Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-10-2012, 10:14 AM   #21
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Babysitters!

We pay approx. $10/hr. I'm sure it has to do with whether you live in a HCOL area or not. I would never dream of paying less than that and I doubt anyone qualified would take it. For an actual nanny or adult babysitter I would expect to pay closer to $15/hr. Average DC cost approx. $300-$350 weekly. You could probably get down to $200 for an in-home or something.

As a result we don't go out much which is fine but that is pretty much what it costs. I grew up in Southern California in another HCOL area and $8-$10 was pretty standard there even in the 90's.

Advertisement

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:27 PM   #22
TooBusyBearcubs
Registered Users
Formerly: K**ten
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimeclothmomma View Post
We pay $10/hour for a high school senior to babysit our LO. (which we've only done like twice). It is an awful lot to shell out, but to me, it's the lowest I'd ever pay. As a teenager I'd be insulted if someone wanted to throw $5/hour at me, and likely wouldn't take the job. And I wouldn't trust anyoen younger to watch my 1 year old, even if he is sleeping, simply to justify paying them a little less.

This girl still has to drive to our house and provide services for him if necessary. Gas here isn't cheap (I'm in New England), neither is any recreational activity she might want to do in life (the movies are $13.75 for cryin out loud) so to me, it justifies the cost. We rarely use a sitter, so perhaps if it was something we had to do a lot more frequently, I'd try to beg family members or friends to watch him for free.
I agree. Now that I am a mom, I cringe at paying $10/hr, but honestly, much less than that, and the job isn't really worth the sitter's while, IMO. Money is tight for everybody, and the kids are worth it. We have both sets of grandparents local, however, so I haven't had to do that very often.
When I was sitting and nannying regularly(approx 15years ago), I never got offered any less than $8/hr. Most parents offered at least $10, and some added and extra dollar or two an hour per child. Nannying, I started around $8/hr a couple times a week, but they increased my wage and hours regularly, so I was around $13/hr by the time I stopped working for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpforever View Post
We have 3 kids. (10, 5, and 4) We pay that rate for all 3 to a teen. She deserves it. She has been peed on and experienced a serious poop accident last year when our then new 3yo was potty training. That poop accident convinced DS2 to poop on the potty. I pink sparkly heart her for dealing with it.
I would pink sparkly heart her for that, too! A good babysitter does a LOT more than just sit around. A competent babysitter who will prepare a meal (even if it is just sandwiches), give baths, referee arguments, and do what they can to maintain the kids' normal routine, all while making sure they don't have any life-threatening accidents while Mom & Dad are gone...totally worth the money!

Last edited by TooBusyBearcubs; 07-10-2012 at 01:28 PM.
TooBusyBearcubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:02 PM   #23
kaimon
Registered Users
seller

$10/$11 per hour for a college student with experience. Don't know any teenagers in the area so I don't know what they get paid.

I got $3 an hour when I was a teen. I guess that's laughable now!
Old 07-10-2012, 05:05 PM   #24
Funnyfarmmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanree View Post
wow, we are cheap skates then..... we pay our 21 year old niece $20 for 3-4 hours when dh and I go out on a date night and she keeps all 8 kids. Feeds them supper, puts them to bed, ans cleans up any mess made!
This is the kind of deal we get too We have some Wonderful teenager girls at our church that have agreed to watching our 5 kids for $5 an hour!!! I was paying them $7 an hour but they all said that $5 was fine for them and they range from 15-18! We are Blessed
Old 07-10-2012, 05:06 PM   #25
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We pay about $9/10 an hour. This is why we don't go out too much. I think it is too high for babysitting.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:55 PM   #26
lms43005
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I must be cheap..lol..I pay our 16 yo sitter $10 to sit with the kids while they sleep for 4-5 hrs..
Old 07-10-2012, 08:07 PM   #27
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanree View Post
wow, we are cheap skates then..... we pay our 21 year old niece $20 for 3-4 hours when dh and I go out on a date night and she keeps all 8 kids. Feeds them supper, puts them to bed, ans cleans up any mess made!
Us too! Although we just have 3 kids. I don't understand why teenage babysitters would cost $10/hour. Here you can put them in day care (8-10 hours) for $12 per day, and a lot of times you can get a discount on the second kid. When I was babysitting I used to make about $10 per day. And that wasn't that long ago, and it wasn't minimum wage for sure, but I liked it and was glad to have the $.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:39 PM   #28
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
Us too! Although we just have 3 kids. I don't understand why teenage babysitters would cost $10/hour. Here you can put them in day care (8-10 hours) for $12 per day, and a lot of times you can get a discount on the second kid. When I was babysitting I used to make about $10 per day. And that wasn't that long ago, and it wasn't minimum wage for sure, but I liked it and was glad to have the $.
Wow! I wouldn't trust a $12 daycare! Here, even the cheapest daycares are still $40 a day for infants and $35 for potty trained kids! If I paid a teen $20 for the whole evening, she would probably never come back!

I try to keep my sitter happy. That way, she rearranges her social calendar to sit for me and never tells me no.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:22 PM   #29
Reality
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivparker View Post
We pay $10/hr for 5 kids but very reluctantly. I really don't get why so much is expected. Over here min wage is about $7.50/hr. Watching my 5 kids is probably easier then most jobs working at McDonalds or whatever where they would make just min wage plus have to pay taxes and social security. But I pay that much because that is what the going rate is and I don't want to offend the babysitter. I am secretly hoping that we find a babysitter that tells us to only pay them $5/hr. Even if we go out to eat it would be at least 3 hours and with the cost of dinner and $30 for a babysitter, needless to say, we hardly ever go out.
So you would be ok with paying someone ONE dollar an hour per kid!! Wow!
Reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:22 PM   #30
Bentley'sMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

We pay $15 an hour for ds (20 months) and the sitters range from 16-19. When I babysat (7-10 years ago) I got paid $8-10 an hour for 2-3 kids.
Bentley'sMomma is offline   Reply With Quote