Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-19-2012, 09:27 PM   #21
TofuScramble
Registered Users
Formerly: DesertMomma

My Mood:
On various types of pills I had weight gain, no sex drive, acne. With Mirena my sex drive is awesome, no weight gain, but I do get a zit or two when I have my period. But it clears up after my cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Advertisement

TofuScramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:35 PM   #22
redheadinlove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: considering IUD - opinions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br2me View Post
i was going to get one at my 8wk p checkup...but the more i thought about it and prayed about it...i decided against it...

yes we think that we are done but we are open to blessings...however with a IUD in place to me it felt like I was taking away any chance of any little blessings (since if you become pg with an IUD it has to be removed and will more likely cause a miscarraige) sooo for me (and by the way i was going with the plastic mirena) i decided that I couldn't take away teh onyl way for God to give us a blessing...i mean even if i had my tubes tied HE could still bless us BUT with an IUD i was told there was no safe way to carry a baby with it in place and i felt like takign that much control was not what i needed to do...

that being said Dh and i have decided that if there is ever another blessing then i will hae my tubes tied while having the csection...

but a IUD is not for me

it might work great for some...just not for us
So was your decision entirely personal? Did you have any objections to the device itself?
redheadinlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:06 AM   #23
Jody1492
Registered Users
seller

I had postpartum depression and had mood problems with the hormones in pills before that happened, so the last thing I wanted to do after having my daughter was go back on the pill. My psychologist recommended the Mirena or a copper IUD. I didn't get a copper IUD because I was concerned about the heavy periods you can get, so I got the Mirena. The insertion was painful (if I do it again I'll ask for more painkillers than just advil) and I had cramps (like a period) for the first month, but after that it has been great. I haven't had any mood issues related to the hormones and I have very light periods. I like that it is a pretty certain method (I got pregnant right away with my daughter when I stopped birth control and with the depression I knew I wasn't ready for another) and that I can remove it and have another whenever I am ready. Good luck!
Jody1492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:19 AM   #24
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have had the paraguard (copper) in place since 6 mos PP, so just about one year. Before DD I used various bc pills and then the nuvaring for years.
Pros:
-I love not having to do anything. Even remembering to insert and then take out the ring once a month was too tough for me, lol. Given the speed at which DD was conceived, I am shocked that we never had an oops pg in 10 years of me forgetting pills.
-I love that it's hormone-free. The main reason was at 6 mos we were still going strong with BF, and I didn't want bc pills to interfere. AF DID come back maybe 2 mos after insertion, but that certainly could have been coincidence, and we continued to ebf for another 6 mos after that (then slowly weaned).
-I love that DH can't feel it. The ring was sometimes... uncomfortable.
-DH loves that I no longer feel the need to store my BC in the fridge
-I use a cup now, and the nuvaring would definitely interfere with the cup. I can't picture trying to juggle both in a bathroom stall in the office!
Cons:
-AF is appearing on a much more "natural" cycle... I used to be able to predict within 6 hours, now it's "plus or minus 3-4 days."
-Ummm, that's pretty much it.

Here's the thing: Yes, AF is definitely different (flow is different, overall pattern, PMS symptoms...) but, bc she did not reappear until AFTER the paraguard was inserted, I truly don't know if the differences are IUD-related or PP-related. KWIM?
Insertion was not the most fun thing ever but nothing compared to natural childbirth. I had horrendous cramps for several hours afterwards and DH had to come home to take care of DD bc I was afraid I would drop her. After that... no problems.
As far as the copper, the Paraguard (not sure if it's ALL copper IUD's) is only good for 5 years. In five years or sooner, we will either be ready for #2, or decide that #2 is not in the cards and we'll get it removed, and DH will go in for a snippety-snip. So we're not planning on a long time.