not completely healed when I gave birth to my second 13 months later, and I was freaked out, but had zero issues that time around.

Sitting on a birthing ball was the most comfortable, as it took pressure off of my tailbone. Sitting on the ball and leaning over the bed was also pretty comfortable for me. You should be able to find some position that you are comfortable in without putting too much pressure on it.

I would guess that it will be quite sore afterwards, and that was the worst part for me, healing after it broke. I wasn't able to sit on it for a couple of months, and then I wasn't able to sit for long periods without pain for over a year. It's been almost 5 years and now it only bothers me when I sit for several hours, but it's slight.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:04 PM   #5
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

I broke my tailbone while giving birth to my oldest... felt the pressure and a huge pop, but didn't notice it being more pain than childbirth already is, at the time of birth. Afterward, I sure felt it though and it's never healed right. I wouldn't worry about it during labor, causing you extra pain. My mother broke her tailbone as a child and during childbirth (first baby), felt a huge pop while giving birth. After that, she said it didn't bother her anymore and it didn't break with any of the rest of us, during birth (6 more babies after that one).
The rest of my babies have been c-sections, so I can't help you on that one!
You'll have to update us if you feel like it got better from baby going through it though! Maybe it'll feel bruised and sore after childbirth, but then feel better after it's readjusted into place and there is no swelling? (that'd be my guess).
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:50 PM   #6
leadmare
Registered Users
seller

Just thought of something else. After birth my tailbone was very sore; it lasted probably 4-6 weeks. Get one of those foam donut things! $20 for a foam one at Rite-Aid or Walgreens. It was a life saver. Let's you sit without putting pressure on that area.

Also, in terms of the birth itself, I had a birthing pool which was great for much of the birth and for sitting in after, but I ended up having the baby come out of me outside of the pool. With my tailbone the midwife had to help rotate the baby to go around my tailbone. We couldn't quite work that in the pool.

And so excited for you to have an all natural home water birth! It was the best most empowering experience! My husband and I wouldn't do it any other way. It'll be awesome for you too, I am sure
leadmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:52 PM   #7
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I broke my tailbone when my 4th was a year. It hurt for months and I conceived three months later. I had a home waterbirth and all was well, it hurt no more than any of the others. In fact I am confident it helped.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:26 AM   #8
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

A potential doula client of mine was told that she shouldn't vbac because of a tailbone problem, but then she went into labor and birthed before they could do the csection! I believe hers was broken? Anyway it didn't seem to be a huge issue after all for her and she was thrilled.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:41 AM   #9
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
A potential doula client of mine was told that she shouldn't vbac because of a tailbone problem, but then she went into labor and birthed before they could do the csection! I believe hers was broken? Anyway it didn't seem to be a huge issue after all for her and she was thrilled.
That seems pretty ridiculous. My tailbone injury was from birth, still broken the second time I went into labor, and suspected to break with each delivery after that, and C-section was still only thrown out as an option in case I didn't want to go through that again. Never pushed though.

Luckily my next 2 babies were smaller, under 7lbs instead of my 8lb 1oz first baby, so I haven't had anymore issues. I do get more nervous the further along I am though, it's not something I would want anyone to ever have to go through.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:50 AM   #10
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraElise View Post
That seems pretty ridiculous. My tailbone injury was from birth, still broken the second time I went into labor, and suspected to break with each delivery after that, and C-section was still only thrown out as an option in case I didn't want to go through that again. Never pushed though.

Luckily my next 2 babies were smaller, under 7lbs instead of my 8lb 1oz first baby, so I haven't had anymore issues. I do get more nervous the further along I am though, it's not something I would want anyone to ever have to go through.
Yes, well in my town we have a certain practice that is supposed to be very natural-birth friendly, but I just get weird vibes from it. It's the only practice with a CNM, so they get a LOT of women trying to get in, and it's actually nearly impossible to become a client if you aren't already before becoming pregnant. Many women have had natural births, but I've heard from just as many women who were told that they needed elective c-sections for rather suspect reasons. I was just happy to hear the birth story from my ex-client. She was really disappointed that she was advised against the VBAC, and so happy when she birthed her healthy baby girl without surgery!